Popping sound from passenger side when hitting bumps - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008 Thread Starter

Popping sound from passenger side when hitting bumps

Hi,

i have a lowered 2008 GT that is makind this popping sound when i hit tiny bumps on the road, doenst matter if im turning right or going straight as soon as i hit the bump (mostly in lower speed) i can hear some popping noise like a loose bushing.

I have changed the shocks and the strut mounts so i dont think they are causing that.

what do you think it is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008
GT Member

what kind of strut mounts did you put on there when you swapped em out?

there usually the culprit.... does the ride make the noise when you turn in general?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
It might be the vertical sway bar links.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Also, check your exhaust. Mine gets to "sagging" right above the little brace and my pipes will hit it and make me think it is something in the suspension. I just loosen up the pipes, and lift up on the pipes and then tighten them back up. (I have the entire weight on my supertrapps hanging from the mid-pipes, unlike the mounted Flowmasters that were removed)

Can't hurt to check this out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

After changing out the springs and/or shocks it is not unusual for the sway bar link nuts to ge or get loose enough to allow play. This can cause the kind of sound you describe. Check the torque on the nut (85 lb-ft). Did you use loctite?

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
It might be the vertical sway bar links.
After the strut mounts that was my second thought also..:hihi:

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrosser View Post
After changing out the springs and/or shocks it is not unusual for the sway bar link nuts to ge or get loose enough to allow play. This can cause the kind of sound you describe. Check the torque on the nut (85 lb-ft). Did you use loctite?
Maybe this is a silly question, but how do you torque the sway bar end links properly? The stud turns at less than 85 pounds. OR do you hold the nut with standard wrench and put the torque wrench on the smaller stud?

Then, do you turn the nut with the standard wrench and hold the stud in place with the torque wrench? ...or do you hold the nut still with the standard wrench and turn the stud with the torque wrench?

OR is there some other tool available for these situations?

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008 Thread Starter

I used GT500 strust mount and the sway bar link is pretty tight ,

besides i had the same issue before i put up the new shocks and springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page