2006 Mustang GT, Bullit brake pads? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 Mustang GT, Bullit brake pads?

Hi guys

I am about to replace my rotors & pads on my 2006 Mustang GT.
Since the stock pads were not able to handle Autobahn speeds, and the Hawk brake pads gave me lots of rotor wear and brake squealing I wonder if the 2008 Bullit brake pads can be used as a direct replacement in the stock 2006 Mustang GT.
Going with a Brembo big brake kit is not an option because of need of changing wheels.

I know that the calipers and the mounting brackets have a diffrent part number - Bullit vs. 2006 GT. How ever I am not sure if that is only because of the paint on the Bullit's calliper.

Has anybody ever (tried) to install Bullit brake pads on a Mustang GT?

Thanks

2006 Ford Mustang GT (daily driver)
other cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Only difference is that the Bullitt calipers & brackets are powder coated the dark gray. Use the Bullitt pads if you can get 'em for a good price. I think they're great street pads.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Somebody posted that the Bullitt pads are 'Performance Friction Carbon Metallic' pads. Can anybody confirm this?

2006 RedFire GT Coupe, Premium, Dark Charcoal Leather, Shaker 500, 5-Sp Manual, Active Anti-Theft, IUP, 18" Polished Bullitts, Side Airbags.
Mods: WebElectric Sequentials, OEM Sirius Satellite Radio, OEM Plenum Cover, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, G-TECH PRO RR, C&L Racer CAI / X3 / Brenspeed 91 Tune, Ford Racing 'Bullitt' Strut Brace, Hurst Billet Shifter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoStang View Post
Somebody posted that the Bullitt pads are 'Performance Friction Carbon Metallic' pads. Can anybody confirm this?
Seams to be right to me. I've also heared that they are carbon metallic which means more dust than the stock ceramic pads, but hopefully less than the Hawk HPS.

Anybody else ever tried Bullit pads?

other cars
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

OK guys

I just ordered brand new stock rotors and the bullit brake pads.
I'll keep you updated on how well they perform.

other cars
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hi guys

OK, here it is:
I installed the new (stock) rotors and the bullit brake pads and drove them for about 3K miles.
What I have tested so far:
- Stock (OEM Ford) pads did not have enough stopping power when hot, they overheated and therefore glazed the rotors.
- Hawk HPS had enough stopping power even when very hot, but the trade off was lots of dust, brake squealing and rotor wear.
- The ATE Premium One were as bad up front as the stock ones,but created even more brake dust in the rear.

Now the Bullit Pads:
What a difference from everything I installed before:
- No noise at all
- Smooth brake fealing (no rubbing)
- Regarding performance level almost as good as the Hawk HPS
- Only create little more dust than the Stock (OEM Ford) pads
- Positive thermal friction coefficient (they bite even better when they are warm or hot)

That's the Rotor/Brake Pad combo I can highly recomend to everyone who is looking for a decent street brake upgrade and who is not willing to install a big brake kit.

Hope this helps!

other cars
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer76 View Post
Hi guys

OK, here it is:
I installed the new (stock) rotors and the bullit brake pads and drove them for about 3K miles.
What I have tested so far:
- Stock (OEM Ford) pads did not have enough stopping power when hot, they overheated and therefore glazed the rotors.
- Hawk HPS had enough stopping power even when very hot, but the trade off was lots of dust, brake squealing and rotor wear.
- The ATE Premium One were as bad up front as the stock ones,but created even more brake dust in the rear.

Now the Bullit Pads:
What a difference from everything I installed before:
- No noise at all
- Smooth brake fealing (no rubbing)
- Regarding performance level almost as good as the Hawk HPS
- Only create little more dust than the Stock (OEM Ford) pads
- Positive thermal friction coefficient (they bite even better when they are warm or hot)

That's the Rotor/Brake Pad combo I can highly recomend to everyone who is looking for a decent street brake upgrade and who is not willing to install a big brake kit.

Hope this helps!
THANKS ,good experiment. What was the cost? I would also upgrade the brake lines.

JLT CAI/BAMA tune,moto blue pullies,3:73`s,LPW girdle;Powerhouse DS,CHE safety loop,CHE LCA`S & Adjustable UCA,Kooks LT`S & O/R X Pipe,prothane MM`s,Steeda CMDP`S,Eibach springs,Tokico D specs,Polished TB(by Me),Steeda radiator support,Zex kit 100 shot. Taylor Relocation battery kit and cut off switch,PTC converter,Bogarts and Hosier QTP`S.
11:903 ET, 1.67 60`,111.897 MPH
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Thanks for posting on these pads. I have been wanting to see a review on these. You sold me, I'm going with these before my next road course event.

If they play, I spray.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

For me it really doesn't matter where the parts are from because they need to be shipped to Switzerland anyway.
I got them from "Titus Will" Ford. "Ford Parts" from TitusWillFordParts.com|The former FORDPARTS.COM Site to get your "Ford Parts" & "Ford Accessories" anywhere!
They do a lot of internet sales with OEM parts, offer good prices and great service.

What I payed for? I don't really remember anymore. I think the Bullit pads were a little more expensive than the stock ones. (may be +30% ??..)

hope this helps

other cars
Rookie
S197 Member

Any shot you have a part number for the bullitt/pfc break pads both front and rear? Did you only do the fronts?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I didn't want to do a half a$$ job and changed both, front and rear.

No, sorry man. I threw the boxes away and don't have the PN anymore.

Just do what I have done:
Call your Ford dealership, get somebody from the parts department on the phone and tell that person that you need a set of bullit brake pads. They will do the rest.

other cars
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer76 View Post
I didn't want to do a half a$$ job and changed both, front and rear.

No, sorry man. I threw the boxes away and don't have the PN anymore.

Just do what I have done:
Call your Ford dealership, get somebody from the parts department on the phone and tell that person that you need a set of bullit brake pads. They will do the rest.
I called the dealership about getting these pads and he couldn't find it by just telling him I wanted bullit brake pads. I had to give him the caliper part number for the buillit. It's 8R3Z2B120A.

Note the front PF pads alone are $200. A rip off in my opinion. I went with Carbotech pads instead. Also stay away from EBC pads.

If they play, I spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page