Trying to convert 2007 Mustang GT automatic to manual - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
S197 Member

I have a 2007 GT with a manual tranny and am looking for someone in the mid-Atlantic region with a 2007 auto who wants to do the swap. I figured regional swap we could drive each others car to make sure we'll both be happy before proceeding. The answer to the obvious question, why would anyone do that is I should've bought the auto (bad hip) but I love swapping cogs! I like my car too much to trade it and don't want to suffer another 1st year/more depreciation. So, if anyone is serious and can swing a wrench (not too shabby myself) then let me know. I know it's a ton of parts to swap but should be doable on a weekend.

2007 Mustang GT Premium 5 spd M Coupe - Sold
Next????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

Saw a post by "westes1" from
Lawtey Florida last week. Looks like he wants to switch to a stick. Not sure how
far apart you guys are. You should be able to search the posts. Let me know if you can find it. If not I'll try to get you more info.
Good Luck,
Bob

06 GT Premium, Vista Blue, Auto, IUP, Front Side Airbags, Active Anti Theft, 17" Stock Bullits, Shaker 500

Previous Rides worth mentioning:
68 Mustang Fastback - 289, 4 speed
70 Torino Cobra - 429SCJ, 4 speed
71 Mercury Cougar - 351C, 4 speed
Apprentice
S197 Member

Just realized...you can click on my posts icon and get to the westes1 post from there.

06 GT Premium, Vista Blue, Auto, IUP, Front Side Airbags, Active Anti Theft, 17" Stock Bullits, Shaker 500

Previous Rides worth mentioning:
68 Mustang Fastback - 289, 4 speed
70 Torino Cobra - 429SCJ, 4 speed
71 Mercury Cougar - 351C, 4 speed

Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnengineering View Post
Just realized...you can click on my posts icon and get to the westes1 post from there.
Thanks Bob. I didn't know you can do that! Showing my forum ignorance now. I think we're in westes1 thread. He's in Florida and I'm in Maryland. I thought that might be difficult to test drive cars first.

Next????
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Not worth it to me. Unless you have all ready modded your car beyond belief. You could easily trade in your 07 for another used 07 and only spend a couple 1,000 at most if that for a stick. Sense the Auto is priced at a higher value.

The price for labor and parts will be really expensive to do the complete swap as well and it will void your warranty. If you do a direct swap you will still have a warranty and have a factory installed 5spd so you know there should not be any issues.

PROCHARGER P1SC<WHIPPLE 3.4L
5.0 Stroker Built and Blown
"DEVISTATOR"
Check out my build thread in 2005+ Talk
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tact_out View Post
Not worth it to me. Unless you have all ready modded your car beyond belief. You could easily trade in your 07 for another used 07 and only spend a couple 1,000 at most if that for a stick. Sense the Auto is priced at a higher value.

The price for labor and parts will be really expensive to do the complete swap as well and it will void your warranty. If you do a direct swap you will still have a warranty and have a factory installed 5spd so you know there should not be any issues.
You know, I never looked at trading for another 07. I freakin' love this forum! Thanks. Now I have another option.

Next????
PONY Member
S197 Member

if your racing this car you might want to keep a automatic!!!!!!!! i heard of people doing the switch the otherway. better reaction times i seen a stock auto run a 13.6 acorse there is no skill involved just push the pedal to the fl and let the tranny do the work... me myself i have a stick and love it. in the process of putting in a 100 shot of nitrous!!!

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I am going to swap to a manual from an auto for personal preference , I got a great deal on an auto trans car is why I got it, I also saw the numbers for that supercharged mustang in the article where the auto was fighting the setup and they put more horses to the rear tires with the manual trans, but honestly if I was a serious drag racer I would never switch to a manual transmission stick shifts impress high school kids automatics win races, I know most will chime in and beat me half to death for that remark but it's 100% true! problem for us s197 guys is ford screwed us on our auto transmissions it is a terrible transmission that does not hold up to any real horsepower or torque and the lockup is a joke on this pile of trans, I am a little ignorant to the specific's of the 4r70&75 but they were strong and the 4 gears all spun the same internal direction unlike the 3rd gear in the 5r55s's,when it has to shift,the 70 & 75 they would hold up to 700 & 750 foot pounds of torque before they broke right ???I think that's what the numbers stood for, it seems to me if you want to build a car to go fast and really perform well then do that, if you want a car to get great fuel economy then do that,but don't mix them up it's obvious ford can't do it anyway which is why we have this disaster of a trans, which in my opinion the automatic transmissions in the 05 to 09 is junk starting with the pin bores that are known to fail that ford won't fix the input shafts they know about and the all around weak design ford knows good and well about it but generally goes beyond warranty,apparently that's good enough. Ford knows full well what people do with these cars what a beautiful car to engineer and then to put junk into them is a disgrace,I don't know for sure but doesn't the manual trans in these years also have shift fork issues with 2nd and 3rd gear also?? ford knows how to build a strong auto trans if they want to money is the factor here,the 5r55s does in fact run very close to a manual trans in the quarter mile stock though within 1 to 2 tenths right? just have to deal with weak shifts terrible calibration and all kinds of unpredictable torque management soft irradic shift flares the list is long and distinguished maybe I am just to sensitive? but back in the day you could set up a manual valve body(meaning non electronic shifting)automatic transmission and it would be reliable and could darn near rip the rear axle out of the chassis if you wanted it to, and consistently run that way, what is wrong with ford today? anybody know? and we keep buying them,sorry I am venting on you guy's LOL by the way does anyone know if there is a 6 speed manual available for the 05 to 09 s197's, I know D&D has a complete swap out kit for $4,000 I might try aftermarket stuff and maybe screw up and find a good combination?
PONY Member

If you are putting out more than 500 hp, you are on borrowed time with a 5r55. I'm above that, and have the potential of making a substantial amount more if I didn't have to fear slicing the trans in two. There are two potential options that I am looking at.
1) a built manual shift 4r70
2) a Tremac T56 magnum / TR6060.

Both will require a pcm swap and a driveshaft, and different cross members. Either route will be a pain in the butt to swap. If I go the manual route, then I will have to worry about the pedals as well. I still haven't decided which route to go yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page