Mustang GT. Going to having cam phasers replaced - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Wow, ok this is interesting as I never really understood what actually happens when a cam phaser goes bad--

So the cam phaser advances and retards the camshaft via oil pressure, right?

So when one goes bad, if its just the ticking noise--does that mean the phaser is still advancing and retarding the camshaft?

My car was built in early 05 also, so I have been figuring this is going to eventually happen to my car as well----lets say I make a pass at the track, then come back and have this noise (cam phaser), can I run the car again? Would anything be effected?

Paul

2006 Mustang GT
572 cid BBF 924 hp / 781 tq
9.168 @ 149.65 mph @ 3420 lbs, all motor
8.715 @ 156.19 mph 200 shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtk View Post
Being a dealership tech...I have never seen, heard or worked on any Mustang built later then Feb of 05 that had a bad camshaft phasers. With that being said they might be bad I've just haven't heard of any problems with them on later production vehicles. If they do replace them only the valve covers need to come off. Ford has special tool to keep the chain in place. The phasers are made completely of metal.When they gone bad they will make rotational swish noise at IDLE, if you bring the engine idle up to over 1800 rpms the noise goes away, then its the phasers. There is no need for the dealership to change the PCM program, as far as I know there isn't an updated calibration.
your absolutely right it does make a rythmic swishing noise at idle. i think there also gonna change my timing chain tensioners also cause the service technician talked about having to remove the front clip of my car and change my engine oil also. seemed like a bunch of real nice guys and i feel like i can trust them. im so use to doing my own engine work but i know nothing about these 4.6L. thanks guys for you help.

S197 Member

Ford tech here as well and I can remember replacing only one set of the updated phazers on an F-150 so they work good. TSB 06-19-8 gives a good description of the noise but it only applies to 05 Mustangs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page