Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 mustang gt, quickly overheating

8K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  MasterX 
#1 ·
Roush cold air intake (one month ago installed), recommended level of coolant put in after I noticed it was low, no leaks detected.
new fuel pump, new fuel regulator/sensor, new fuel rail sensor, new MAF sensor. the new items were installed last week and are aftermarket but rated to replace stock parts.

when warming up the car the temp goes higher much faster. normally it stops around 192 but it goes up to 218-225 before the fan kicks in and drops it to 201.
When I drive after it gets to 120 degrees the temperature almost staggers. it will do a quick jump by 10 or 20 but as long as I am cruising the temp will level off.
I only noticed it after hooking up my OBD2 to a garmin mechanic HD to see how everything was running. I have never seen anything like this before.

#35 ·
Sounds like you have a coolant leak from the heater hose assembly above the valley of the block. The job's a bit of a pain as the coolant needs to be drained, plus the intake manifold removed and set to one side to gain access, so $500 for parts & labor isn't outrageous. Doing the job yourself could potentially save you as much as $400 if you have the right tools.

#37 ·
First full day of having a back and it never went over 192. Although when they went to replace the coolant tubes around the manifold the O-ring completely fell apart. But everything looks good now.
Oh yeah one more thing, when I have the new fan installed I noticed that the coolant wouldn't go above 207. So the new fan definitely helped with keeping it cooler.

#38 ·
A trick i recently discovered to get the last bit of air out of the coolant system, there is a parking garage not far from my home, so on a cold start after flushing the coolant on mine because it looked a little bad, i took the car under as low rpm as possible so the temp and coolant pressure remained low and went up onto the up ramp so the nose of the car was steeply upwards, and parked it, and gurgled the coolant system, a lot of air had come our to the bottle already once on the incline, and the bottle was significantly over the heads at that point, i topped it off and since then ive had no more bubbles coming out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.