Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Help- Trying to remove driveshaft (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/1083915-help-trying-remove-driveshaft.html)

Blue22 11-09-2019 05:59 PM

Help- Trying to remove driveshaft

I'm trying to remove the driveshaft and it is still not coming out. Here is what I have tried:
-raised rear higher than front, jacked up from pumpkin, still won't budge
-unbolted upper control arm, jacked up differential, won't budge

Anyone have any other tips to remove the driveshaft from the pinion flange? It is really stuck in there!

Thanks!:smile:

huberoy123 11-09-2019 06:44 PM

Have you tried youtube.com. They have videos of how to remove drive shafts.

Jeremy Weigel 11-09-2019 07:45 PM

I gave mine a few good whacks with a rubber mallet to break it loose from the pinion flange. Also, if you're reusing the old driveshaft, be sure you put index marks on both ends so you install in back in the same position you removed it. And I also highly recommend using a 12 point 10mm socket on the pinion flange bolts to avoid rounding the heads. I found this out the hard way.

https://lib.americanmuscle.com/files/14100-manu.pdf

s197gt 11-09-2019 09:10 PM

Never too late for others who might look at this thread:

Blue22 11-09-2019 11:26 PM

I viewed the many youtube videos, it is still not moving. I have tried hitting it with a mallet, still no luck. I think the pinion angle might be too high. Any other thoughts?

imps 11-10-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue22 (Post 9252309)
I viewed the many youtube videos, it is still not moving. I have tried hitting it with a mallet, still no luck. I think the pinion angle might be too high. Any other thoughts?

If we're talking about the U-joint yoke at the pinion gear, angle is immaterial. If you have successfully removed the 4 bolts, it may be possible to get a narrow, very heavy duty prybar between the pinion end and hit that bar with a good heavy hammer. Won't hurt to spray some penetrating juice on the yoke first.

Blue22 11-10-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imps (Post 9252311)
If we're talking about the U-joint yoke at the pinion gear, angle is immaterial. If you have successfully removed the 4 bolts, it may be possible to get a narrow, very heavy duty prybar between the pinion end and hit that bar with a good heavy hammer. Won't hurt to spray some penetrating juice on the yoke first.

Penetrating oil and pry bar with heavy hammer worked great! Hit it hard several times until it popped out! Thanks for your help!