Borla S-Type Fitment Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Borla S-Type Fitment Issues

2006 Mustang GT, I am having fitment issues with my new Borla S-Type. It is rattling over the crossbar at my rear differential. I have attached pictures as you can see, the exhaust pipe, is too close to the crossbar. The mechanic who did the installation attempted to adjusted the exhaust the best he could without having the exhaust tips touch the bumper. I noticed on the original exhaust there is a flat spot on the exhaust as it goes over the crossbar. Has anyone seen this issue?

Borla S-Type Fitment Issues-borla4.jpg

Borla S-Type Fitment Issues-borla3.jpg

Borla S-Type Fitment Issues-borla2.jpg

Borla S-Type Fitment Issues-borla1.jpg

2006 Mustang GT, Steeda CAI and UDP, 3.73 gears, Kooks headers and catted x pipe, Flowmaster Mufflers, MSD, SCT X3, 93 Performance Bama Tune, AM Anthrocite Bullets - 20x9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018
PONY Member

Garage
If the factory set up had a flat spot, it would follow that any aftermarket exhaust would also allow for this. Your mechanic should have flatten the exhaust pipe to match the factory setup? Was this done by a muffler shop or a regular service center. I always use muffler shops for this type of work. Good luck with fixing your problem.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yep, sounds like the new pipe needs a dent like the original one had

you can raise the mufflers in the hangers (by bending the hanger on the muffler) but that will also make the tip too high in the bumper opening, like you said

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018
Apprentice

I had this exact same problem.
my first attempt for a fix was purchasing the BMR panhard rod support. I once read it was suppose to have extra clearance for exhaust....plan didn't work

second attempt was take it to a muffler shop to fix the tips in the bumper and the pipe on the panhard rod support. They got the tips perfect in the bumper but the pipes still rested on the support brace. And they started to rattle and clang over hard bumps.

my solution was to wrap the panhard rod support with header wrap. Essentially making an isolator for it. I've never had a rattle or clang after that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_the_kid View Post
2006 Mustang GT, I am having fitment issues with my new Borla S-Type. It is rattling over the crossbar at my rear differential. I have attached pictures as you can see, the exhaust pipe, is too close to the crossbar. The mechanic who did the installation attempted to adjusted the exhaust the best he could without having the exhaust tips touch the bumper. I noticed on the original exhaust there is a flat spot on the exhaust as it goes over the crossbar. Has anyone seen this issue?

Attachment 591298

Attachment 591306

Attachment 591314

Attachment 591322
Hi. I'm sorry to hear about that. Please contact our customer service department at 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm PST). They will be able to take care of you.

Ian Apostol
Social Media/Forums
Borla Performance Industries
[email protected] | www.borla.com
Customer Service: 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4pm PST)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod_2005 View Post

my solution was to wrap the panhard rod support with header wrap. Essentially making an isolator for it. I've never had a rattle or clang after that.
Good idea. I have the same issue. Was going to go to a muffler shop.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi. I'm sorry to hear about that. Please contact our customer service department at 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm PST). They will be able to take care of you.
Thank you very much. I will call Borla today.

2006 Mustang GT, Steeda CAI and UDP, 3.73 gears, Kooks headers and catted x pipe, Flowmaster Mufflers, MSD, SCT X3, 93 Performance Bama Tune, AM Anthrocite Bullets - 20x9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page