High Beam Issue - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stangrider 46

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

High Beam Issue

I have a 2009 Mustang GT with HID headlights. I have no high beams on either side. High beam indicator works ok. high beam relay and fuse check out ok. I hear relay click when I switch them on and off.

Car only has 20kmi, so I doubt bad bulbs or HID system.

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019
PONY Member

Garage
If you're the original owner, I'd just try replacing the bulbs. A 10 year old car with only 20K on the odometer seems a little suspicious. How old are the HID lights? Is there power going to the lights from the relay?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yeah burnt out bulb is normally the most common issue and simplest solution . . . but do the HID's have normal "bulbs" that burn out, or are they different? not sure????

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Had the same issue on my HIDs. No high beams. I had to add a seperate positive wire. After that done everthing worked fine.
Maybe I could help you
my89foxbody likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

I went through this when I bought my 09 used. I have done extensive research. HID lights don't have a high and low beam in the conventional sense. (they don't have two elements) If they are factory HID's like mine,

(And at one point I actually had a dealer mechanic tell me they didn't put HID's on an 09) , (YES FORD DID) The high beam works by activating a shroud the moves back inside the light housing thus exposing more of the bulb to make them brighter. In my case I had no High beam indicator and it turned out to be the body module needed to be re programmed. (that fuse box near the passenger feet of the front seat) It is a smart fuse box. There are also two relays in the fuse box under the hood. So in short it should works like this. When the bright wire is energized it pulls back the two shrouds inside both light housings. You can actually hear them move if they are working.I learned a lot in the process about the wiring. But it was frustrating at times. You could just have a bad relay if the bright light indicator is working. You can check that by either just buying a new one. Or if your cheap like me. And fairly mechanical, you can find the relay, use a volt meter and see if it's getting 12 volts when you turn the bright lights on. I actually energized the other side of the relay putting 12 volts directly to my light shrouds. (So I knew they worked) I eventually took the car to a more knowledgeable dealer and had my PCM and Body module re programmed and everything worked fine. I know my terminology here is not correct. But hopefully it makes sense and helps out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page