Help- Trying to remove driveshaft - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue22
  • 1 Post By imps

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Help- Trying to remove driveshaft

I'm trying to remove the driveshaft and it is still not coming out. Here is what I have tried:
-raised rear higher than front, jacked up from pumpkin, still won't budge
-unbolted upper control arm, jacked up differential, won't budge

Anyone have any other tips to remove the driveshaft from the pinion flange? It is really stuck in there!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Have you tried youtube.com. They have videos of how to remove drive shafts.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I gave mine a few good whacks with a rubber mallet to break it loose from the pinion flange. Also, if you're reusing the old driveshaft, be sure you put index marks on both ends so you install in back in the same position you removed it. And I also highly recommend using a 12 point 10mm socket on the pinion flange bolts to avoid rounding the heads. I found this out the hard way.

https://lib.americanmuscle.com/files/14100-manu.pdf

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

Never too late for others who might look at this thread:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I viewed the many youtube videos, it is still not moving. I have tried hitting it with a mallet, still no luck. I think the pinion angle might be too high. Any other thoughts?
imps likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
I viewed the many youtube videos, it is still not moving. I have tried hitting it with a mallet, still no luck. I think the pinion angle might be too high. Any other thoughts?
If we're talking about the U-joint yoke at the pinion gear, angle is immaterial. If you have successfully removed the 4 bolts, it may be possible to get a narrow, very heavy duty prybar between the pinion end and hit that bar with a good heavy hammer. Won't hurt to spray some penetrating juice on the yoke first.
s197gt likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
If we're talking about the U-joint yoke at the pinion gear, angle is immaterial. If you have successfully removed the 4 bolts, it may be possible to get a narrow, very heavy duty prybar between the pinion end and hit that bar with a good heavy hammer. Won't hurt to spray some penetrating juice on the yoke first.
Penetrating oil and pry bar with heavy hammer worked great! Hit it hard several times until it popped out! Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page