Still confused Axel back Vs Cat back - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Still confused Axel back Vs Cat back

Hey folks, New member here and I apologize if i'm pickin an old scab, but please enlighten me for I know ya'll know you stuff. Here goes: If I want to keep my cats, other than buying better flow cats, whats wrong with my stock H pipe and just doing an axel back, or are the benefits of high flow cats and and a better mid pipe worth the $$$, from what I think i've learned is there is a minimal gain in hp with just axel back set up, but dollar for dollar is the added hp worth a cat back system, or are those gains minimal as well? Or does the majority of all this exhaust stuff just basically break down to sound?

2007 Tungsten GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
On your 07, it basically all breaks down to sound unless you get into big HP mods on the motor (Supercharger, Nitrous, Big Heads/Cam package, etc). Actually, there is so little gain from and axle back set up... its not worth discussing which brand is the best. However, do to the location of the cats in the stock system, there is some power to be gained there. However, without doing headers, there is more power to be gained elsewhere.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009
PONY Member

mostly sound. imo there is nothing wrong with the stock cats and h-pipe. get you a good set of axle back muffler and get the sound you want. what you may want to do is do some shorty headers and a cold air intake. i have a cai, stock manifolds, stock cats, stock h-pipe, and frpp gtb mufflers on my car. its quite when your cruzin untill you get in the gas. these car like back pressure. if you take too much away they dont get off the line as quick. i learned that the hard way

2008 mustang gt, vista blue, c.a.i, muffler delets, hid's, and the eleanor grill.

I dont go fast, I go faster....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thans for the info, I'm not a power hungry guy but there is this guy around town with a charger srt8 and he tells me this and that about his car, we have never lined up, but I think it's unavoidable. When we do I want there to be nooo question, Do you think a quality CAI, tune, And axel backs( just for the bite) might do the trick, what king of gains will i get for these mods. Will a "custom tune" be nessesary or will an out of the box sct or diablo do the trick? and again thank you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009
PONY Member

if you get a cai with a tuner you'll be good. i would get a sct x3 tuner. jlt makes a good cai. the charger srt8's arent that fast there heavy. i took one at the track. and all i have is a cai. he had a cai w/tune.

2008 mustang gt, vista blue, c.a.i, muffler delets, hid's, and the eleanor grill.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009
PONY Member

oh yeah i almost forgot get a set of axle backs that have good deep growl for when yall are at the light or where ever yall right. get in his head and that half the race.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009
S197 Member

You may also want to consider getting new set of rear gears, that may be the best bang for your buck if you want to go faster. That and a cai/tune will make for a fast car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page