Ford Mustang Forum banner

What size pistons?

876 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  momarlon 
#1 ·
Alright, I’m getting my first motor built but I’m clueless as to what I need specifically.
I’m looking at this rotating assembly

http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/99025246.htm

But I’m unsure of which “piston options” I should run along with all other things optional. Car is cammed with longtubes btw. I plan to buy an on3 kit this weekend as well. My goal is 500-600rwhp.

#2 ·
It really boils down to a choice between the 6.5cc pistons and 9.86 compression (near stock), or 14cc pistons and 8.94 compression.
Since your engine's cammed and you're planning to install a turbo, I'd suggest you go for the higher compression pistons. The lower compression pistons would allow you to run a higher boost, but the off boost response would be sluggish and the engine would feel weak below 3000rpm.

#3 ·
Alright, probably not the best questions but the more I research, the harder it’s getting to answer them lol. Okay, so I’m reading the stock crank can withstand up to 800hp.. mine got damaged so it can’t be used. Remember I’m looking to run 600-650rwhp and I considered trying to save money with a cast steel crank but the one from eagle is only rated for 500hp... should I stay away from eagle? Any suggestions or insight on which crank/kit to buy?

I’m just trying to get the right parts to match my build. (Seen a lot of people saying most don’t need to go with forged cranks, some said why cheap out, some cast cranks broke, if I go stock, do I need to pick different pistons and rods?)

Money isn’t a major issue but of course, if I can save money, I would like to. So I guess this is a forged vs cast question but I want to know brands as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.