2008 Mustang GT Grille Removal: Good Luck! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Unhappy 2008 Mustang GT Grille Removal: Good Luck!

I'm trying to install an upper grille insert on my GT, and was having problems getting mine loose so that I could get a better shot at removing the pony. Had to look up a way to deal with the 4 corner tabs (thanks guys!).

However, everything I read lead me to believe that once the 4 tabs were disengaged, the grille would pop out. Such is not the case with the 2008 GT. The 2008 model, I have discovered, has 8 tabs, not 4. There are 2 tabs per side, plus an additional 4 tabs that run along the bottom. These 4 tabs are identical to the others (read "pain in the butt"), with the one exception of actually being impossible to reach. There is simply no way to approach the tabs in a manner that you can even see where to place a screw driver and pry.

So, for anyone that's wanting to pop out their '08 upper grille, good luck! I'm betting it's actually easier to simply remove the whole front bumper.

~HA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
I'm trying to install an upper grille insert on my GT, and was having problems getting mine loose so that I could get a better shot at removing the pony. Had to look up a way to deal with the 4 corner tabs (thanks guys!).

However, everything I read lead me to believe that once the 4 tabs were disengaged, the grille would pop out. Such is not the case with the 2008 GT. The 2008 model, I have discovered, has 8 tabs, not 4. There are 2 tabs per side, plus an additional 4 tabs that run along the bottom. These 4 tabs are identical to the others (read "pain in the butt"), with the one exception of actually being impossible to reach. There is simply no way to approach the tabs in a manner that you can even see where to place a screw driver and pry.

So, for anyone that's wanting to pop out their '08 upper grille, good luck! I'm betting it's actually easier to simply remove the whole front bumper.

~HA
Actually, removing the bumper cover is quite easy, unless they made that more difficult on the 08s too

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I dunno, haven't really looked into that yet. Probably won't. I think removing the 4 tabs has given me enough room (flexing) to do what I need to. I was just posting that as a heads up, since I didn't see anything in the searches about the additional 4 tabs.

~HA

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

im surprised your having so much trouble, i did mine a couple weeks ago. i'll admit the four tabs on the sides of the grill where a pain. but the bottom tabs were not to much trouble for me. i used some long needle nose pliers to bend the tab back, then a flat head to push the male end of the tab out of the female end (i hope this makes sense to you). Once i had all four side tabs out the four on the bottom where a breeze, just get your hand under the grill and above the bumper and feel around. they come out pretty easy, just dont get to frustrated. the grill looks great when your finished, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	42838  

Never leave a good time to find another.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008
PONY Member

Just pull the bumper cover it takes fifteen minutes:
two bolts on top radiator cover, remove six radiator cover plastic push pins, remove three phillips screws on each wheelwell splash guard, then remove three plastic turn pins. Move the splash guard and remove 3 nuts on each side holding bumper cover to fender. Unplug turn signals. Remove six phillips screws holding the bottom of the bumper cover to the bottom splash guard. Tilt it up and pull back. Done.
Now you can unplug the foglights and you can access anything (including the pony) on the grille.
Twenty minutes tops to remove this cover.

KB 2.4 IC, KB Stage 2, Level 10 tranny, Kooks 1.75" LT, Powerhouse, FRRP, Moroso, M/T, AFCO, Autometer, Hot Rod Chassis, ST Motorsports, Moroso, Granatelli Motor Sports, Simpson

[email protected] 118.98 MPH 1.63 60'
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008

biff,

Where did you get your grill? And, did you have to remove the Pony? I'm thinking about getting that grill or a complete billet grill.

Thanks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
im surprised your having so much trouble, i did mine a couple weeks ago. i'll admit the four tabs on the sides of the grill where a pain. but the bottom tabs were not to much trouble for me. i used some long needle nose pliers to bend the tab back, then a flat head to push the male end of the tab out of the female end (i hope this makes sense to you). Once i had all four side tabs out the four on the bottom where a breeze, just get your hand under the grill and above the bumper and feel around. they come out pretty easy, just dont get to frustrated. the grill looks great when your finished, good luck.
Huh, really? I thought they felt just like the side tabs, and after a few pokes, prods, and tugs, I figured they were the same thing, just at an impossible angle. Maybe I should have been rougher with them...?

Anyhoo, I've got the same grille as you. Did yours fit worth a flip? The side pieces worked great, but the center piece stood out a full inch beyond the fog lights and looked goofy. I finally took an angle grinder to the pony outline to get it leveled out. It looks better, but still not what I'd hoped for. It's making contact against the honeycomb on both ends, but still isn't as flush as the side pieces. Most people won't notice, but it annoys me.

~HA
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangAddiction View Post
biff,

Where did you get your grill? And, did you have to remove the Pony? I'm thinking about getting that grill or a complete billet grill.

Thanks.
i got mine from Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle free shipping and it was 129.99 for the upper grill and 74.99 for the lower grill. yes you do have to remove the pony, i used some mini bolt cutters to cut the prongs from behind the grill, very easy to remove the pony. and you can remove the pony without causeing harm to it. in case you wanted to keep it.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
Huh, really? I thought they felt just like the side tabs, and after a few pokes, prods, and tugs, I figured they were the same thing, just at an impossible angle. Maybe I should have been rougher with them...?

Anyhoo, I've got the same grille as you. Did yours fit worth a flip? The side pieces worked great, but the center piece stood out a full inch beyond the fog lights and looked goofy. I finally took an angle grinder to the pony outline to get it leveled out. It looks better, but still not what I'd hoped for. It's making contact against the honeycomb on both ends, but still isn't as flush as the side pieces. Most people won't notice, but it annoys me.

~HA
mine came right out, they were the same as the side tabs, but they slipped right out. i dont know why you had so much trouble with yours. sadley my grill did not sit flush like the side ones did. but once you put the radiator cover on and close the hood, i can barley tell. i think overall it looks great even though the top of the middle piece may be sticking out a little bit.

Thanks for the info biff.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangAddiction View Post
Thanks for the info biff.
Y'all who've had your hands and minds all over those grills: do you see any reasonably easy way to move the entire grill forward a couple inches? Part of the anti-aerodynamic characteristics of the S197 is air piling up in front of the grill, trapped there by the chin -uh- bumper and the overhang of the hood. An old racers' trick from back in the day was to move the grill forward so the air would flow over the top and around the sides, rather than piling up and increasing resistance. Every little bit helps!

Do the fasteners or the tabs lend themselves to extention of a couple inches forward of the stock location? Would it take some fancy engineerig, or a few spacers?

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page