Shifter play while in gear, is this normal? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Shifter play while in gear, is this normal?

I have quite a bit of shifter side to side play while in any gear (I'll grab a video of it shortly). It doesn't feel normal, but I'm new to the S197 platform.

2010 GT, all original. TR-3650.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Sounds like the bushings in the shifter linkage are worn out. Good excuse to upgrade to a short throw shifter such as MGW or Barton.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with bolt-ons
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020 Thread Starter
Apprentice

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Sounds like the bushings in the shifter linkage are worn out. Good excuse to upgrade to a short throw shifter such as MGW or Barton.

I think you are right. I updated with a video.

Does anyone have an MGW or Barton they could do a similar video with? I was thinking MGW flatshifter with the blowfish v2 bracket.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I have the Barton and it's fantastic. Highly recommend it.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Does the car drive and shift fine? If so easy fix and good time to upgrade to that short throw I am sure you have been curious about getting. Been there done that on a S197, but it happened to me with a hurst short throw I had at the time.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Does the car drive and shift fine? If so easy fix and good time to upgrade to that short throw I am sure you have been curious about getting. Been there done that on a S197, but it happened to me with a hurst short throw I had at the time.

Driving around low / mid rpm and shifting not too fast it does fine. Anything above 5,500rpm or close to redline I get mega lock out in 3rd gear. Sometimes 1st to 2nd as well but not as often.

Going from 2nd to 3rd shifting at redline I have to go to neutral, wait a second, then go to 3rd gear. Anything even remotely quick and I hit a wall.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Obviously, sloppy shifting because of worn bushings won't help - but sounds like your synchros need a bit of an assist too. If I were you, I'd change out your gear oil with a good modern synthetic and see if that helps get you in and out of gear better. Definitely replace the bushings too, or you'll just be slopping around missing your shifts and grinding gears anyway.
marylandGT likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

You could replace the bushings in the stock shifter but you'd be much happier with an aftermarket short throw unit. Then it won't feel like you're stirring soup every time you change gears. This is the reason why the gears aren't engaging cleanly.

V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02MustangGTGuy View Post
Driving around low / mid rpm and shifting not too fast it does fine. Anything above 5,500rpm or close to redline I get mega lock out in 3rd gear. Sometimes 1st to 2nd as well but not as often.

Going from 2nd to 3rd shifting at redline I have to go to neutral, wait a second, then go to 3rd gear. Anything even remotely quick and I hit a wall.
That sounds normal for a sloppy shifter with worn parts, but sounds like everything else is ok. I wouldn't dive it to hard right now or you will damage the synchros if you haven't already. Order a shifter and install and you will be all set!

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Obviously, sloppy shifting because of worn bushings won't help - but sounds like your synchros need a bit of an assist too. If I were you, I'd change out your gear oil with a good modern synthetic and see if that helps get you in and out of gear better. Definitely replace the bushings too, or you'll just be slopping around missing your shifts and grinding gears anyway.

Good call, I'll do that first and see what happens. 3.15 quarts Mercon ATF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
You could replace the bushings in the stock shifter but you'd be much happier with an aftermarket short throw unit. Then it won't feel like you're stirring soup every time you change gears. This is the reason why the gears aren't engaging cleanly.

Yeah, I wouldn't turn down a shorter throw. I grew up with manual cars, so this isn't anything new to me. But... This shifting being as sloppy as it is feels strange. First car with a remote mount shifter as well, so I guess an upgrade is in order. My original thought was an MGW Flatshifter with a BlowFish V2 bracket. Eliminate the remote mount altogether and do a new shifter on top of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
That sounds normal for a sloppy shifter with worn parts, but sounds like everything else is ok. I wouldn't dive it to hard right now or you will damage the synchros if you haven't already. Order a shifter and install and you will be all set!

I haven't really drove it super hard. My previous daily had a lot less power, so I'm still getting the hang of it. The gearing is insane tho, at the top of second I'm going 80mph...
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02MustangGTGuy View Post
Good call, I'll do that first and see what happens. 3.15 quarts Mercon ATF?

There's a lot of controversy over which is best. Tremec recommends Havoline, but a lot of people say synthetic Mobil 1 ATF is great. GM synchromesh seems to work well too, but I have heard that it causes some problems down the line. Hard to guess the truth of it.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I do think there are some better options than the original Mercon ATF; Mobil 1 ATF is the "de-facto standard" to my knowledge, and I thought I read some threads that said that Penzoil Synchromesh? was about the best . . . suggest you try some searches to find the threads with the latest on this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'll probably go with Mobil 1. I've used that exclusively (motor oil) for years and numerous vehicles. Currently running Mobil 1 extended performance 10w-30 with a K&N filter. Would only make sense to go with Mobil 1 ATF.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have run the original fluid, Mobil-1, and Amsoil in mine; and I think the Mobil-1 and Amsoil were both a little smoother shifting than the original, but not a big difference. There was a thread on here with a "better" fluid but I don't remember if it was the Havoline or Pennzoil; but that's what I was going to try next time I change it. (I have been changing it every couple years because I road track the car)

Regarding 80 MPH in 2nd -- that seems a bit high from what I remember, from when I had the original 3.31 rear gears in mine; and I calculate 70 MPH at 6,500 RPM in 5th with the original 235/50-18 tires and 3.31 rear. Do you have taller tires or taller gearing?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page