where did my royal purple go? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
where did my royal purple go?

I have never until last change use RP. I tried it and it gained me 2mpg more in city. never have driven hwy long enough to know what that is. I have had a slight leak ever since I bought the car. not much I thought. just a drip sometimes after car set up overnight. I can see the evidence on the undercarriage but not on the ground.

today I went to check since its been a month or so and no oil registered on the dipstick. I had put 6 quarts in it at change. so I went and got another quart and after that still not registering .

is there a point where an alert would come on? check engine light? the dummy gauge doesnt show I am low it shows same as always . the temp as well.

scared the mess out of me. I may just sell the car while I still have equity in it. I am not young as I used to and working on cars is not as fun as it was before 20yrs ago..

any ideas about the oil? is it so slippery it slips out faster or does it evaperate? I check all the time where I park for signs of loss and never see any oil on the ground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019
PONY Member

Garage
It sounds like your major oil leak occurs while you're driving and oil system is at full pressure. I'd try driving it around to get everything warmed up and at full oil pressure then immediately park it in the driveway or garage with a piece of tarp under it. If you have a leak at the valve covers or intake manifold, you will get several drops in the vicinity of the leak.

Years ago I tried running RPM Delo by Chevron in my '56 Chevy and it came out everywhere. When I changed back to Havoline, all the leaks stopped.

Last edited by Travis98146; 03-08-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: additional info
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
no leaks up top. ive never put it up on ramps to see what it could be. I check constantly on ground. its never been this low before but never used this oil. not sure why it would be so different. I use the same weight , 5w20

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019
PONY Member

Garage
In the past I did find an oil pressure sensor that had developed a leak. Luckily, I found it when I was adding a manual oil pressure gauge to the system.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you loose oil pressure, the oil pressure gauge will drop to zip, and the little LCD screen in the dash will actually beep and say, Low Oil Pressure. Thats the only warning, and if you ever see that one, kill the key and roll to a stop, as running without oil pressure, is 10x worse then just being low on oil. If its a stick, make sure to clutch in before you kill the key, then flip the key back on so you can still steer. But yeah, you must have a decent leak somewhere, or else your burning it in the cylinders, perhaps piston rings are a bit old and leaky....

What are your, Mods, Mileage, Tranny type, etc.

2007 Mustang GT Deluxe Edition 5 Speed - White, Red Shelby Stripes
Roush Intake, 322 LPH Fuel Pump, 3.55 Gears, Dana Spicer Aluminum Driveshaft, Magnaflow Race Series Axle-Backs, 91 Oct. Dyno Tuning
255/50/R17 NITTO 555s, Slotted Rotors
324 RWHP, 328 RWTQ - 9-1-2018

1996 Mustang GT Coupe Auto White
2004 Shadow Gray Convertible 4.2L V6
Pacesetter Shortys, 2.5 Duals, Deleted Cats, Custom 2.5 H Pipe, Flowmaster 40s
Auburn Posi with 3.27 gears, 0.5 Phenolic Manifold Spacer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019
PONY Member

Did you add more oil again and recheck it? Did you forget to tighten the drain plug?
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If not, add one, it's a good thing to have.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019
Rookie

Do they still call it a PVC valve? I know I'm dating myself. If your engine has one or something like it, it could be stuck or gooped up and allowing oil vapor to enter the air intake and burn up...

This is my first time using Royal Purple in my 5.0 It's a bit expensive, but so is the engine

corky

Lots of bells and whistles.... Tuned by Fastlane Motorsports in Benson NC...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelanthony2 View Post
I have never until last change use RP. I tried it and it gained me 2mpg more in city. . . . .
I think the engine must be burning it, that's the only way I can explain the 2 MPG increase . . . . well, that or something completely unrelated like driving habits

Quote:
no leaks up top. ive never put it up on ramps to see what it could be. I check constantly on ground. its never been this low before but never used this oil. not sure why it would be so different. I use the same weight , 5w20
I doubt it has anything to do with the Royal Purple oil; unless you got a really bad batch that evaporates or something. Much more likely a coincidence with something else going on, perhaps something caused by the oil change -- such as loose drain plug or filter being the most likely first causes to look at.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I had put 6 quarts in it at change.
Shouldn't you have put 8 quarts in? At least I know my car takes 8 quarts and if you only put in 6 then that would be why you don't see it register on the dip stick

oops my bad didn't realize you have the earlier S197 disregard my comment

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

oil change with filter actually takes a little more than 6 quarts, so that might explain where some of it went (it was never there)

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
are there any hoses or anything that runs oil thru it towards front of engine? I am going to try to get it up on the ramps tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page