Ford Mustang Forum banner

What are the Cons for CAM PHASER LOCKOUTS?

24K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JBert 
#1 ·
I have an issue with my cam phaser I replaced it twice before, but all of them were (Aftermarket) brand.

And I talked with the mechanical he told me to install LOCKOUTS for CAM PHASER

I want to know if LOCKOUTS reduce HP or torque ?

#3 ·
If you're going to remove the phasers again to install lockouts, I would purchase a set of FRPP cam phasers and ditch the aftermarket ones.

#5 ·
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Do not use aftermarket Phasers, Get the revised design Phasers directly from Ford! PERIOD! or else your shiz will never run right...

They found some improvements to do to them, hence the revised design version!

DO NOT quote me on this, but i believe the part number your looking for is 3R2Z-6A257-DA

The auto parts stores will likely list numerous part numbers, but do your research and make sure you are getting the revised version, and from Ford!

#9 ·
Phaser limiters or even lockouts are required if you install performance cams that have a high enough valve lift/opening duration that would otherwise cause piston to valve contact. Full VCT functionality ensures that the torque band is as wide as possible with optimum driveability. Once you restrict or eliminate VCT function, those characteristics are compromised. Usually it's the idle quality, low rpm torque, and low rpm driveability that suffer.

#10 ·
. . . . Once you restrict or eliminate VCT function, those characteristics are compromised. Usually it's the idle quality, low rpm torque, and low rpm driveability that suffer.
yep, that is the basic point as I understand it -- the stock cams use the variable cam timing to optimize performance over a broader RPM range; as soon as you start "locking out" or limiting the VCT function, you are moving the powerband away from that broad performance and toward performance that is focused on a specific RPM range, which is generally high RPM for high performance cams . . . in other words, generally, you lose low end torque

but if the lockouts are required for the cams that you chose, then you don't have any choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.