S197 Idle Surge. Need help! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

S197 Idle Surge. Need help!

So i made an account just to ask you guys whats going on here. I have an 06 mustang gt, I installed used hot rod cams in January and got a new tune from bama. The install went fine and didnt seem to have any problems so i started the car and it ran fine for about 8 minutes until it hit operating temp then the car started surging from 500-1300rpm consistently. Everytime i start it its the same thing, runs fine until warmed up then the surge comes back and throughs the code p0022. So far ive sent a datalog to bama and got a new tune, and replaced the bank 2 vct solenoid. I honestly dont think i jumped a tooth as the car runs perfectly when cold. Id greatly appreciate any help as ive been calling around and messing with the car for almost 3 months now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Number of possible causes here, Ill list a few i can think of.

1. Cams are different then what the Tune is calling for.
2. When installing the Cams did you make sure the bolt for the cam is in the right orientation so that oil flow for the cam phaser is working properly, as this is used to adjust the timing dynamically.
3. One cam or the other is a little off, just because it sounds like its running properly does not mean it is.
4. There are other mods on the car which are not tuned for, which in conjunction with the changes for the Cams, are throwing something out of whack.

2007 Mustang GT Deluxe Edition 5 Speed - White, Red Shelby Stripes
Roush Intake, 322 LPH Fuel Pump, 3.55 Gears, Dana Spicer Aluminum Driveshaft, Magnaflow Race Series Axle-Backs, 91 Oct. Dyno Tuning
255/50/R17 NITTO 555s, Slotted Rotors
324 RWHP, 328 RWTQ - 9-1-2018

1996 Mustang GT Coupe Auto White
2004 Shadow Gray Convertible 4.2L V6
Pacesetter Shortys, 2.5 Duals, Deleted Cats, Custom 2.5 H Pipe, Flowmaster 40s
Auburn Posi with 3.27 gears, 0.5 Phenolic Manifold Spacer
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply! Well it shouldnt be a tuning issue as ive had them redo and check the tune file multiple times even with a datalog and all my mods are accounted for. I guess theres a possibility that the cams are off but i dont know how as it seemed like the process was pretty straight forward (unless i have one of the cams 180į off which i doubt because theres no way it would start so easily if at all). But going back to the bolt orientation, are you talking about the cam phaser bolt because it didnt look like there was a specific oriention for it other than just torquing it to spec

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordinithegreat View Post
I have an 06 mustang gt, I installed used hot rod cams in January and got a new tune from bama.
Hmmm. That could be your problem. Try Brenspeed or Lito.
bl817 and jlee910 like this.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Have you heard of this problem happening to other people who install cams and use bama? If thats the case im more than willing to give brenspeed a shot.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019
GT Member

Quote:
problem... ...bama
Fixed that for you. Seriously, if the cams are your only mod (stock airbox, TB, etc), the car will most likely run better by returning to stock. Contact a competent tuner and ditch Bama before you ping your way to the junkyard.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have a cai and an offroad h pipe, but that fact that all of you are insisting its the tune does make me want to spend the $200 on brenspeed..
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019
GT Member

Quote:
I have a cai and an offroad h pipe, but that fact that all of you are insisting its the tune does make me want to spend the $200 on brenspeed..
Spend $150 on Lito and be done. His email is [email protected]

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yes. Go back to stock tune and see if it still surges. Report back here.
Btw, if you drive it, keep your foot out of it while you're running the stock tune.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Alright i work today but ill put the stock tune on tomorrow and see how it goes and report back. I may have already jumped the gun and bought brenspeed just in case it was my tune. I honestly didnt know lito was cheaper since he does the datalog tuning
Rookie

I have brenspeed tune for my hot rod cams on my 08 gt. My car runs really well highly recommend getting tune from them. Only thing I noticed is I have to let my car idle a little bit on cold start. If I donít it surges a little but nothing bad at all idles great when motor warmed up no surging at all. Plus big difference on power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well we just got a foot of snow here so i didnt bother messing with the stock tune today. I'll just wait a few days until i get the tune from brenspeed, then give an update on that.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM73 View Post
I have brenspeed tune for my hot rod cams on my 08 gt. My car runs really well highly recommend getting tune from them. Only thing I noticed is I have to let my car idle a little bit on cold start. If I donít it surges a little but nothing bad at all idles great when motor warmed up no surging at all. Plus big difference on power.

I was a die hard Brenspeed fan and had both my 06 and 07 tuned by them for the bulk of a decade, but I left them in 2016 when they swore up and down that the pinging I had going on under load after a tune for new parts was a problem with my car, not their tuning. The guy I talked to on the phone refused to datalog and said that the only thing they would do would be to send a lower octane tune (91 octane tune and run 93 on it).

Went to Lito, and, well, it obviously wasn't the car that was the issue since my 07 is cammed, supercharged, long tubes, etc and still gets over 20mpg on the highway. I drive it 15k miles a year on average since Lito took care of it. I'm just sad that I spent nearly two grand at Brenspeed before going elsewhere and getting quality of customer service and tuning that blew them out of the water.

Current:
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I tried to tell you all about Breenspeed.

I got the same response after their tune leaned out my car after the cam install. They said it was my car not their tune. I asked why didn't it run lean before your tune. They wouldn't datalog and sent me a dumbed down BS tune. No more lean codes but it ran like a pig.
Ended up frying one of my cats.

OP, hopefully you won't have issues with their tune and it solves your problems.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

Last edited by marylandGT; 04-20-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee910 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM73 View Post
I have brenspeed tune for my hot rod cams on my 08 gt. My car runs really well highly recommend getting tune from them. Only thing I noticed is I have to let my car idle a little bit on cold start. If I don’t it surges a little but nothing bad at all idles great when motor warmed up no surging at all. Plus big difference on power.

I was a die hard Brenspeed fan and had both my 06 and 07 tuned by them for the bulk of a decade, but I left them in 2016 when they swore up and down that the pinging I had going on under load after a tune for new parts was a problem with my car, not their tuning. The guy I talked to on the phone refused to datalog and said that the only thing they would do would be to send a lower octane tune (91 octane tune and run 93 on it).

Went to Lito, and, well, it obviously wasn't the car that was the issue since my 07 is cammed, supercharged, long tubes, etc and still gets over 20mpg on the highway. I drive it 15k miles a year on average since Lito took care of it. I'm just sad that I spent nearly two grand at Brenspeed before going elsewhere and getting quality of customer service and tuning that blew them out of the water.
I’m having similar problems that the OP is having. Where I have to let the car idle for 5 minutes to warmup or it dies as soon as I put it in gear. Once warmed up, it drives great. My car is very modded similar to yours. Can you start up and drive away with your tune now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page