Some SuperCharger Questions VS. staying N/A - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Some SuperCharger Questions VS. staying N/A

So I have been thinking and making plans for my car as to what im going to do with it in the next year or so.... literally im making a plan made in excel with $$ figures and stuff.... srry im BBA grad... its just in me now to work that way!

So after seeing what STL had to do to get to the numbers he's at.... im starting to question what I wanna do myself. I wanted to get around 350 to the wheels while staying N/A.... which is about 400 at crank.... but now im thinking is that route i wanna stick to. I mean going FI gets you up there sooo quick.... and Im not so sure im gunna be happy with 350rwhp... so my question to myself I guess.... which im trying to answer is will I be happy with 350 rwhp? I suppose Ill have to figure that one out myself.

Before I buy any more parts im gunna do some serious research as to what i wanna do first... stay N/A or go FI.. then buy parts.... now Im seriously considering going FI... but to be honest I came on these forums pretty clueless when i signed up about general things... but i still knew a few things.... now when it comes to superchargers.... im REALLY clueless. So ...

Which begs a few questions in my head.... what is the safest max rwhp the s197 GT can handle without making significant other changes on the car... I dont wanna dig myself a hole i cant afford to fill back up, LOL... I dont wanna end up having to do new transmissions and engine building.... just wanna add the supercharger.... so which superchargers are my options limited too.

of those superchargers what else will i need to do in terms of parts to do a PROPER setup on the car... ie. clutch upgrade , injectors?, etc.

thanks guys.... its decision time as im buying a bevy of parts soon and dont wanna have to redo the same stuff later because i opted to go FI later on! And i not considering going turbo... only superchager... I had turbo on my last car... wanna do something different this time around.

thanks again for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I thought 350 would be fine at first, then 400. I was wrong. I'm sure I'll outgrow my next toy at some point.

I tried to remain true to staying N/A, but I ran out of parts and I was losing interest. So I copped out and bought the blower.

The accepted stock block 'safe' range is somewhere in the 475 area. Though many have gone much higher with zero problems.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008
PONY Member

You can easily do 450 RWHP with a safe tune. Some risk takers (me?) push it further. I have over 500 therabouts and have pushed my car hard at the track for 2.5 years. I have never broken anything on the drivetrain except the tranny. My stock auto tranny did not like my supercharger even when I only had 444RWHP. I upgraded to a Level 10 transmission, which was the only aftermarket version of the 5R55S tranny available in November 2006.
It has worked flawlessly for me since.
I will also recommend not to buy a bunch of engine or chassis parts until you decide where you want to go. I can get 1.58 short times on stock suspension and drag radials.
It depends what you want your car to be. I wanted a fast street car I could drive any weekend and smoke a Vette or a ricer. I dont want my car to shake and rattle like a race car. So I am trying to keep susp[ension as stock as possible. So choose your mods wisely and plan them strategically so they work together.
You cant beat forced induction on little 281 cubic inch engine!

KB 2.4 IC, KB Stage 2, Level 10 tranny, Kooks 1.75" LT, Powerhouse, FRRP, Moroso, M/T, AFCO, Autometer, Hot Rod Chassis, ST Motorsports, Moroso, Granatelli Motor Sports, Simpson

[email protected] 118.98 MPH 1.63 60'

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricesmoker View Post
You can easily do 450 RWHP with a safe tune. Some risk takers (me?) push it further. I have over 500 therabouts and have pushed my car hard at the track for 2.5 years. I have never broken anything on the drivetrain except the tranny. My stock auto tranny did not like my supercharger even when I only had 444RWHP. I upgraded to a Level 10 transmission, which was the only aftermarket version of the 5R55S tranny available in November 2006.
It has worked flawlessly for me since.
I will also recommend not to buy a bunch of engine or chassis parts until you decide where you want to go. I can get 1.58 short times on stock suspension and drag radials.
It depends what you want your car to be. I wanted a fast street car I could drive any weekend and smoke a Vette or a ricer. I dont want my car to shake and rattle like a race car. So I am trying to keep susp[ension as stock as possible. So choose your mods wisely and plan them strategically so they work together.
cool... so any suggestions as to which supercharger setup to with in that range? maybe paxton?
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystar86 View Post
cool... so any suggestions as to which supercharger setup to with in that range? maybe paxton?
An intercooled Paxton would put you around 480 rwhp on an otherwise stock car.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008
Apprentice

I'm getting 465 rwhp on a very safe tune with my rotrex. I could go higher, but I prefer to err on the side of caution for now.

