• 3 Post By Bullitt95
  • 2 Post By MustangLife
  • 3 Post By pikapp
  • 1 Post By Bullitt95

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dangers of buying a used throttle body?

Hey guys, hoping to get some learnin’...like many of you I’m modifying my 2007 GT on a budget. Wondering what the dangers of buying a used throttle body are? I’d been looking at the ford racing version (>$500) and found a used one the seller says has no issues for about half that. Bad idea and if so why?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
MACH I Member

Garage
Unless you're dumping lots of air flow thru the current TB, going bigger isn't going to do anything. Most TB changes occur when one increases the hp to a point that the air flow needs to be increased, usually upwards of 500 rwhp. And that usually requires injector changes and then fuel pumps and on and on.....

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
^^^ Exactly
What build plan do you have for it?

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question

don't really have a full plan - (obviously) pretty new to this. I have a roush CAI and my mechanic and I had discussed / long tube headers as a reasonably $ way to pick up HP. not looking to break the sound barrier, pickup up a few more MPH at my local track is more what i'm after. he'd suggested this Ford racing throttle body might deliver ~20HP....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Your mechanic is like a stock broker, every time you have him do something it is going to cost you money. Add something, it costs money, remove something, it costs you money.
my89foxbody and Beechkid like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
he'd suggested this Ford racing throttle body might deliver ~2HP....
There, fixed it.

Quote:
Wondering what the dangers of buying a used throttle body are? I’d been looking at the ford racing version (>$500) and found a used one the seller says has no issues for about half that. Bad idea and if so why?
The biggest danger is that you're going to spend a lot of money and be very disappointed with the result.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Your mechanic is blowing smoke to make a $ off you. Is he the one selling the used TB? You might get around 5hp from he TB its self, but of course you will need a tune and combined you might get the 20hp, but know you could get majority of that hp from the tune alone and forgoing the TB.

Headers will mainly be for sound unless you are boosted. I mean sure you will see a minor hp increase, but most of the noticeable change will be sound.

Same said for the intake. Most of the gains is from the tune alone as the stock intakes weren't that bad on the 2005 and newer cars.

Best advice I can give you is figure out a long term plan and build from there. That way you buy parts that will all line up with future parts and stay on the car. This will do two things. 1. Won't waste parts which wastes money as resale on used parts is about 75% off new price. 2. It sounds like you are paying labor and this will save a ton on labor.
Beechkid and Jeremy Weigel like this.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019
MACH I Member

Garage
And.....you might want to look for a new mechanic, one that's not just knowledgeable but one that's also honest. I went thru a little of this many years ago when I got into modding my mustang. Its a learning process and as you become more knowledgeable, then you're able to question or ignore bad advice. Sorta "trial & error" till you find the right mechanic/shop. In the meantime, you've got the folks here at AFM to help you. We love to spend other peoples money and will never steer you wrong..
JBert, Beechkid and MustangLife like this.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
We love to spend other peoples money and will never steer you wrong..
We also love to learn from other people's mistakes so that we don't spend our own money on useless mods.
JBert likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Appreciate the feedback! Spent most of my life working on computers so I never really learned anything about wrenching and the minor stuff I’ve done has been fun. Short of buying and having a roush charger installed, what’a a smart path for a new learning mechanic to take? It’s a daily driver with 70k On it but I do like running the track on weekends. Figure I’ve got about 3k before wife makes me live in my car and don’t have a timeline driving me.
PONY Member

Garage
Some years ago I was wading through a hot rod magazine and I noticed the ads for this or that and each thing would be a bolt-on and add horsepower. I went through the whole magazine, added up all the "horsepower" increases. In the end I could add 200 hp to my car and never have to go inside the engine. Just saying, beware of the sales pitches for "bolt-on" horsepower.

Your engine's cylinders will only move a set volume of air/fuel mixture. Having access to more on the intake side will help a little but then you have to get that amount out through the exhaust. Upgrading intake and exhaust makes the transfer easier for the engine but you're still limited by the bore/stroke size.

Last edited by Travis98146; 03-03-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: additional info
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Gotcha. So basically if I’ve got $300 to burn and just want a pretty shiny bit in the engine bay, sweet. Otherwise save your bucks to invest elsewhere. Appreciate the schoolin’!!
Apprentice

Garage
you should get an intake ( airaide or JTL) and a handheld tuner and then get someone like LITO to make you a tune for your car. and also exhaust work. myself I have magnaflow high flow cats and then pypes pipe bombs in the back. I dont have headers cause i had already bought the cats because my cats were bad when I bought the car.

the car runs amazing compared to stock (05 GT auto convertible) and now its not my first fast car. bolts ons will make a difference. I dont know what I am getting to the rear but its been enough to surprise many a dodge hemi or 5.0 .

do a search for LITO on here. he has many customers worldwide and he is a very nice guy. price is lowest out there (or was) and he is fast.
GT Member

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback! Spent most of my life working on computers so I never really learned anything about wrenching and the minor stuff Iíve done has been fun. Short of buying and having a roush charger installed, whatía a smart path for a new learning mechanic to take? Itís a daily driver with 70k On it but I do like running the track on weekends. Figure Iíve got about 3k before wife makes me live in my car and donít have a timeline driving me.
Check the Department of Boost page on Facebook. A few guys are upgrading to the Gen IIR and you may be able to pick up a used, complete kit for around 3k.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Unless the throttle body is malfunctioning, dont waste your time.

Get an intake and tuner, I took a liking to the roush intake on AM, and have had good luck with it, make sure you get the handheld, and run it without the internal reducer pipe, which requires the tuner to adjust for.

2007 Mustang GT Deluxe Edition 5 Speed - White, Red Shelby Stripes
Roush Intake, 322 LPH Fuel Pump, 3.55 Gears, Dana Spicer Aluminum Driveshaft, Magnaflow Race Series Axle-Backs, 91 Oct. Dyno Tuning
255/50/R17 NITTO 555s, Slotted Rotors
324 RWHP, 328 RWTQ - 9-1-2018

1996 Mustang GT Coupe Auto White
2004 Shadow Gray Convertible 4.2L V6
Pacesetter Shortys, 2.5 Duals, Deleted Cats, Custom 2.5 H Pipe, Flowmaster 40s
Auburn Posi with 3.27 gears, 0.5 Phenolic Manifold Spacer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page