Wiring Through the Firewall. I've Been Doing It All Wrong. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Wiring Through the Firewall. I've Been Doing It All Wrong.

OK, I'm probably the last guy on earth to figure out what turns out to be a very obvious solution, but just is case someone else hasn't.....

I've been running all my gauge and other wiring through the firewall through a small grommet located near the brake fluid tank and on the interior it comes out above and to the left of the clutch pedal. It works fine but it is small and it clogs the whole area near the brake fluid tank up with a bunch of wires and looks crappy. But near the fuse box on the passenger side is a giant grommet that exits behind the front passenger side wheel well. From there you can route into the engine compartment. The main harness goes through it but there is enough room in the grommet for all my gauge wiring.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty View Post
OK, I'm probably the last guy on earth to figure out what turns out to be a very obvious solution, but just is case someone else hasn't.....

I've been running all my gauge and other wiring through the firewall through a small grommet located near the brake fluid tank and on the interior it comes out above and to the left of the clutch pedal. It works fine but it is small and it clogs the whole area near the brake fluid tank up with a bunch of wires and looks crappy. But near the fuse box on the passenger side is a giant grommet that exits behind the front passenger side wheel well. From there you can route into the engine compartment. The main harness goes through it but there is enough room in the grommet for all my gauge wiring.
See... You're not just a pretty face

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008
S197 Member

That thing isnt running yet!?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

that took me 2 seconds to find out when I did my stereo on day one of having my car. It was a little hard to get around the battery box cuz I don't like to remove things to make the job easy tho. It works good, cuz you put the power in threw the passanger side and put you remote and rca's on the drivers side and keep them apart. I like it

:happydancer:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008
MACH I Member

Don't feel bad. There is an aluminum-esque sheet on the drivers side that can easily be poked through. I used to run my power wire through that hole. It ended up letting heat from the engine into the cabin of the car. Not cool. Later I found the grommet that you are speaking of on the passenger side. Easy access and if you ever need to drill a hole for interference purposes, it's easy to do.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I found this last year when I did my S/C install

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

There's also one just below and outboard of the master cylinder that's useful for running gauge wires and such.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008
Apprentice

Is this the one where you have to remove the inner fender to run the wires.

2007 Mustang Gt, 5-SPD, SCT 2, Bamachips Tunes, C&L Racer, Pypes O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster, Pro 5.0, Roush Window Covers and rear Spoiler, 3d Carbon Headlight Splitters, SHR Chrome Fuel Cover, GTS Foglight Covers and Rear Blackout, , Midwest Mirror Covers, Cervinis Side Scoops, CDC Classic Spoiler, Sirius, IUP, PTP, GTAP, CP.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302svt View Post
Is this the one where you have to remove the inner fender to run the wires.
That's the one.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page