Keep O/R H or stay stock miidpipe? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Keep O/R H or stay stock miidpipe?

For the past 3 years I always have to return to stock mid pipe for inspection (Texas). I have a JLT CAI and SCT/Bama tune. Today I was driving around town to get the O2 sensors ready and I feel the car is faster down low with the stock mid. Other than the sound, should I bother putting back the O/R H pipe back on? I'm debating on just putting a muffler delete and calling it a day. It's annoying having to do this routine every year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If it was my car, I would keep the stock midpipe for sure. The "gain" would not be worth the hassle to me; and it sounds like the gain is questionable anyway. If you want it to be louder, a lourder mufler is the simple solution like you said.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018
PONY Member

of road x pipes Straight thrus and other high HP gain exhaust are all designed to bring more HP which is a function of RPM so they do help at Wide open throttle. However for most street cars with occasional trips to a wash and race. the loss at low end and even into the mid range is not really acceptable, especially on relatively small displacement motors.

Large Mills like 540 GM mountain or modified BOSS 429 Alcohol burners use the short big pipes to get rid of heat as much as allowing flow thru. You will be pleased with the increased drivability and not have the hassle of changing pipes.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

It is a hassle. I definitely felt loss in torque.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018
PONY Member

I've listened to way more YouTube video's than I'd care to admit, and for me the 3v exhausts always sound better without cats. Its not a loudness thing, the overall note is just more old school. I'm considering either an X or H pipe with high flow cats. While there are not a ton of videos with high flow cats, the ones I've listened to seem to make a noticeable change in sound. Have you considered adding high flow cats to your existing O/R setup?

2009 GT Premium Black on Black 5MT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roegs View Post
I've listened to way more YouTube video's than I'd care to admit, and for me the 3v exhausts always sound better without cats. Its not a loudness thing, the overall note is just more old school. I'm considering either an X or H pipe with high flow cats. While there are not a ton of videos with high flow cats, the ones I've listened to seem to make a noticeable change in sound. Have you considered adding high flow cats to your existing O/R setup?
No, I haven't. Catalytic converters are expensive. For the price to buy them and put them on, you might as well get longtube headers. I might just switch up my whole exhaust setup though. It's been 4 days and I'm missing the loud lol. I might go O/R X and SSS terminator axle backs or Flowmaster outlaw if I can find some for a good price.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristang26 View Post
No, I haven't. Catalytic converters are expensive. For the price to buy them and put them on, you might as well get longtube headers.
Hmm... Using American Muscle as a rough comparison - their cheapest pair of high flow cats is $215, while their cheapest pair of long tubes is $500. I brought up high flow cats as your original post mentioned the hassle of swapping back the original H pipe to pass inspection. If that is still your concern, there is no other way that I know of other than an exhaust with cats in it.

2009 GT Premium Black on Black 5MT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
No, I haven't. Catalytic converters are expensive. For the price to buy them and put them on, you might as well get longtube headers. I might just switch up my whole exhaust setup though. It's been 4 days and I'm missing the loud lol. I might go O/R X and SSS terminator axle backs or Flowmaster outlaw if I can find some for a good price.
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder with O/R X and it's loud. I think the Outlaws supposed to be even louder. Have you seen a clip of that combo?

2005 Satin Silver GT
JLT CAI w/Lito Tune
American Thunder Flowmasters w/X-pipe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder with O/R X and it's loud. I think the Outlaws supposed to be even louder. Have you seen a clip of that combo?
Yeah I have the same muffler (super 44's) that I paired with the o/r H. Idk how you can bear the X, its way too tinny for me. Even with the H pipe it still has that can sound. I've being going through youtube and I'm in love with the way the O/R X and Outlaws sound, it's ******* mental. I just can't justify paying $450+ for them, unless i can find a shop locally that sells the muffler for a fair price.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roegs View Post
Hmm... Using American Muscle as a rough comparison - their cheapest pair of high flow cats is $215, while their cheapest pair of long tubes is $500. I brought up high flow cats as your original post mentioned the hassle of swapping back the original H pipe to pass inspection. If that is still your concern, there is no other way that I know of other than an exhaust with cats in it.
I would still have to pay labor for a shop to add them on, and add bung holes (lol) for the O2's. BTW, i was thinking pace setter headers, they're like $280.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Yeah I have the same muffler (super 44's) that I paired with the o/r H. Idk how you can bear the X, its way too tinny for me. Even with the H pipe it still has that can sound. I've being going through youtube and I'm in love with the way the O/R X and Outlaws sound, it's ******* mental. I just can't justify paying $450+ for them, unless i can find a shop locally that sells the muffler for a fair price.
Pretty sure the can sound if from not having cats. I think the X sounds like a Nascar. Don't know what the H sounds like. Less raspy I heard.

2005 Satin Silver GT
JLT CAI w/Lito Tune
American Thunder Flowmasters w/X-pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cat delete , emissions , mid pipe , offload h

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page