Ford Mustang Forum banner

will car run without gauge cluster installed

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Michaelanthony2 
#1 ·
Im sending my gauge cluster in to be rebuilt. id like to drive the car tomorrow.

it starts I just want to make sure it actually will run before i get stuck somewhere .

#2 ·
(My car is 2005 GT with manual transmission and 6 gauge cluster)

Yes, no problem. I've driven mine quite a few miles with the instrument cluster removed. And the advantage is no miles added to odometer whilst the part is out of the car.

Just make sure to fill up the gas tank prior to doing so...then attempt to guess how many miles you drive without a gauge...LOL.

Personal story: I owned a 1986 Honda Accord. Dashboard was ruined by persons who tried to steal the radio. I took the entire dashboard out of the car whilst I looked for a used one in junk yards. Also took time to transfer parts from one to another. For a week or so I drove the car with no dashboard, just the steering wheel and column, and with heater controls hanging on the floor. People would view the car in parking spaces and wonder just how it could be driven. Well, the car itself does not know the difference I'd tell them....

#4 ·
I'm not sure the miles collect in the odometer or the instrument board. That little LED screen is only a read-out port. From where, not sure.

I'm halfway there. My 2005 GT 4 gauge cluster temp gauge is pegged at 5:30 all the time, off or on, and my tach is reading really sloppy. 0 rpm at idle and about 1100 at 80 mph. Thankfully it is not affecting the rev limiter. I hit it once last week not moving to 2nd in time. I usually do pretty well using the head mounted stereoscopic auditory tachometer though.

When I do get it fixed, I wish there was a REAL way to make it so I can actually see the instruments in the day time. Why did Ford not go black on white way down in those black holes on the S197 dash? I know there are several overlay faces made for it, but I have seen other cars with them installed where the night dash lights don't shine through the overlay. Seriously?

#5 ·
when you decide to stop fooling with it not working check ebay. there is a guy selling repair/rebuilds of the units for $68. You pay shipping there.

I sent mine on Monday. he received it on Tuesday and fixed it and it shipped back out to me today. I should have it tomorrow. I live in Louisiana and he is in Texas so short ship time but man he was fast. fixed same day.

check it out and tell him I sent you...the guy in North Louisiana...!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.