08 GT starts but won't stay running - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

08 GT starts but won't stay running

Hello,

Last weekend my 08 GT started with a bad idle and then died on us while we were 250 miles away. I was able to get it started again and we made it home but since then it will intermittently start and run ok and idle just fine until I rev it up and bit and then it will sputter and die at idle.
After that it will only fire up but not continue running, giving it gas does nothing.
What I've tried:

Edited:

1) Cleaned the throttle body
2) Replaced the MAS
3) Replaced the fuel filter
4) Replaced the fuel pump
5) Replaced the Throttle body motor
6) Replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor due to a CEL, CEL went out after.
7) Replaced the TPS

I've run out of ideas, there are no codes and once in a while it'll act like all is ok for a while.

Help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Did you replace the fuel filter?

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Did you replace the fuel filter?

Yes I did, I forgot to add that.
Also, a couple of weeks ago I got a CEL that told me my fuel rail pressure sensor was bad even though it ran just fine.
I replaced the sensor and the CEL went away immediately and has until this last weekend. The car fires up like it wants to run, it just dies right away.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's might be an electrical problem or a vacuum leak. Ignition coil, wires, spark plugs, etc. It's an eleven year old car so these things go eventually. Check all the hoses to make sure they are connected and not leaking. Are the plug wires arcing? Run the engine and lower the hood a bit to keep the light out and see if any of the wires arc.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
It's might be an electrical problem or a vacuum leak. Ignition coil, wires, spark plugs, etc. It's an eleven year old car so these things go eventually. Check all the hoses to make sure they are connected and not leaking. Are the plug wires arcing? Run the engine and lower the hood a bit to keep the light out and see if any of the wires arc.

Pete

The CP's were replaced with Accel's about a year ago, plugs were done then too. I used a can of starting fluid to check for vacuum issues, haven't found any yet.
I can't get the car to run long enough to check for an arc.. :-/
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
Rookie

Garage
Do you have a scanner that can read diagnostic data and codes? If so that could be helpful. There are a number of things you could check with that, but my first thought is fuel pressure.

I would suggest checking the spark plugs just to make sure they are fine. I replaced mine half a year ago and then in the last month I had been getting a hesitation while accelerating. I checked everything else first assuming the plugs were fine, but when I checked them yesterday, one was broken and I had been running on 7 cylinders for the last month. That at least is an easy check.

Another thing you can check is fuel injectors. The easy checks for those without removing them are using a stethoscope or something to transmit sound and listen for a steady clicking while the engine is running. You can then check the resistance of each one with a multimeter to see if one is way off.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrew View Post
Do you have a scanner that can read diagnostic data and codes? If so that could be helpful. There are a number of things you could check with that, but my first thought is fuel pressure.

I would suggest checking the spark plugs just to make sure they are fine. I replaced mine half a year ago and then in the last month I had been getting a hesitation while accelerating. I checked everything else first assuming the plugs were fine, but when I checked them yesterday, one was broken and I had been running on 7 cylinders for the last month. That at least is an easy check.

Another thing you can check is fuel injectors. The easy checks for those without removing them are using a stethoscope or something to transmit sound and listen for a steady clicking while the engine is running. You can then check the resistance of each one with a multimeter to see if one is way off.

I can't get the car to run long enough to check the injectors with a stethoscope. The car was running fine up until it wasn't, could all injectors go at the same time? Or the plugs?
Someone elsewhere suggested I check for 12V at the pump.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

What fuel rail pressure sensor did you install? Aftermarket or Ford OEM? Can you monitor live data? If so, what is the fuel rail pressure pre-igntion?

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
Have you checked the fuel pump driver module?

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR5150 View Post
I can't get the car to run long enough to check the injectors with a stethoscope. The car was running fine up until it wasn't, could all injectors go at the same time? Or the plugs?
Someone elsewhere suggested I check for 12V at the pump.
That was me in StangNet.com. It's highly unlikely that all the injectors, coils, and plugs would fail at the same time.
If there was a major ignition failure, the engine wouldn't even start at all, never mind start and run for a few seconds. My money is on a fuel delivery problem. You said you replaced the fuel pump and that it whines when you turn the ignition on, so the pump itself and the FP relay are probably OK, and the problem could lie in the fuel pump driver module as Kraig suggested.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with basic bolt-ons

Last edited by Bullitt95; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:13 AM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
. . . My money is on a fuel delivery problem. . . . .

yep that would be my bet too -- it is getting enough fuel to start, but not enough to keep running . . . but sorry I don't know how to narrow it down any better than that, beyond what has already been suggested

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
Have you checked the fuel pump driver module?

I was unaware that part even existed until you mentioned this. Where is it located?

And thank you to both you and Bullit95 for even reading these forums and chiming in, and to anyone I missed.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
It should be in the spare tire well, aft on the drivers side. There is a wire harness that connects to it, and the view of it,when looking straight down, is blocked by piece of plastic.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
It should be in the spare tire well, aft on the drivers side. There is a wire harness that connects to it, and the view of it,when looking straight down, is blocked by piece of plastic.

Yep, I found it and replaced it. $112 for a Dorman replacement at AutoZone. No go, the car still fires up strong and dies right away. On the first start I was able to give it some gas and make it idle like crap for a bit before dying.
After that it just starts and dies. This is incredibly frustrating...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Have you had the catalytic convertor checked? If it`s plugged the car will act like that.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page