Need help with nitrous - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Need help with nitrous

Hey my wife bought me a nitrous outlet kit for Christmas. I have been reading for about 2 weeks and let me tell you there is a lot of bulls*it on the forums about nitrous and 3v’s. So I need you guys to help wade through this to find the truth. Please if you don’t know for sure, then don’t chime in. I do plan on tuning when the funds become available

Ok. So here is my plan. I have a wideband air/fuel gauge which I plan to install and see where my car sits throughout the rpm range before I activate the nitrous at all. If the ratio is good then I will start with the smallest jet, which I believe is 50hp. Re-run watching my air/fuel all the way. Is there any problem in running the 50 hp jet with no tune?

I have read that guys are running a 100 shot without tune, even read ifguys running 125 shot and no tune. I think this is complete bs. With tuning, what else is required for a 100 shot? Plugs? Window switch?

Thanks in advance. The car isn’t my daily driver but I still don’t want to blow it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
You can run any size nitrous shot you want without a tune. At least once.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Haha. Your not wrong.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Tell us a little about the nitrus kit you have. Is it wet or dry? What type of setup do you have? Does the car have other existing mods? How many miles on your car and is it up to date on maintenance? All this and the more info you can give the better advice you will get...

Nitrus doesn't have to be scary, but I mean it has earned a bad rep from people buying it and slapping it on with little or often no thought and blowing motors. Like any other mod it needs to be done right or the results you get might not be what was hoped for...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Tell us a little about the nitrus kit you have. Is it wet or dry? What type of setup do you have? Does the car have other existing mods? How many miles on your car and is it up to date on maintenance? All this and the more info you can give the better advice you will get...

Nitrus doesn't have to be scary, but I mean it has earned a bad rep from people buying it and slapping it on with little or often no thought and blowing motors. Like any other mod it needs to be done right or the results you get might not be what was hoped for...
It’s a wet nitrous outlet x series( beginners kit I’m told). The only mod on the car engine wise is an off-road x pipe. Other than that completely stock. 84,xxx kms. Not sure how many miles that is. The car is meticulously maintained. Lots of preventative maintenance and anything that needs to be done is done immediately. It’s so taken care of that it’s only seen rain twice since I owned it, and then only because I was caught in it. Thanks a lot for the reply and any other questions you have about the vehicle just ask.

I have to say that there is so much contradicting info on the web that it’s really hard sifting through it all. “Don’t run anything without a tune”, “I run 125 shot without a tune and only use colder plugs”. I think maybe this is the reason so many people have trouble with nitrous. They believe everything they read.

I plan on installing my kit, running the car without being armed, watching my wideband gauge. Then another run with the 50hp jet and watching my wideband even before going for a dyno tune. That way I’m educated on what’s happening in the engine myself before paying to have it tuned for the 100 hp jet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmxz View Post
Itís a wet nitrous outlet x series( beginners kit Iím told). The only mod on the car engine wise is an off-road x pipe. Other than that completely stock. 84,xxx kms. Not sure how many miles that is. The car is meticulously maintained. Lots of preventative maintenance and anything that needs to be done is done immediately. Itís so taken care of that itís only seen rain twice since I owned it, and then only because I was caught in it. Thanks a lot for the reply and any other questions you have about the vehicle just ask.

I have to say that there is so much contradicting info on the web that itís really hard sifting through it all. ďDonít run anything without a tuneĒ, ďI run 125 shot without a tune and only use colder plugsĒ. I think maybe this is the reason so many people have trouble with nitrous. They believe everything they read.

I plan on installing my kit, running the car without being armed, watching my wideband gauge. Then another run with the 50hp jet and watching my wideband even before going for a dyno tune. That way Iím educated on whatís happening in the engine myself before paying to have it tuned for the 100 hp jet.
I assume you have a tune for your off road x-pipe otherwise your CEL is on. Just to preface this all is I have little to no NOS experience personally. Always thought about, but because of all the negatives never tried it... Now a friend of mine ran a I believe 100-150 shot I believe wet on his 99-04 4.6 GT. I believe he had it tuned for it as well. I am not sure how the car will respond if not tuned for it. I would imagine at the least without a tune you won't get full benefit. I mean adding even as small as 50hp to an un-expecting engine has to be tough. I mean think about it this way, a car that calls for 87 octane gas doesn't really get any benefit from using 93 octane gas without a tune... Doesn't do damage, but no benefit and it doesn't help it.

I think the best advice I can give you is to talk to a local performance shop as they will be able to give you all the knowledgeable info you would need. Are you planing to instal yourself? Wet kits are much harder to do than dry kits. I know you said starter kit, but usually dry is a quick, easy, and fast starter kit. At least that what I found and was told when I entertained this idea years back on a my second 2006 GT once I got a manual trans I was thinking about doing it on. Now I will also tell you they told me wet is much safer than dry so good that you have wet, but wet is a more difficult and hands on install. I was much newer into cars back when I considered this so I was working with a shop who was going to do install and set it all up. This was a long time ago, but I think they were doing a dyno tune to support it.

In short I would call up or stop by a local performance shop and run your plans by them to get the best advice. Even if you plan to do work yourself if you find a good and friendly shop they love cars and will be happy to talk with you. I would find one who can do tunes so you already built the relationship and when ready to tune and do other mods they can be your go to.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019
BOSS Member

1st call the NOx kit mfg to get their recommendation for your specific application. IMHO, the 50-75 shot would be my max for running stock pistons (non-forged). That is a boost level that IMHO would run comfortably for many years....above that, you start throwing the dice a bit on long term longevity- depending on how often you use it of course.
MustangLife likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Good advice. Yes I plan to install myself. I will be tuning for the 100 shot when funds allow hopefully not to far away from spring. The car is in storage now but I’m the type that likes to have some things worked out before diving in. As I said, the first run with it installed it won’t be armed. If my air/fuel isn’t where I feel it should be, then the system won’t be armed until it is.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Next question. Can the msd window switch replace the wot switch altogether? The kit came with a wot switch for older cars, that’s another story that I will make another post about.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

regarding the tuning: I would contact "Lito" at [email protected] and ask him about it; he is one of the best remote tuners for the 4.6 3V and seems to be a real straight shooter, I think he would be familiar with the tuning needs for nitrous

other than that, I don't know so I won't comment

EDIT/PS: his name is Manuel Pazo; I have no idea where "Lito" came from, LOL

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
I used to run a 125 wet shot on my 06 3v. It had a bama tune for the shot and colder plugs. I really only ran it once and then sold the car and got a 2012 gt. My car was an auto so I only used the wide open switch since I could turn it on after 3k rpm. If you have a manual, its recommended to have a msd window switch since you don't want the nitrous on while your shifting gears. It would also be good to have the wide open switch also. They should work in conjunction, let's say your past 3k rpm but your not at full throttle and the nitrous comes on. You may have a mess on your hands or an intake in a million peices. That's why it's good to have a wide open switch as another saftey feature so you dont hurt stuff. All the msd window switch does I believe is give your car a "window" to have the nitrous on, for example 3000-6500 rpm.

2012 Lava Red GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page