Code P0344 on 2006 Mustang gt - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Travis98146

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Code P0344 on 2006 Mustang gt

2006 Mustang Gt with a modified 4.6 engine with mother thumper cams with no Cats. Motor only has 1,000 miles on it had fresh tune done friday next day check engine light throwed P0344 code mechanic changed both cam position sensor yesterday check engine light came on today on my way home from work same code P0344 again. Car sat up for 10 months put motor in 2 weeks ago. Runs awesome just check engine light code P0344 since tune shop done Friday. Any suggestion on what to check having alternator checked in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
BOSS Member

IMHO, several things going on....
1. just because the mech changed the sensors doesn't mean there still isn't an issue....including ecm signal (wiring issue) or the ecm itself.
2. Comp Cams is well known for having significant issues with their cams including "cams billets being out of alignment as much as .020 (which is a lot)", and cam profiles that are more than inaccurate. Additionally these cams create cylinder washing of fuel...meaning unburned fuel and travels past the rings and into the oil...it induces damage to the rings and ultimately with a big enough gulp, causes the crank bearings to wash out

But after that is verified, there is a much bigger issue...
Assuming you have terminated the downstream sensors for one of the most advance engine management software programs created..... let me be a little blunt.... is just not smart or "a good thing"! Letme explain to you...

Production calibrations have an “inferredcatalyst temperature protection model” which constantly calculatesthe temperature in the hottest part of the hottest catalyst. This calculatedtemperature is based on many PCM parameters, such asengine speed, load, ingested air mass, time, inlet air temperature, EGR flowrate and many others. When the catalyst model calculates that the catalysttemperature is about to exceed a level that is safe for the catalyst (generallyaround 1650 deg F), the PCM will richen the A/F mixture as necessary to lowerthe exhaust gas temperature and cool the catalyst. This richened A/F ratio willdecrease power output, but is absolutely necessary to keep the catalyst frombeing permanently damaged and without the downstream sensors, the PCM caneasily, consistently and once too many times over or under richen the A/Fmix...making what a software engineer would call, "An erroneousconclusion"..... and don't think for one minute that any of the "expert mail order tuners" have taken any of this into consideration....as they (most all) do not know how to write software programs....they just change numbers in "boxes" to make things run better.

Now for those who think that they can drop the cats & downstream O2 sensors and they are"fine", ya see, there is also a"model" (please excuse the terminology here)for oxygen sensor protection and exhaust valve protection that when not takeninto account can cause internal damage to both the exhaust valves (known as "Tuliping over time- resulting in catestrophic engine damage any machinistcan explain this to you) and remaining O2 sensors....and yes, this does pull HPaway from the engine only for component safeguarding.

I'm assuming you removed your cats thinking that it was going to create more power.....
Here's a link to a "Real Test" that verifies....on a 700+ hpengine......no gain or loss of with or without the cats!

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/header_cat_xpipe_exhaust_tests.pdf

IMHO, I would go revisit a few things before it starts getting costly and you loose the use of a good vehicle as there are very good quality products available to give you want to want without risking your ride $.

None of this happens immediately.......

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Putting Beechkid more simply, on-board computers don't like changes in a system. You may have to restore some of the modifications to get the computer to play nice.
Beechkid likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Can you explain why car isn't running any different as a matter of fact its running better. This is a brand new spanking motor built by a shop guy has 30 yrs experience and it went to a tune shop by a certified tuner. Now motor had catastrophic failure at 150 miles rod bearing factory defect thankful it under warranty 2nd time crank broke at 300 miles 3rd go round no issue took,to tune shop and timing was at 29 so he took it down to 25 & reset fuel my parents have spent 5,000 on this motor no one that not certified or doesn't know about these engines is touching it my dad is a heavy duty diesel machaic & he would mess with cause he knows nothing about the motors. Plus I parked it not going to risk tearing something up its made to 1,000 miles this time had not one issue time Saturday.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Can you explain why car isn't running any different as a matter of fact its running better. This is a brand new spanking motor built by a shop guy has 30 yrs experience and it went to a tune shop by a certified tuner. Now motor had catastrophic failure at 150 miles rod bearing factory defect thankful it under warranty 2nd time crank broke at 300 miles 3rd go round no issue took,to tune shop and timing was at 29 so he took it down to 25 & reset fuel my parents have spent 5,000 on this motor no one that not certified or doesn't know about these engines is touching it my dad is a heavy duty diesel machaic & he would mess with cause he knows nothing about the motors. Plus I parked it not going to risk tearing something up its made to 1,000 miles this time had not one issue time Saturday.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was told car would cranking issues but it fires right up raised hood motor sounds good no tap nothing I'm just worried my dad said he's gonna start checking all the wiring cause it was stored at my brothers shop surrounded by woods out in the country my mom 95 mustang gt that they parked 2 yrs ago had rats in it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

By the thank you for replying I appreciate any kind of info I can get been on internet reading everything I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page