Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2008 Mustang GT strange popping nosie while turning.

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jakeGT08 
#1 ·
I recently noticed an odd popping noise occurring while i am turning at low speeds. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago in a drive thru at my bank. it only happens when i am going under 10 mph. it sounds to me like it is coming from the front suspension. almost like a door creaking as it opens. The car has been lowered. not sure if that matters. has anyone else experienced anything like this? any help is greatly appriciated.

#3 ·
:bigthumbsupI would say while under the vehicle check the bushings on the front of the car, tie rod ends and ball joints, you might be out of rubber or grease with the lowered alteration. Also check power steering fluid level, just incase, sometimes this can be the culperate. With the hood up and the car on have someone turn the steering wheel to see if you can hear it then, if so this may be a powersteering pump going bad. Just a few weak spots to troubleshoot then let us know if you found the problem or still need help. Good Luck

#4 ·
I'll bet you $50 it's one of your strut mount, because I'm having the EXACT same issue. When they go bad, they pop, and the lowered cars are even more prone. The stock strut mount can't handle lowering, because they're plastic and rubber bushings (so I've read). Aftermarket upgrades are steel bearings.

~HA

#5 ·
Sounds like the TSB for replacing the upper strut mount and spring isolator. If your still under warranty a dealer should do it for free. Or an extended warranty you will have to pay your deductible. My car had this problem.
Good Luck!

#8 ·
Good Luck with that. Since the vehicle has been lowered, therefore changing the suspension geometry the dealer can refuse the warranty repairs on that part. TSB or not.
I would just buy a set of good aftermarket strut mounts OR buy the GT500 strut mounts P/N 7R3Z18183A.
I had the TSB for the front susp. struts done on mine, lowered it 3 months later and the poping noise was there anytime I turned the steering wheel. I put a set of the GT500 mounts on and it fixed it no problem.

#10 ·
well i went to the dealership and they said it was faulty strut mounts. also said they were not responsible cause it was a result of the mod. guess i am fixing this one myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.