Please Help 2005 Mustang GT LOUD transmission rattle with cold engine only - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery_tim View Post
Yep - I spotted this thread last night when trawling through the forums - Theres just so much good info on this site that sometimes its just a case of finding it.

Anyway - i think thats the problem. Trouble is - Whats the cure? i know you may be able to fix it with a rubber or paper gasket, but is this really a good fix?

Oh and besides - the bolts holding the seperator plate to the bell housing are rusted solid - Great! - i do hope i havent got to drill them out. Any suggestions?
My 3 pieces of folded up bicycle inner tube are still in there. Still no rattle. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to find a more permanent solution. Regarding the rusted parts, have you shot the bolts with some WD40? I'd be surprised if they were that rusted in.

2006 GT - Black - Redfire stripes - Red leather - Louvres - 18" Polished Bullits - Flowmaster AT's - 3.73 gears - JLT intake / Bamachips tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by critguy View Post
My 3 pieces of folded up bicycle inner tube are still in there. Still no rattle. As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to find a more permanent solution. Regarding the rusted parts, have you shot the bolts with some WD40? I'd be surprised if they were that rusted in.
OH yes they were :-) Steel bolts into an aluminium casing = Corrosion + sticking. The heads were rusted up, but after much WD40 (and others) i got the allen wrench in - Anyway i t still took a 2ft extension and the bolts argued all the way out. But they are out now!! Trouble is, i think one of the bolts took much of the thread with it.

The plan is to try your rubber gasket idea. Ill let you know if it works. i Just hope i can get the bolts back in.

Tim

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

*SULK*.... almost but not quite.

Got under the car yesterday - and installed neoprene washers around the bolts - and the rattle all but went away - however this morning, when starting from cold - Its rattling again. DOH!.

The plate does seem slightly distorted - (for what reason i dont know). Do you think that replacing the plate - and also fitting the rubber washers in will help? If so, i guess its a case of removing the transmission? how tough/expensive will this be?

I will post some pics when i get under it again.

..grrr..

Apprentice

My solution was a little different. I wasn't putting washers under the bolts. I sandwiched rubber at 3 points around the plate - between the bolts. Anything to stop that fricking plate from ringing like a bell. Worked like a charm. It was easily the single most frustrating experience I ever had with a car. I feel for you, brother!

2006 GT - Black - Redfire stripes - Red leather - Louvres - 18" Polished Bullits - Flowmaster AT's - 3.73 gears - JLT intake / Bamachips tune
Rookie

I'm a new user, but I replied to a similar thread a week ago with my similar experience.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...04-2005-a.html

At the time in Dec 2005 when I experienced the problem there wasn't a TSB. The dealer did figure out that part of the flexplate was hitting the flywheel. They got some suggestion from Ford to cut a piece out of the flexplate. The dealer did this under warrenty. PM me if you want the service invoice#. Then have your dealer call my dealer to get the details of the fix.

-R
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the same exact problem, i bought my 05 gt used with about 37,000 miles on it, should I just take it to the dealer and say i believe my flexplate is hitting my flywheel? But why would tempature affect whether the contact between the two?

2005 SCREAMING YELLOW GT WITH BLACK RACING STRIPES....enough said
Rookie

I just found this post and thank goodness I did!! I took my 2006 GT to the dealer out of warranty of course due to the rattle when cold, thought it was the cat as well. Dealer told me the throw out bearing was bad and wanted 700 to 1000 to replace!! I took the car home and was contemplating how great life is then i read CRITGUY's fix and the rattle is gone, THANK YOU!!! I am pissed that my dealer charged me 100 for a bad throw out bearing when a 10 min fix with some rubber solved the problem,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page