Strut Bolts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Strut Bolts

Since the strut mounting bolts are supposed to be single use I'd like to know what people do when they replace the struts: buy new hardware from Ford, which is pretty expensive, or use a cheaper generic bolt?

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
PONY Member

You can reuse the bolts, but the upper strut mounts are what you have to replace. OEM mounts from the dealer will run you around $60 a piece, but if you are going to be doing more suspension work, you should just get the caster/camber plates for adjustment since our cars from the factory have no camber adjustment, but they are more pricey! Hope this helps you.

'08 GT
5.0l Kenne Bell/23.5psi, dual BAP w/quad GT500 pumps, ZEX 25 shot, Holley 4bbl., 105mm TB w/Tornado spacer, Nitto 335/25/22's, new points and plugs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

You can use any bolts that are the same size, length and grade as the stock one.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
GT Member

glad you posted this thread up 65sohc.... im needing to know can someone tell me exactly which nuts/bolts i need brand new when I lower my car in the next couple weeks...

in other words I am putting in lowering springs, new upper strut mounts, adjustable panhard bar and camber bolts..... when i do this does anyone know exactly which bolts i will need to replace with brand new ones as i do it (ford recommended)? I presume I can buy these from a local dealership or somewhere online?

thanks.... btw 65sohc... the cheapest way to do a strut mount upgrade on our GT's is the route im taking.... buy the OEM GT500 uppers strut mounts... there 35% more stiffer (i think) then the regular GT ones and then use camber bolts for camber adjustment.... one bolt on each side will be good for 1-2 degrees of camber... thro on two sets if you like for more adjustment.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystar86 View Post
glad you posted this thread up 65sohc.... im needing to know can someone tell me exactly which nuts/bolts i need brand new when I lower my car in the next couple weeks...

in other words I am putting in lowering springs, new upper strut mounts, adjustable panhard bar and camber bolts..... when i do this does anyone know exactly which bolts i will need to replace with brand new ones as i do it (ford recommended)? I presume I can buy these from a local dealership or somewhere online?

thanks.... btw 65sohc... the cheapest way to do a strut mount upgrade on our GT's is the route im taking.... buy the OEM GT500 uppers strut mounts... there 35% more stiffer (i think) then the regular GT ones and then use camber bolts for camber adjustment.... one bolt on each side will be good for 1-2 degrees of camber... thro on two sets if you like for more adjustment.
I reused all of the bolts and I've had the struts out like 5-6 times. I only replaced the strut mount plates because I broke a strut mount bolt by accident.

It is recommended that you replace those bolts in the rear suspension out of fear that they might break, but I've yet to hear of that happening. I've had the panhard bolts out 5 or 6 times with no issues. Just ensure they are torqued correctly and at ride height with a dab of locktite.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly43729 View Post
I reused all of the bolts and I've had the struts out like 5-6 times. I only replaced the strut mount plates because I broke a strut mount bolt by accident.

It is recommended that you replace those bolts in the rear suspension out of fear that they might break, but I've yet to hear of that happening. I've had the panhard bolts out 5 or 6 times with no issues. Just ensure they are torqued correctly and at ride height with a dab of locktite.

thats good to know bigwilly.... but just to be on the meticulous side of things, i rather know which ones need replacing and just get a new set of em put in... i wonder how much Ford stealerhips charge you for the bolts, lol.... i guess i will see how i feel on the day of....if im feeling lucky, ill just thro the same nuts/bolts back on! if not then off to the stealership.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

In the excellent Tech Links section of this forum where they discuss removing the front suspension components they say to remove and discard the swaybar nut and spindle to strut bolts and flagnuts. It is these latter parts that are expensive. I messed up two of the flagnuts the first time I had my struts off and I think each nut was something like 12 bucks. I just bought a pair of GT500 strut mounts and Eibach camber bolts as suggested above. The camber bolts were only $18 so it would actually be cheaper to replace all four OEM strut bolts with adjustable ones. I wish I had thought of that when I ordered them from Late Model Restoration. If I order a second pair now I'll have to pay another $14.95 flat rate shipping charge. A related question: when tightening the swaybar link nut, is there a place to put a wrench on the back of the bolt?

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008
MACH I Member

Quote:
thats good to know bigwilly.... but just to be on the meticulous side of things, i rather know which ones need replacing and just get a new set of em put in... i wonder how much Ford stealerhips charge you for the bolts, lol.... i guess i will see how i feel on the day of....if im feeling lucky, ill just thro the same nuts/bolts back on! if not then off to the stealership.
It's pretty much up to you. I had a unknown clunk in the rear and replaced every nut and bolt back there, all for the low, low price of ~$100. But like I said, I've removed and replaced parts for various reasons since and have used the same bolts with no problems.

So while I think Ford's recommendation is valid, I don't think it's on the same level as say, trying to drive with three wheels or something like that.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly43729 View Post
It's pretty much up to you. I had a unknown clunk in the rear and replaced every nut and bolt back there, all for the low, low price of ~$100. But like I said, I've removed and replaced parts for various reasons since and have used the same bolts with no problems.

So while I think Ford's recommendation is valid, I don't think it's on the same level as say, trying to drive with three wheels or something like that.
cool man.... i will perhaps re consider buying new nuts/bolts.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:

You don't have to replace anything with what you have planned.

1965 Mustang Coupe
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
You don't have to replace anything with what you have planned.
alrighty ... thanks man.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

If you buy replacement bolts, they should be Grade 8. Grade 5 is your standard grade, grade 8 is typically used in suspensions.
Here is some info you might find helpful:
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...Materials.aspx
Metric bolts may read a bit different. I believe if the bolts are metric the equivalent grade is 10.9.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page