Steering Pop - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Steering Pop

Over the last year or so, my front suspension has been developing a popping sound. It only happens after I've been driving for about 10-15 minutes, and you can hear it sitting still turning the wheel (either direction), and driving over bumps / turning. I had my girlfriend turn the wheel while I was looking around and I didn't see what was popping but I could feel it the most when grabbing the inner tie rod.

The outer tie rods were replaced about a year ago, inner tie rods and struts a few months ago, and I don't have a front swaybar so endlinks are out of the question. I looked over the ball joints and the A-arm bushings; the hydraulic bushing has some cracking but there was no movement when hearing the popping. Also I don't know if it changes much, but the popping is way more obvious from inside than outside.

Any guesses?

Turbo 06' GT - 550whp / 600wtq @ 14psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
BOSS Member

grab the suspension components and shake them hard...I bet you will feel a tiny pop or clink......

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
grab the suspension components and shake them hard...I bet you will feel a tiny pop or clink......
I'll give that a shot tomorrow

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019
Rookie

Make sure top of struts are on tight.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
Make sure top of struts are on tight.
They are, I double and triple checked.

Small update, haven't had time to take anything apart because of the weather, but the last time I drove it I had my girlfriend turn the wheel again while I felt around; it definitely more obvious from the inner tie rods than anything else (control arm, strut, outer tie rod, ball joint). I did look them over the other week to make sure they were still tight, and they're brand new ford tie rods... It's predominantly coming from the passenger-side I guess i'll be pulling the dust boot back off and checking it out again.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

another update; I had the car apart for a good 2-3 hours today checking torque specs just to be safe but everything checked out. Even with the car on jack stands and the wheels off I could feel it in the tie rods when I was pulling it in and out.

It more obvious from the passenger side, so pulled the dust boot off the inner tie rod over there and was watching for any sort of play, but everything looked tight...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page