S197 Transmission Mount needed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

S197 Transmission Mount needed

Does anyone know of a high performance transmission mount for the s197? I wish Prothane had one!

2007 Mustang GT Premium 5 spd M Coupe - Sold
Next????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
MACH I Member

I doubt anyone makes one. What's wrong with yours?

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Well, I'm not sure anything is wrong with it, but the tranny moves around a lot and I'm trying to improve the shifter's feel. I've installed the Prothane engine mounts and that helped some. Thought if I could get more of the movement out it'd feel better, particularly the 2-3 shift. I have a feeling that the poor shifter performance has more to do with transmission design (synchros, shift forks, etc...) than the mounts. I've installed a poly busking on the tranny, left the rubber on the rear of the shifter and installed a Triax shifter (just increased the effort) and I'm trying different things until I can save up enough money for a TR6060.

Next????

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
MACH I Member

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Thanks Bigwilly,
I didn't consider that since I have the Prothane engine mounts, but that may help. Not too much money either.

Next????
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
MACH I Member

No problemo!!!!

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Some of the transmissions that come off the line are a little off due to bad tolerance stacking. You may have one. Unless you are looking into making some serious torque in the future (500+) you donít need to shell out the big bucks for the 6 speed. The 6 speed is not all itís cracked up to be in some cases too. For one it weighs a TON, which is never good. The 6th gear is another overdrive so unless you are looking to cruise down the freeway at really low RPMís the extra gear wonít do you any good. Top speed will be in 5th not 6th. The gear spacing on the 5 speed is not bad at all. With a 3:55 and 500ftlb it will grenade any tires short of slicks and still have a 190mph top speed.

You could have Liberty Trans go through your 5 speed and blueprint it which will get that sucker shifting like butter. And while they are in there they have a couple parts they can install that will dramatically increase the strength of the trans. The last one I had blueprinted by them cost me somewhere around $400. I canít imagine the upgraded parts cost a fortune.

Good luck

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Some of the transmissions that come off the line are a little off due to bad tolerance stacking. You may have one. Unless you are looking into making some serious torque in the future (500+) you donít need to shell out the big bucks for the 6 speed. The 6 speed is not all itís cracked up to be in some cases too. For one it weighs a TON, which is never good. The 6th gear is another overdrive so unless you are looking to cruise down the freeway at really low RPMís the extra gear wonít do you any good. Top speed will be in 5th not 6th. The gear spacing on the 5 speed is not bad at all. With a 3:55 and 500ftlb it will grenade any tires short of slicks and still have a 190mph top speed.

You could have Liberty Trans go through your 5 speed and blueprint it which will get that sucker shifting like butter. And while they are in there they have a couple parts they can install that will dramatically increase the strength of the trans. The last one I had blueprinted by them cost me somewhere around $400. I canít imagine the upgraded parts cost a fortune.

Good luck
Thanks Squidd. I didn't think of that possibility either. Certainly a lot cheaper that the 6 speed. I am envious of its triple synchros.:nogrinner I'm going to check out Liberty. I just want a better shifting car. This is what I love about this site. A great bunch of guys willing to help out and share their ideas and experience. Happy holidays!

Next????
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

What shifter are you using?

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
What shifter are you using?
I'm using the stock shifter now. I had a TRI-AX but found the effort high and it was still difficult to shift. I don't drag race the car, (yet), but do enjoy a manual. Most of my cars have been manuals. Nothing sweeter than the sound of a nice muscle car running through the gears. BTW, I'm using the stiff poly bushing on the tranny and the soft rubber bushing on the rear of the shifter so the shifter maintains better alignment with the tranny. I've been thinking about the MGW. If I pull the trigger on another shifter that is what I'll get, but unfortunately, I think the MGW is better made than the tranny, so I'm afraid I wont see the results I'm looking for.
Thanks

Next????
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Well you don't need to worry about alignmentof the shifter with the trans. you should try it with the poly aft bushing. The stock shifter is a piece of junk. It also has a rubber bushing in the part that hooks to the trans. Yes the aftermarket shifter are stiff at first but will loosen up a little. You said your not racing the car, so you shouldn't hurt the trans unless your driving like your bang shifting it all the time. The stock shifter doesn't have travel stops, while the aftermarket one do.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
Well you don't need to worry about alignment of the shifter with the trans. you should try it with the poly aft bushing. The stock shifter is a piece of junk. It also has a rubber bushing in the part that hooks to the trans. Yes the aftermarket shifter are stiff at first but will loosen up a little. You said your not racing the car, so you shouldn't hurt the trans unless your driving like your bang shifting it all the time. The stock shifter doesn't have travel stops, while the aftermarket one do.
I was under the impression that you wanted the shifter and tranny to rotate (due to the motor torquing) at the same rate and distance since the critical relationship is between the shift rod out the back of the tranny and the end of the shifter, i.e. tranny to shifter vice shifter to car body. Sorry, probably over thinking this thing BTW, I had poly on both ends of the tranny earlier.

I think I'll take Squidd's advice and get the tranny some TLC (blueprint) and then slap a better shifter on her.

Thanks all for your advice! I'll let you know when I get 'er done how it feels.

Next????
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to resurect this old one. Anyone tried one of these braces? I'd like to know if someone tried and and it helped or didn't help shifting...

My shifter (Steeda Triax) moves around all the time while I"m driving. Don't have any problems shifting, but it bugs me that the trans is moving so much...

Arden
'05 GT Conv. Triple black. Eight cylinders; uses them all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page