CAI,3.73 gears, and tune for a 2005 Mustang GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Don't do it yourself! Have a good mechanic that you trust do it.

"If you ain't first, your last!"
06 Mustang GT, Black, C&L "Street" Intake and X3 tune from Evolution Performance, FRPP GTA Axle-back exhaust, Hood Scoop, Side Scoop and Side Window Louvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
3.31 is stock if you didn't get the 3.55 option
Got the car used so not sure if the previous owner got the 3.55 option or not. Is there a quick way to check? I'm new to modding so I'm trying to learn as I go here.

06 Mustang GT, Black, C&L "Street" Intake and X3 tune from Evolution Performance, FRPP GTA Axle-back exhaust, Hood Scoop, Side Scoop and Side Window Louvers
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDayne419 View Post
Got the car used so not sure if the previous owner got the 3.55 option or not. Is there a quick way to check? I'm new to modding so I'm trying to learn as I go here.
Sorry I messed up. If you have an auto it's 3.31 otherwise for manual it's 3.55.

2005 Satin Silver GT
JLT CAI w/Lito Tune
American Thunder Flowmasters w/X-pipe

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Alright, that makes more sense, I figured I had 3.31 from the feel of it but wasn't sure after I heard everyone talk about 3.55 with their GTs. Thanks for the help, I'll give you a good rating!

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
I was in the same boat with my bought-used '07 GT. There's a code on the driver's side door that has a whole bunch of stuff in it, and two characters are either CC (3.55) or CG (3.11). I may have those swapped, though. You might search this subforum, it's where I found the info.

Objects in mirror are less relevant than they appear
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
CD is 3.55 and CG is 3.31.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ok so 3.31 it is, so going to 3.73 would definitely be worth it right?

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
ok so 3.31 it is, so going to 3.73 would definitely be worth it right?
You'd feel the difference going from 3.31 to 3.73. Not so much from 3.55 to 3.73 (which was my first gear swap).

1965 Mustang Coupe
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
You'd feel the difference going from 3.31 to 3.73. Not so much from 3.55 to 3.73 (which was my first gear swap).
although i have a v6 not a GT, im getting a turbo and was told 4.10s are not a good choice for F/I and that i should go with 3.73's, i only have 3.31s now and this will be a car thats raced, i dont care about the loss of gas mileage with 4.10s if they are the better option.

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchris View Post
although i have a v6 not a GT, im getting a turbo and was told 4.10s are not a good choice for F/I and that i should go with 3.73's, i only have 3.31s now and this will be a car thats raced, i dont care about the loss of gas mileage with 4.10s if they are the better option.
There are plenty of guys with FI who run 4.10s. Most of them are supercharged though. Maybe 3.90s would be a good compromise?

1965 Mustang Coupe
Apprentice
S197 Member

i have the steeda cai and brenspeed 87 octane tune in my 05 gt and just got the ford racing 3.73 gear installed and i really like it! big difference.

comp nsr stage 2 cams,steeda cai. brenspeed 93 octane tune, sct tuner. ud pullies cmd plates.bbk shorty ceramic headers. magnaflow catted x-pipe. jba mufflers. steeda- rear sway bar, panhard bar & brace, lower & upper control arms, spidershaft alum. ds. deep tranny pan. 3.73 ford racing gears. lpw diff. cover.che k-member brace with torque limiters. front brake cooling kit. + more!
Apprentice
S197 Member

oh ya, my car is a automatic and had the 3.31 gear.

comp nsr stage 2 cams,steeda cai. brenspeed 93 octane tune, sct tuner. ud pullies cmd plates.bbk shorty ceramic headers. magnaflow catted x-pipe. jba mufflers. steeda- rear sway bar, panhard bar & brace, lower & upper control arms, spidershaft alum. ds. deep tranny pan. 3.73 ford racing gears. lpw diff. cover.che k-member brace with torque limiters. front brake cooling kit. + more!
GT Member
S197 Member

I have a stick and ordered the car with the optional 355s. After the s/c was installed I had the 373s installed. I only drove the car for about 5 miles with the 355s and no s/c. About 500 miles after the c/c was installed I had the 373s installed. Not a big difference in gears.

07 GT. Exterior mods n/a. Engine mods, see profile.
One of the more powerful cars around.
One of the slower cars around.
Makes me feel like a kid every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
how hard is it to install new gears?

No, But that depends on your ability. Leave something like this for a pro. The set-up is crucial for long gear life and noise.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
what are the stock gears for the 06 GT? 3.55? I was thinking of going to 3.73 also but if they are already 3.55 then I won't bother.
Check the sticker in the driver's side door jam. There should be a rear axle code given there:
CD 3.55
CG 3.31

There also might be a sticker on the diff cover giving you the ratio. Mine has one.

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page