Pinion Seal Leak Fix - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 07redstang

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Pinion Seal Leak Fix

Next time I get the wild hair to change the pinion seal someone needs to just kick my a$$. This is not a job that takes a couple of hours laying on your back under a car on jack stands. The six bolts that held the driveshaft must have been red locktited from the factory in addition to the pinion nut. They were a ***** to break loose even with a breaker bar. Thank good I had a good set of metric 6pt sockets.

My 2007 GT has around 12k miles on it. There was no reason it should have started leaking. Apparently this is an issue with a lot of Mustangs as the 06 we had leaked also. I ordered a new seal from rockauto, went with a Timpken 3604. Since I did not want to do this again anytime soon, I also ordered and installed a Timken KWK99181 redi sleeve.

imps likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
Next time I get the wild hair to change the pinion seal someone needs to just kick my a$$. This is not a job that takes a couple of hours laying on your back under a car on jack stands. The six bolts that held the driveshaft must have been red locktited from the factory in addition to the pinion nut. They were a ***** to break loose even with a breaker bar. Thank good I had a good set of metric 6pt sockets.

My 2007 GT has around 12k miles on it. There was no reason it should have started leaking. Apparently this is an issue with a lot of Mustangs as the 06 we had leaked also. I ordered a new seal from rockauto, went with a Timpken 3604. Since I did not want to do this again anytime soon, I also ordered and installed a Timken KWK99181 redi sleeve.
It is imperative when replacing a pinion seal to re-establish correct pinion bearing preload. Sometimes that becomes far more difficult than expected. I hope you knew that, and carefully checked the preload before you put that driveshaft back.

Yes, the job should only take a couple of hours, depending on tools available, and amount of experience behind the "do-er". I use my impact wrench to loosen those damned bolts, much easier. If the pinion but is of the "washer type", it usually seals against fluid leakage, which can seep out along the threads, believe it or not!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I set the preload by marking the pinion nut and the surrounding area making sure when its all back together it was the same as when I started. I've been wrenching for 45+ years on cars and have a good assortment of hand tools. My small compressor and air tools were severely lacking for this job, did 90% with hand tools. The leak was not from the threads of the nut, bone dry. It was a seal failure.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

The Redi-Sleeve should ensure you have a leak free pinion seal......I've used them before with GREAT results!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

I hope so. There was no wear on the yoke at all and did not see any seal damage. I've used the redi sleeves before on harmonic balancers. I assumed with a few thousandths extra mass it would be a bit tighter in the seal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page