Whatever kit you decide on, consider getting a GT500 fuel pump to go with it. Injectors should already be included with any of the supercharger kits. And, no, you likely won't be happy with 350 rwhp -- at least not for long. lol

Rebecca
'08 Grabber Orange GT/CS
488 rwhp and 454 rwtq
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca View Post
I'm getting 465 rwhp on a very safe tune with my rotrex. I could go higher, but I prefer to err on the side of caution for now.

Whatever kit you decide on, consider getting a GT500 fuel pump to go with it. Injectors should already be included with any of the supercharger kits. And, no, you likely won't be happy with 350 rwhp -- at least not for long. lol
What PSI is that?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
What PSI is that?
Just 10

Sheesh. I really have to type 15 characters before it'll post? lol

Rebecca
'08 Grabber Orange GT/CS
488 rwhp and 454 rwtq
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
An intercooled Paxton would put you around 480 rwhp on an otherwise stock car.
damn.... thats pretty good, lol.... im curious about what general bolt on parts cant be run when you have a supercharger setup... ie. cai, h pipe, suspension upgrade components that you should get differently if running supercharger etc...
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

and what is this whole stuff about PSI, LOL... NEWBIE HERE...... i mean i want this car to be a good daily driver.... what kinda boost should you run for that? or does it even matter?
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca View Post

never heard of rotrex..... how long have you had it on? hows it been so far? havent seen any of the common mustang websites/shops selling it or installing it.... where did you pick it up? thanks man.... i think i know im not gunna be happy with 350 rwhp... hence this thread..... i honeslty think tho.... i dont wanna go over that 450rwhp range as i need this car for daily driving for the next few years, lol... so yah.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
I thought 350 would be fine at first, then 400. I was wrong. I'm sure I'll outgrow my next toy at some point.

I tried to remain true to staying N/A, but I ran out of parts and I was losing interest. So I copped out and bought the blower.

The accepted stock block 'safe' range is somewhere in the 475 area. Though many have gone much higher with zero problems.
hey what kind of setup are you getting stl.... i remember reading in that thread of yours your getting a blower... just dont remember which one your getting... was it vortech i think? any reasons your going with the vortech? thanks.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricesmoker View Post
My stock auto tranny did not like my supercharger even when I only had 444RWHP.
Well i want my car to be a fast street car... just like you said... or at the max maybe some autocross track time.. im not much into the drag scene... although i love hitting the track to go watch people drag.

Few questions arise from your post.... what do you mean about the chassis parts, what are you referring to? Also what about the tranny... was it cuz it was auto.... i got stick.... is this just a hit/miss thing with the tranny or other reasons?

thanks.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member

if i havent asked enough dumb questions... whats this business about intercooled versus not intercooled? and, what about supercharger maintenance.... i mean is there difference in the amount of cost of maintenance each different one will require after its installed? i read something crazy like the supercharger or something needs to be taken off to do the maintenance and put back on... thats insane... im not that kind of tech guy... LOL... once it on... i wanna leave it on!

srry for so many questions guys....i jut wanna be sure about what i get, when i get it.
S197 Member

keep in mind when you get the supercharger it is a requirement that you have to use 91 octane, so thats going from regular to premium.

non intercooled kits wont produce as much power maybe around 350 rwhp and intercooled kits usually will give you 400-500 rwhp

psi = pounds per square inch.. = the amount of compressed air going into the engine.
PSI is determined by the pulley in front of the s/c. anything under 10 psi should be safe for your engine... the more psi you have the more hp your engine will make.. eventually when you get used to the speed of your fast car you will probly want to change pulleys and want to go faster :hihi:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page