agressive sound with no drone muffler? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
agressive sound with no drone muffler?

05 GT. I want it to be a little more aggressive. when i get on it I cant hear the exhaust over the motor..lol....but I dont want it to be annoying loud or drone ...

so what should i look at? car is stock at the moment. cats may come up missing...would that in itself make it loud?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There are as many different opinions on this as there are Mustang owners and aftermarket mufflers.

I have the FR500S mufflers (also known as KR mufflers) and in my opinion they fit your description very well; with the stock cats.

Yes removing the cats will make it quite a bit louder, and be aware that is illegal per federal law . . . . whether they enforce it or not in your area is another story.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018
PONY Member

Do you plan on installing headers (long or short) tubes at any point in the future? Keeping h-pipe or going with x-pipe? If you have emissions testing then removing the cats will make it impossible to pass inspection. Removing the cats & installing either long or short headers and/or changing the mid-pipe will all affect the how axle back performs for sound output AND at what RPM range you will get drone. Going with a larger diameter exhaust system will also change things. Another mod to keep in mind is if you think you may want to install a different cams as well. This will also affect the tone of the exhaust system. So in my opinion think of the complete exhaust system you plan on using and what other future mods you plan on making to achieve the tone/note of the exhaust and the RPM drone range you are aiming for. For drone RPM drone range what type of driving do you do most? City or highway? City driving you're passing thru the drone range frequently enough that its not too big a deal. However, if you're like me, I drive mostly highway speed on a daily basis with my RPM's at 2100-2300 in 5th gear at 75mph. I have no drone at this speed. My drone range with the MBRP street axle backs with stock exhaust and FRPP racing cams is 1800-2000 RPM's.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I plan on installing a CAI and making the exhaust sound better and getting a tuner just to improve the overall performance.

I am not going to get headers and cams and blowers or anything as such.

I dont want it too loud and I dont want any drone.

its a convertible and I am not trying to make it into a race car.

I figure most of you have tried multiple mufflers and so I would benefit from your knowledge trial and error wise.

pretend I didnt say anything about the cats. I only mention it cause I was told one was rattling and it does when car is warm
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelanthony2 View Post
I plan on installing a CAI and making the exhaust sound better and getting a tuner just to improve the overall performance.

I am not going to get headers and cams and blowers or anything as such.

I dont want it too loud and I dont want any drone.

its a convertible and I am not trying to make it into a race car.

I figure most of you have tried multiple mufflers and so I would benefit from your knowledge trial and error wise.

pretend I didnt say anything about the cats. I only mention it cause I was told one was rattling and it does when car is warm

My car has MagnaFlow, they were on it when I bought the car from the dealer and I'm quite happy with them, nice rumble at idle, aggressive when I get on it and no drone on the highway

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
My car has MagnaFlow, . . .
be aware there are at least two different MagnaFlow mufflers (maybe three?) ; the rectangular ones are fairly mellow and the smaller cans are quite loud and I think I have heard about drone issues with them

this is a difficult question because it is so subjective . . . generally the smaller the muffler the louder it is; and some are known for drone (generally the chambered mufflers tend to drone but that is not always the case)

the FR500S aka KR mufflers are drone-free, nice deep tone and not too loud at low RPM / light throttle; but do get quite loud at heavy throttle and high RPM
my89foxbody likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
be aware there are at least two different MagnaFlow mufflers (maybe three?) ; the rectangular ones are fairly mellow and the smaller cans are quite loud and I think I have heard about drone issues with them

this is a difficult question because it is so subjective . . . generally the smaller the muffler the louder it is; and some are known for drone (generally the chambered mufflers tend to drone but that is not always the case)

the FR500S aka KR mufflers are drone-free, nice deep tone and not too loud at low RPM / light throttle; but do get quite loud at heavy throttle and high RPM

Not sure exactly which ones are installed on my car but there's definitely no drone

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018
Rookie

Garage
Another vote for Magnaflow. I'm also not sure which ones I have, but they are fairly large in size and have polished tips. Great tone and incredible during WOT, but I've never had any issues with drone at any RPM. They were on the car when I bought it and I wouldn't change a thing.

2009 GT 45th Anniversary
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
Not sure exactly which ones are installed on my car but there's definitely no drone
First off, the 2005-10 4.6L 3valve cars are far more prone to droning than the newer 2011-14 5.0 Coyote 4valve motors. I had Magnaflow street mufflers on my 2006 GT with stock catted mid-pipe and they droned horribly between 1500-2000 RPM in 5th gear on the highway at 55-65 MPH. That being said, when comparing the Coyote 5.0 4valve exhaust to 2005-10 4.6L 3valve exhaust, is more like comparing apples to oranges rather than apples to apples. Also, the exhaust systems are designed differently for the newer Coyote 5.0 4valves as well.

2006 GT - Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Pypes exhaust cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Borla ATAK mufflers - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Eibach camber bolts - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Goodyear Eagle F1 tires - CFM billet oil cap breather - Hurst short throw shifter - Koni sport adj struts/shocks - GT500 strut mounts - BMR poly adj Panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm intake w/stock airbox- Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune..
Apprentice

I've tried x pipe, h pipe, mac prochamber, cats, no cats, high flow cats, stock headers, long tube headers, with borla stingers.

