CAI tightening, I'm an idiot - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang2005
CAI tightening, I'm an idiot

On Sat I cleaned my throtlebody. Well the cleaner got into my generator. At the time I didn't think much about it. Today going to work noise was coming from the engine compartment, I thought oh Sh!t. My generator is screwed. All day I've been pist with myself. Once I got home tonight my wife helps me track the noise down. I noticed when slamming the door once the engine was off there was the noise.

You wouldn't believe that it was the bolt that holds my intake down was loose. I"M AN IDIOT.

05 GT
C&L Racer Intake. 87-91-93 octane programs from Brenspeed. Motion Plate Delete Plates(NOS ports). Throttle body spacer taken out 1 week after install. Ford Racing Shorty Headers, Custom High flow cats, Steeda UDP's. Steeda GT axel backs. Steeda Lower control arms, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. A surprise rebuild by brother (Master Mechanic) He calls it a stroker. Custom heads and cams with who the hell knows what else.Oh the NOS kit I dont have a bottle for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Always better to realize you're an idiot on your own vs having someone else point it out. We've all done some stupid things. I remember when I dropped one of my coil bolts down the sparkplug hole. Glad nobody was around for that one.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Well better to find out yourself the have some else tell you.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Were all guilty I remember one time I was tightening down my strut brace and I broke the mounting bolt it cost me ended up I was using my old uncalibrated torque wrench. cost me $400 to replace were all idiots sometimes haha.

Black 2006 GT T-2 Torsen Diff, 3.73 gears, FRPP 90MM CAI, SCT X-Cal 3 tuner/ Speed Inc. dyno tune, FRPP catbacks, Steeda Triaxe w/ Hurst stick and T handle, SVT strut mounts, FRPP strut brace, Steeda UDP, JBA long tube headers, JBA O/R H-pipe, CHE LCAs, CHE anti-squat brackets, Steeda adj. UCA, Steeda heavy duty engine mounts, FRPP AC delete, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Hotchkis swaybars, Corbeau FX1 Pro

DONE: 1968 Convertible PROJECT candy apple red 289 w/ edelbrock 4bbl 600 cfm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009
PONY Member

Oh yeah!!....i got the 96 gt, of course the hoods fiber glass, I pay $70 for ford racing hood pins..Piut holes through my radiator suppourt and hood, pins are too short...I get $60 fake pins, cover up the hole...4 days later Im leaning over my engine I guess I put too m uch weight on the mounts and they snapped, luckily there was a 98 on the junk yard and I was able to get the mounts from there...

Beer on the table.
*ROAD RUNNER*
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
I wouldn't sweat it. Try dropping one of your brand new $800 cams on the concrete The cuts and bruises on my hand are not from working on the car.

If they play, I spray.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2005 View Post
On Sat I cleaned my throtlebody. Well the cleaner got into my generator. At the time I didn't think much about it. Today going to work noise was coming from the engine compartment, I thought oh Sh!t. My generator is screwed. All day I've been pist with myself. Once I got home tonight my wife helps me track the noise down. I noticed when slamming the door once the engine was off there was the noise.

You wouldn't believe that it was the bolt that holds my intake down was loose. I"M AN IDIOT.
Maybe now is a bad time to mention this but you don't have a "generator" you have an alternator in your Mustang. The last Mustang with a generator was the 64-1/2 (early production 65's actually but they are referred to as 64-1/2).

2007 Mustang GT Premium
Redfire Metallic w/ Dark Charcoal Leather Interior
5-speed manual w/ Hurst Competition Plus Shifter
18" Polished Fan Blade Wheels
GT Appearance Pkg
Interior Upgrade Pkg
Airaid CAI w/ FRPP Tune
Roush Lowering Springs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFire07GT
hey man atleast you didnt waste money on someone to tell you that was the prob. or break somehting on your car and lie to you and fix it juft so they get money outta the deal.

ive seen some people go through worse lol.

Good Findings Though. My girlfriend hates when i work on my car or order things. one time she took one of my orders i recieved from UPS and i thought it got backordered lol.

SCTx3Custom-Tune by JJ at Woodbine MotorSports, All Motor 375RWHP/350Tourqe.

Best ET 1/4mile-11.875 at 116.03 60ft-1.646
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Yea I tightened my CAI so tight it bent the plastic making about a 1 inch gap. I looked at it the day I cleaned my throttle body,and found it.

JLT CAI/BAMA tune,moto blue pullies,3:73`s,LPW girdle;Powerhouse DS,CHE safety loop,CHE LCA`S & Adjustable UCA,Kooks LT`S & O/R X Pipe,prothane MM`s,Steeda CMDP`S,Eibach springs,Tokico D specs,Polished TB(by Me),Steeda radiator support,Zex kit 100 shot. Taylor Relocation battery kit and cut off switch,PTC converter,Bogarts and Hosier QTP`S.
11:903 ET, 1.67 60`,111.897 MPH
PONY Member
S197 Member

I guess I should begin to be really, really careful when I work on the car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page