Ford Mustang Forum banner

manual trans to Auto using the new 10 speed

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  uscoop 
#1 ·
My knees are not as young as they used to be, and it's not so easy to be shifting. I bought a 2019 Ford Ranger and it came with the new 10 speed auto trans and I love it. Of course this new 10 speed is in all the Ford vehicles, including the new Mustang GT and GT500.

I know it's possible to change from manual to auto trans in my 2008 Mustang GT, but it is possible to use the new 10 speed trans?

I might even do a engine swap at the same time and go with the new version of the coyote. But that will be super $$. I first want to know if I can just do the manual to auto using the 10 speed.

#2 ·
I don't think anyone has done a 10R80 swap into a 3V GT, and it presents a big challenge as the tranny controller is shared inside the engine's ECU.
A 4R70W swap with a manual valve body would be a more viable alternative, a lot cheaper, and a lot less complicated.

#3 ·
Ok, that makes sense. Do you happen to know what parts would be needed to do the 4R70W swap?

Nice 06! Looks a lot like mine :grin::grin:

#4 ·
I looked up the 4R70W and it looks like that trans is for Mustang up to 2004. It is also not for cars that are Supercharged. I did a quick search for auto trans for the Shelby GT, which is also supercharged same as mine and I found this one, see attached pic.

My car produced 495 rwhp with 91 octane fuel for the street tune, and the racing tune was 515 rwhp with 100 octane fuel. I need a transmission that can handle my setup and be tough enough to take it to the drag strip and hammer down. I was thinking that a trans that was made for the 2008 Shelby would be ideal, as the hp is close and pretty much the same engine setup in terms of bolting up the trans.

Don't they make a full kit to convert from manual to auto? Would be cool if a kit had everything needed, for example the peddle change, the shifter change, tubes, brake Master cylinder, etc. I already know I will need a new tune, that is not a problem - as I will just take it back to the shop that did my existing tune.

Attachments

#5 ·
Actually the 4R70W can be made to be quite bullet proof (800-1000 hp). Supercharging and 500 hp isn't an issue for a 4R70W. They also have their own controller. It is actually easier to convert a manual 3V to a 4R70W then it is a 5R55W 3v auto to a 4R70W auto. I don't know much about the 10 speed auto, but I know the 5R55w is the worst transmissions on earth. Both the 6R80W and the 4R70W are much stronger. From what I hear the only issue with the 6R80W is that it also relies allot on the engine ecu. I haven't heard of a 6R80W swap into a 3V yet.

good luck on your' project.

#6 ·
Yeah, a built 4R70W from a '96-'04 GT would bolt right up to the 3V engine. The only question then is whether the stock driveshaft would be the right length.
A 6R80 or a 10R80 swap isn't feasible without swapping in a Coyote engine as well.
The 5R55S isn't a bad transmission (the AODE was definitely worse) but it wasn't designed for much beyond stock power, and the 10-spline input shaft is its biggest Achilles heel. Although there are upgrades available for the 5R55S, 4R70Ws are plentiful and cheap. Since they were already strong and reliable in stock form, they're popular for swaps. If you add a manual valve body, you won't even need a trans controller and it would be like driving a clutchless manual.

#7 ·
Thanks guys! Just knowing the 4R70W will bolt right in is music to my ears. Monster Transmission has one that is race ready and good up to 600hp for only $1700. I guess with this transmission, I would only need a new tune - is that correct? I'm not concerted about the drive shaft, as if my current one piece doesn't fit, I'll just have one made to fit.

Does anyone know if there is a full kit I can buy that will include all the other parts needed, brake peddle, shifter, brake master cylinder, etc? If there is not a kit, a confirmed list of exactly what I will need we be awesome.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks - good to know. I'm going to call them on Tuesday and find out the details.

#10 ·
I called them and they custom build the transmission for my setup. The kit includes the torque converter and controller pre configured to match my gears, tire size, and hp. The kit is about $4k to my front door.

I would still need the following:

Large brake peddle
Flywheel for Automatic
Brake Master Cylinder
Shifter and maybe a new center console
I might need a new cross member brace
I might need a new driveshaft
I think I will also need a new custom tune

I hope somebody who has done this can confirm if I'm missing anything from the "Need" list.

I think I can get some of this stuff from CJ Pony. I was hoping there was a conversion kit that just included everything I would need, but I cannot find one.

#12 ·
This project is on hold until spring 2021. I purchased a 1969 Mustang that we are restoring, so that is taking priority. Funny thing is I will be installing the 4R70W transmission in that car too, along with a 408 stroker.

For the 08 converstion, I have this job detailed out terms of steps, and in in some cases where to source the parts.
Looks like about $5k - $6k in parts
approx $4k in labor, with me doing some of the work and the shop doing the rest
and another tune

This is no small project. I'm already tired and I'm still in research mode LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.