Head upgrade question for the 4.6L 3V, 2008 Mustang GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricesmoker View Post
Not many have seen that HP number N/A ....
It's tough on a modular motor. At 408 I think I've about tapped the potential of this motor without some form of power adder.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

So am I solid up to 6-700 with just the spring/retainer/rotating assembly/fuel system upgrades (along with the BBKs & delete plates) or is there something critical that I've missed ? I realize I could/perhaps should p&p/consider different cams but are any of those changes really necessary at the power level we're talking about possibly making and the RPMs I'll ordinarily be running at ?

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troon2004 View Post
So am I solid up to 6-700 with just the spring/retainer/rotating assembly/fuel system upgrades (along with the BBKs & delete plates) or is there something critical that I've missed ? I realize I could/perhaps should p&p/consider different cams but are any of those changes really necessary at the power level we're talking about possibly making and the RPMs I'll ordinarily be running at ?
6700 on stock internals is pushing the outer fringes of safety.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

I'll be changing out the rotating assembly Mark, along with the springs and retainers...are you saying that those changes along with the others I mentioned (and ones I've already made to the vehicle) are not sufficient to support that kind of HP ?If not, what are you suggesting I consider ?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
It's tough on a modular motor. At 408 I think I've about tapped the potential of this motor without some form of power adder.

But....stlwagon....that's not the motor you car came with. ;-) I'm talking about getting it up to 350 rwhp without removing the engine. ;-) Still, your list of mods is amazing. I'll never go that far; this is my daily driver.

2006 GT/RS3
2010 Taurus SHO
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0SSRAC3R View Post
But....stlwagon....that's not the motor you car came with. ;-) I'm talking about getting it up to 350 rwhp without removing the engine. ;-) Still, your list of mods is amazing. I'll never go that far; this is my daily driver.
350 is rather easy with cams and a few other boltons (electric water pump, pulleys, full exhaust, CMCV plates)

1965 Mustang Coupe
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troon2004 View Post
I'll be changing out the rotating assembly Mark, along with the springs and retainers...are you saying that those changes along with the others I mentioned (and ones I've already made to the vehicle) are not sufficient to support that kind of HP ?If not, what are you suggesting I consider ?
I missed that part... You'll be fine. I still make power at 6800 but I have my rev limiter set to 6700 just to be safe.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Thanks Mark- I was hoping that would be the case, although I've read that a lot of guys also do the entire valve train while they're at it and cams too.
R3dF1r3

Years ago, Blow BY Racing was the first S197 I ever read about (Johnny Z I think he was), to completely rebuild everything in his motor which sat in the first LNR body kit to boot.

He was very dissapointed in the fact he could barely crack the 400HP barrier. I think he actually only got like 380 or so RWHP.

The costs invested were alot.

FI is the best bang for buck period.

Besides, when you sell car (IF), you simply unbolt it, sell both seperately and walk away.

Don't want to talk anybody out of any mods, everything is cool to do depending on needs, just be aware of point of diminishing returns.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to jrowledge
Hey Guys,
A supercharger can reduce the rpm at which valve float occurs. This will be do to the increased or positive pressure on the back side of the intake valve. Figure 10#s per square inch multiplied by the surface area of the valve and you have reduced the effective seat pressure of the spring by that amount. That said, I have had no issues with floating valves on mine running 10-11#s of boost(at 5500 ft of elevation).

Jim
2007 GT/CS, Vista Blue, FRP 200hp supercharger, Ford Racing GTA mufflers, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust,GT-500 rear spoiler, FRP short throw shifter. Eibach Mutli-Pro Coil Over Suspension, BMR K Member & Adjustable Lower Control Arms, Steeda Bump Steer Kit, Steeda X-5 Ball Joints,Maximum Caster Camber Plates(required maching my Steeda Billet strut tower brace end mounts), CHE Adjustable Lower Contols Arms and Anti Squat Brackets. GT-500 wheels and tires, Ford Racing 14" Brembo brake set-up.

Last edited by jrowledge; 04-15-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dF1r3 View Post
Years ago, Blow BY Racing was the first S197 I ever read about (Johnny Z I think he was), to completely rebuild everything in his motor which sat in the first LNR body kit to boot.

He was very dissapointed in the fact he could barely crack the 400HP barrier. I think he actually only got like 380 or so RWHP.

The costs invested were alot.

FI is the best bang for buck period.

Besides, when you sell car (IF), you simply unbolt it, sell both seperately and walk away.

Don't want to talk anybody out of any mods, everything is cool to do depending on needs, just be aware of point of diminishing returns.

I guess it depends on the discussion, but unless stated, 400 "hp" used to mean flywheel or "bhp", unless you tack on "rwhp". Just my exp. I'm always only talking about flywheel. I guess times have changed... Ford published 550 HP for the Ford GT, which was quickly discovered to be rwhp, not flywheel.

My target is 350 rwhp and 370 or more lb-ft.

2006 GT/RS3
2010 Taurus SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page