2006 Mustang S197 GT Tach Install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 Mustang S197 GT Tach Install

I have an '06 S197 GT, and I am installing a tach. Now this has been nightmare central, and I wish I'd never bought the thing. $125.00 for the tach, and $80.00 for the tach driver that nobody at the parts store told me I would need, even though I asked the morons if I could install this in a CoP car with "no other parts required."

Fast forward to now... tach driver is installed (thanks to a ton of help from a fellow member... thanks again, hammeron), most of my interior parts are either in my back seat, workbench or on a blanket on the garage floor, and I read this:

Removal and Installation
NOTE: Prior to removal of the audio unit, it is
necessary to upload the audio unit configuration
information to the diagnostic tool. This information
needs to be downloaded into the new audio unit
once installed. For additional information. refer to
Section 418-01.

That was copied from the Ford Service Manual. Well, I was thinking to myself as I was starting to sweat while I was taking the head unit out to get to the dash... "man, this would be a GREAT time to replace the Junker 500 with a real head unit," because I will never, ever take this thing apart again in my life! LOL.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this warning would concern me if I install a new stereo? I understand that the PCM/ECU talks to the head unit, but I can't figure out what the significance of this is.

Thanks very much,

Jim

President and Whacked Out Mustang Junkie, Missouri Chapter, Wicked Stangs -- Praise the Lowered
Number 178 of 3403 Windveil Blue GT Coupes built in '06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008
Apprentice

Fast forward to now... tach driver is installed

hey this is great news! i was wondering about
the status....thanks for the follow up...

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this warning would concern me, if I install a new stereo?

from what i gather, it would only be necessary to
download data from the original radio, if another
(of like kind) was going to be reinstalled....this would
allow for the uploading of the customers preset stations
etc....

2006 Mustang GT
Whipple HO
Hot Rod Cams
M-5230-S (KR's)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

hammeron,

The tack is installed and working perfectly! All I have left to do is tidy up a couple of looms and put the interior back together. I did end up drilling through the dash pad, but I took great pains and lots of time to make sure it was perfect... and I nailed it.

I am compiling the information that I got from you and everything else I have scrounged up, and will put up a nice, tidy little tutorial for anyone else that is considering this for their S197.

Thanks very much again for your help... you made this much easier than it could have been.

Jim

President and Whacked Out Mustang Junkie, Missouri Chapter, Wicked Stangs -- Praise the Lowered
Number 178 of 3403 Windveil Blue GT Coupes built in '06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008
Apprentice

i saw that other link and it
does take guts to drill into
a perfectly good dash :-)

i look forward to seeing the tutorial

2006 Mustang GT
Whipple HO
Hot Rod Cams
M-5230-S (KR's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page