Momentary unbalanced power to rear wheels - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeremy Weigel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Momentary unbalanced power to rear wheels

Hey all,

Have an issue that I'm trying to diagnose and open to input. Lately I've noticed what feels like uneven power to the rear wheels. I'm only feeling it when cruising or coasting and then applying throttle or even on decel without breaking (just letting off throttle). It feels like the one side is momentarily going faster causing what I can only describe as slight "fish tailing". I thought I might have a rear break caliper not fully releasing so I removed the calipers and cleaned up/relubed the guide pins and pad shims, but that hasn't worked. While I had the rear axle on stands, I rotated each wheel by hand and didn't feel any excessive drag. I've applied full breaking going from 60-0 and can not feel any pull. I've also thought it might be worn rear lower arm bushing (SR Performance poly arms) causing the rear axle to momentarily get out of square. I haven't yet had a chance to remove and inspect them yet. Another thought I've had is the limited slip clutch packs may be worn out. I changed the diff fluid about 60k miles ago with RP with friction modifier. At this point its just a minor annoyance but, I'm open to other items to check.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
Apprentice

Garage
I had something similar when my car was lowered but still had the stock (10+ year old) LCAs and no relocation brackets. A new set of Steeda LCAs fixed it. I added the brackets shortly afterwards for good measure but the rear steer effect went away with just new LCAs. In my mind, the effect of bad LCA bushings would be amplified by bad LCA geometry but I have no evidence of that.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Weigel View Post
"momentarily get out of square"
is actually just the opposite. With the panhard rod set up the rear axle is only ever "momentarily in square" as a normal situation. Having said all that, are your panhard connections all nice and healthy? I have a 2005 GT and mine are a bit suspect even just in appearance.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I replaced the panhard bar link and mount bushings last year with poly. I'm am now feeling it a bit with mild breaking so I'll be going through all 4 calipers this weekend. I also plan on checking the LCA's and I'll check the panhard bolts too.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Just to follow up, appears to have been a worn front LCA bushing on the passenger side. Replaced the LCA almost 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed it since. I believe now that the passenger wheel was monetarily going "toe in" causing the slight pull.
JBert, my89foxbody and Beechkid like this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Weigel View Post
Just to follow up, appears to have been a worn front LCA bushing on the passenger side. Replaced the LCA almost 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed it since. I believe now that the passenger wheel was monetarily going "toe in" causing the slight pull.
Are you talking about the passenger side control arm for the front wheel here, or the front (chassis) bushing of the passenger side rear LCA?

If it was a rear LCA, when one wheel toes in, the opposite side toes out and you get a double-dose of wrong toe.

Yes, the axle does steer a tiny bit as it moves laterally (due to the LCAs being skewed a little relative to the car's centerline). But not by enough to matter in most cases/situations.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Are you talking about the passenger side control arm for the front wheel here, or the front (chassis) bushing of the passenger side rear LCA?

If it was a rear LCA, when one wheel toes in, the opposite side toes out and you get a double-dose of wrong toe.

Yes, the axle does steer a tiny bit as it moves laterally (due to the LCAs being skewed a little relative to the car's centerline). But not by enough to matter in most cases/situations.

Norm
Yep the forward (small) front bushing on the passenger front LCA.

Unfortunately the issue is still there. Still feels like its the rear axle to me. I took a long pry bar to the rear LCA bushings, but didn't see any movement...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page