These cars do drone at least with my borla and x&h pipe. Drone was pleasantly reduced when i put the mac prochamber midpipe with high flow cats. The prochamber does quiet down your exhaust but the high flow cats made it a little better. Still quieter compared to when i had the h pipe and high flow cats. But it gives a nice exotic sound when you step on it. Performance wise prochamber>xpipe>hpipe in my opinion and there's a lot of info online about better performance with the prochamber. And i chose borla for the low rpm growl (with h pipe) and it only screams after certain rpms maybe that's what you're after

EDIT: OP prob found his set up, not sure why this old thread was revived
Rookie

Well here's why this old thread was revived. I responded to a post in which someone doesn't seem to quite understand that the 2005-10 4.6 3valve cars have a different firing order over the 2011-14 Coyote 5.0 4valve motors. The person in question also doesn't seem to grasp that the exhaust systems between the older 4.6L 3v models and 2011-14 Coyote 5.0 4valve cars are designed differently. Borla, for example, redesigned their entire exhaust line-up for the 2011-14 Coyote 4v and GT500 models which is exactly the reason why they do not drone. Unfortunately for those of us who still have the older 2005-10 3valve models, Borla did not address the dreaded droning issues and therefore we are stuck with the previous straight thru, perforated core design. At any rate, after replacing my Magnaflow street mufflers in which I previously mentioned produced horrible droning issues, I made the switch to the Borla S-type mufflers by first paring them with the stock catted mid-pipe and then with the Mac O/R ProChamber. The only difference the O/R ProChamber made was by amplifying the drone frequencies produced by the Borla S-type mufflers 2x louder inside the cabin. Finally, I tried pairing the Mac ProChamber with the stock catted mid-pipe by cutting off the H crossover section and then clamping in the ProChamber to the stock cats as the cut n clamp ProChamber option. Needless to say, with the stock cats in place, the ProChamber did absolutely nothing for reducing the interior resonance drone for my application. Personally, I really don't see what difference adding high-flow cats to the ProChamber is going to make for reducing interior resonance drone if running no cats at all only increases the sound levels produced by interior resonance drone. That being said, I can't really speak for Magnaflow, but after the person in question stated that he doesn't experience any drone at all with his Magnaflow mufflers, it would appear that Magnaflow also addressed the droning issues by updating their entire exhaust line-up for the 2011-14 Coyote 5.0 4valve along with the 5.4-5.8 GT500, and current 2015-19 S550 models. Anyhow, I think the only real solution for getting rid of that dreaded resonance drone for my particular application is by replacing the Borla S-types with either the Ford Racing FR500S mufflers, part # M-5230-S or consider the Roush extreme cat back, axle back delete option, part # 403936 as a possible alternative. End of rant

2006 GT - Saleen series VI S/C - 39lb injectors - 3.6" pulley - Eibach pro kit springs - Pypes exhaust cut n clamp X mid-pipe to OEM cats - Borla ATAK mufflers - OEM GT500 18x9.5 wheels - Eibach camber bolts - UPR 4 chamber catch can - Goodyear Eagle F1 tires - CFM billet oil cap breather - Hurst short throw shifter - Koni sport adj struts/shocks - GT500 strut mounts - BMR poly adj Panhard bar - Saleen extreme 98mm intake w/stock airbox- Autolite HT0 spark plugs - JDM 91 oct performance tune..

Last edited by 06torchredgt; 05-29-2019 at 08:42 PM.
PONY Member

Garage
Try the Ford racing exhaust, manufactured by BORLA. The cat-back system performed exactly as you described on my 2007. As previously described by 06torchredgt, the muffler part number is: M-5230. Good luck with your search.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
Try the Ford racing exhaust, manufactured by BORLA. The cat-back system performed exactly as you described on my 2007. As previously described by 06torchredgt, the muffler part number is: M-5230. Good luck with your search.
First off, the Ford Racing muffler that I previously described, is NOT manufactured by Borla. The part number I was referring to is M-5230-S which is the current Ford Racing muffler FR500S for all 2005-09 Mustang GT and 2007-09 GT500 models. You're referring to the previous Ford Racing Stinger exhaust with part number M-5230-5GT which was discontinued by Borla and Ford Racing after the 2009 model year. Here's an image of the Ford Racing FR500S, part number M-5230-S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61mi0kcMvvL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	610099  

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06torchredgt View Post
First off, the Ford Racing muffler that I previously described, is NOT manufactured by Borla. The part number I was referring to is M-5230-S which is the current Ford Racing muffler FR500S for all 2005-09 Mustang GT and 2007-09 GT500 models. You're referring to the previous Ford Racing Stinger exhaust with part number M-5230-5GT which was discontinued by Borla and Ford Racing after the 2009 model year. Here's an image of the Ford Racing FR500S, part number M-5230-S

Second off, thank you for your response.

I humbly apologize for confusing the model number of the muffler you referenced. I was merely offering the OP, an option to consider. The correct part number for the exhaust I referenced is M-5230-V6., which is the same muffler M-5230-GTB found on the 2008 Bullit, and did not have a "Stinger" designation.

I've learned my lesson, and will not reference any of your posts in the future. Again, I apologize.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
Second off, thank you for your response.

I humbly apologize for confusing the model number of the muffler you referenced. I was merely offering the OP, an option to consider. The correct part number for the exhaust I referenced is M-5230-V6., which is the same muffler M-5230-GTB found on the 2008 Bullit, and did not have a "Stinger" designation.

I've learned my lesson, and will not reference any of your posts in the future. Again, I apologize.
It appears we both misinterpreted what was intended to offer a solution for the OP. Therefore my apologies on my part as well. I also don't have any issues towards you referencing my posts, as the purpose of these forums is to provide feedback and support towards all of us who are fellow Mustang enthusiasts that share a common bond. As for the OP, he hasn't posted since January of 2018 lol.

-Rocky

Last edited by 06torchredgt; 06-06-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page