06 GT Mod Suggestions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

06 GT Mod Suggestions

Novice here looking for some guidance from those of you who have done it all and are willing to share their suggestions on mods that I should prioritize. I bought my first Mustang a little over one year ago and it has 35K miles on it today. My new 20 in Motegi Racing wheels go on tomorrow with a staggered setup. Everything else on the car is stock. I have spent quite a bit of time reading through threads on here before joining and it seems that suggestions for best bang for you buck mods are kind of all over the place. Whatever I do first will be accompanied with a tune so anyone nice enough to provide me with suggestions should assume I will do that. Looking forward to your feedback!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017
PONY Member

Garage
Cold air intake with a tune is very popular. So are axle-back exhausts, if you aren't satisfied with your current exhaust sound. If you are, leave it alone.
I went with the cat-back ford racing exhaust with a tune, on my previous Mustang. I was very pleased with that set up. I also added a strut tower brace, push button trunk release, push button start and hood struts.

On my current GT, I removed the cold air intake, and aftermarket axle-back exhaust and returned them to OEM. The exhaust were to loud, and I didn't need the extra horses from the CAI and tune. The 2006 GT is powerful enough for a daily driver.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
Cold air intake with a tune is very popular. So are axle-back exhausts, if you aren't satisfied with your current exhaust sound. If you are, leave it alone.
I went with the cat-back ford racing exhaust with a tune, on my previous Mustang. I was very pleased with that set up. I also added a strut tower brace, push button trunk release, push button start and hood struts.

On my current GT, I removed the cold air intake, and aftermarket axle-back exhaust and returned them to OEM. The exhaust were to loud, and I didn't need the extra horses from the CAI and tune. The 2006 GT is powerful enough for a daily driver.
Thanks! CAI seems to be the front runner for mod suggestions. What brands would you recommend?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017
PONY Member

Garage
My experience was with Ford Racing brand. Other popular brands include BBK, Air Raid and Roush.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
I suggest a set of rear control arms,the factory ones are not so great.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy metal View Post
I suggest a set of rear control arms,the factory ones are not so great.
What should my expectations be as it relates to performance improvement for this suggestion?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTYellow View Post
What should my expectations be as it relates to performance improvement for this suggestion?
Good question.With increased horsepower,the suspension needs upgrades also to handle the power and make the car handle better.A good set will help plant the rear and reduce side play.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy metal View Post
Quote:
Good question.With increased horsepower,the suspension needs upgrades also to handle the power and make the car handle better.A good set will help plant the rear and reduce side play.
So only of value with a significant hp upgrade. I am zeroing on a SC kit, but could use some help in picking the right kit. I think I will be happy with boosting to 400 hp+ and will call Brenspeed for some guidance.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
I have spent quite a bit of time reading through threads on here before joining and it seems that suggestions for best bang for you buck mods are kind of all over the place. Whatever I do first will be accompanied with a tune so anyone nice enough to provide me with suggestions should assume I will do that. Looking forward to your feedback!
You'll find all you need to know right here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Must...7_Bolt_Ons.htm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

[/QUOTE] You'll find all you need to know right here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Must...7_Bolt_Ons.htm[/QUOTE] Thank you
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

This seems more like "talk" than "tech" to me but I guess that debate will never be settled, LOL . . .

here is my reply from the other post in the "talk" forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I think this is the right place . . .

Suggestions are all over the place because there are thousands of possible mods to these cars; so if you make an open-ended request you'll get all kinds of responses (or none, LOL). You'll probably end up overwhelmed by the options for the same reason.

It helps to have a theme, goal, or purpose in mind. For example, are you looking for appearance or performance? If appearance, do you prefer modern or retro? If performance, drag strip or road track? If you can give some guidance on theme or purpose it will help the members make good suggestions and it will also help you make sense of it all.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you have the coins to go supercharged, then have at it. I would suggest if that is your plan to install rear lower control arms (Whiteline, Steeda, J&M, Ford Racing, BMR good choices) and new axleback mufflers (catback systems are not necessary). For Axlebacks keep in mind the car will be louder under load with a supercharger. Good choices will be stainless steel and are: Pypes, Bassani, Borla, Ford Racing, Akropovic.

If not going supercharged, same suggestions but would add CAI and tune (JLT or Steeda), underdrive pulleys (Steeda), and charge motion delete plates/plugs (Steeda for plugs, any for plates). I would also suggest 3.73 gears. As far as tuners, dyno near you is nice but canned tunes best choices: Brenspeed, Lund, VMP, Steeda. Tudyno (Lito tunes) is good for datalogging, but more a choice once all mods on.

Hope this helps.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks guys. New to the forums and still trying to figure out where to post so excuse me if this thread was better placed in a different section. I think I have decided to go the route of an SC kit. This car is a daily driver, but I want more than 300 hp. I think I would be completely happy with 400 plus. I don't intend on taking it to a track although that may change as time goes on. What would be some good kits to consider? I was looking at Roush, but one member suggested that other kits may be more reliable and better performers.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Squid on here is the boost expert and I will post a link to one of his write-ups. That being said, once again long term goals are important. Most horsepower means nothing, IATs, drivability, whole powerband are just as important. I disagree a little with some of what his write-up says as far as it relates to a street car occasionally taken to the track. For me it is important to keep my strut tower brace (having driven without it, I feel a huge difference) so a unit that requires removal of that is an issue for me. Jbert on here decided against on as he tracks his car and the added weight up front has a slight negative effect when you are hitting corners really fast... So for me, I really like the Edelbrock eForce unit. So read and learn and make an informed decision and make it your own!

3v Positive Displacement Supercharger Buyers Guide

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page