2006 GT - Coolant leak - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 GT - Coolant leak

Hello,

A few days ago, after drive approximately 15 miles (55mph with cruise control), I noticed when I stopped that there was a coolant leak on my car (2006 5-speed GT, 79800 miles), I opened the hood and noticed that the coolant was leaking from the expansion tank, between the tank and the cap (not through the cap valve).

The car was not hot (indicator on the dashboard was on the middle), I waited for the car to cool down, and put some coolant in it, about half of the tank was missing.

The next morning, I went to work with it, same road, 15 miles, when I arrived at work, no leak, coolant level was the same. I traveled for work so the car stayed on the parking lot for 3 days, today I went to pick it up and looked at coolant level first, again half of the tank missing. I put coolant again, and I let the car idle for 10 minutes in order to see if I was able to reproduce the issue.

So I notice that my fan is working correctly, the car did not heat up more than it was supposed to, and I couldn't reproduce the leak.

I left it on the parking lot for the week-end and I'm going to check on monday if the coolant level dropped again or not.

Do you have any idea where I should look first ? the car is not smoking, there is no weird stuff (like oil) in the coolant tank, the car runs totally fine, so I don't think (and I hope) that it's a head gasket issue.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Pull the dip stick to check for coolant in the crank case. If there is it will look milky. Check the water pump weep hole and area below the water pump for evidence of leaking (dried coolant residue).

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you observed the tank leaking, it's the tank. Replace it.

They are made of plastic and can get damaged and brittle. The plastic nipples also developed cracks where the hoses connect.

Tanks cost $35 to $50 at rock auto.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Just got a tank from Rock Auto, going to change it tomorrow as I noticed a crack on the thread.

Thanks for your input
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzak View Post
Just got a tank from Rock Auto, going to change it tomorrow as I noticed a crack on the thread.

Thanks for your input
Glad to hear you found a crack in the tank as that is much better than head gasket. Was there a large puddle under the car from where it leaked out while sitting for a couple days? Very odd, but sounds good. Would still check oil dipstick just to be safe! Also the caps are known issues as they get older.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in