I've thought about this and so I thought I'd ask the FI and other Experts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jre8806 Send a message via Skype™ to jre8806
I've thought about this and so I thought I'd ask the FI and other Experts

So my dad finally upgraded his turbo in his truck (2002 Ford 7.3L diesel F 250 4x4 the works) from the stock 80mm to a 88mm with a boost controller in it. I'd like to see how it runs but that's not the point of this thread.
I have been set on purchasing the HP performance Stage 2 kit which I think it is a garrett 76mm I forget the site is down at the moment, maybe 70mm. Anyway, I just recently thought about taking my dad's turbo and throwing it in there. It's a Garrett 80mm one that comes stock on a diesel. Do you think It's possible I can just use that and it would do just as good if not better than the other turbo HP is offering? And then All that I would need would be the piping? I'm sure that would take a load off the pricing? If this can happen can you guys help shed some light on the subject as in what I would need to do to make sure its a good install? Or should I say to hell with it and jsut stay the course with the HP Turbo? Thanks in advance.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

it can happen just like you said. but, you will have to have a custom intake fabricated, a customer exhaust fabricated, and a custom tune done on a dyno to dial it in. you might be looking at more of a headache than going with a kit that should "bolt right in".
not to mention the plumbing for the intercooler.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

why would he need a custom manifold? the stock one will work. The thing is with that size of a turbo that car is going to put out some really serious power. I would advise you to build that motor up. It would be like putting an F1 Procharger on a stock block.

My Chevy buddies are running those turbo systems. For some thing that big your looking at a serious kit. Look to spend probably the same price as a turbo kit with a turbo but with out one. You know what I mean.

If i could do it all over again I would do a T80 with a built block for sure.

PROCHARGER P1SC<WHIPPLE 3.4L
5.0 Stroker Built and Blown
"DEVISTATOR"
Check out my build thread in 2005+ Talk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008
Apprentice
S197 Member

could have some lag problmes.

07 Stang MT- SCT, JLT CAI, 4.10s, Zex Nitrous, Zex Remote Bottle opener, and other fun Nitrous stuff. TPMS Pipe Bomb mod

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."- Albert Einstein
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

with the right system you should not have any lag problems. My friends SS even though not a mustang is at full boost by 3,200 rpms. That is 20 PSI sure instant boost is fun for the street but how many RPM's do you launch at

That is also why I love Prochargers every one complains how the boost does not kick in right away but have you ever launched at 100 RPM's nope well I hope not I know even though my charger does not create instant boost I am am making over 480 rwhp off my launch and hitting full boost with in seconds.

Nothing will ever beat the top end on a Turbo or a Centr. at the strip the power is just to insane for how much boost they have to run.

"DEVISTATOR"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoggie_Bear View Post
could have some lag problmes.
there is a quote attributed to Carroll Shelby..."if you have turbo lag, you ain't driving it right"

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent05redfire View Post
there is a quote attributed to Carroll Shelby..."if you have turbo lag, you ain't driving it right"
yep gota love break boosting. I can get my S/C to spool up at some pretty high PSI from doing that.

With todays turbo systems for our cars if your not spooled at full boost by 2300rpms then your system has issues

"DEVISTATOR"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jre8806 Send a message via Skype™ to jre8806
so it is possible I just need to get a custom kit?

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page