2005 Mustang Windshield Wipers inoperative - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member

2005 Mustang Windshield Wipers inoperative

Wipers would not work at all for several days, then suddenly worked fine again. Possibly I disconnected and reconnected battery before they finally worked again. Do they get a siganl from the computer? Has anyone had inop. wipers on a similar year car and found a solution?
Also, while searching for a solution to inop. wipers I disconnected various harnesses at computer and inside (of car) fuse box. After that, headlamps stayed on with headlamp switch in off position...strange occurance...which was solved when I disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
By chance have you had any issues with water leaking on the passenger side of the car?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member

2005 mustang windshield wipers inoperative

Yes I have had a water leak on the right side of the car...cause not yet determined...exact location of water leak not yet determined. Currently carpet is removed due to mildew smell in car. Have seen TSB related to diagnosing water leak, but not yet performed any test to see where water leak is coming from.
Had this and another 05 Mustang at the same time. Both cars developed mildew smell this spring after not any problem with water leak in the past. Both cars were at same location during a microburst of weather...winds in range of 70-100 mph. Believe that pressure or vacuum of microburst may have caused w/s seals to blow out on both cars.
After removal of carpets I was disconnecting wiring harnesses from computer in right kick panel area to look for corosion. After that, headlamps stayed on with headlamp switch in off position...until I reset computer by disconnecting and reconnecting battery. Also I may have (not sure) disconnected and reconnected battery before w/s wipers would work again. Are these items now controlled by the computer? If so, very weird thing about modern cars...scares me to think about it.
Wonder also where techs have m o s t o f t e n found water leaks to be in these cars. Is poor welds common or lack of sealing as in grommets or weather stripping more common?

I like this car very much but not in love with it due to many problems and lack of desire on part of the dealer to fix things under previous warranty condition. Had to beg them, go back several times, tried four dealers before even TSB items (I showed them) were fixed. Ford dealers have a long way to go with customer service before they catch up to the Japanese and German car dealers.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I would suggest that you've got a damaged Smart Junction Box as a result of the water leak.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member

2005 mustang winshield wipers inoperative

o.k. so what is a smart junction box, exactly where is it located and where are the tests to see if it is bad, just got waterlogged and dried out fine, etc. ?
you have previously sent me to a technical illustration for another problem (related to hvac controls) which was very helpful.

Thanks, Richard.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member

2005 Mustang Windshield Wipers inoperative

Here is what I found : Water leaks were found after reading TSB 07-14-6 "Water Leak-Front Floor Area". I found poorly sealed A-pillar window weather stripping retainer (plastic piece- black)- which holds rubber window weather strip. My car had been in a microburst of weather (winds about 100 mph). About a month later I discovered mildew smell in car and water beneath carpet in right front floor area. Later found rr and lr floor areas wet beneath carpet. Removed carpet, then diagnosed leak a month or two later. Pressurized cabin per TSB and discovered that molding tape above window weather strip retainer was all crooked due to winds and either suction or pressure of winds. When water gets between plastic retainer and body of car, it leaks inside of weather strip, runs down inside of weatherstrip along body welded seam and enters car between carpet and floor, soaking the recycled padding beneath carpet. After much effort of removing many interior parts, I removed window weather strip and retainer on both sides of car. Used 3-M adhesive remover, then replaced foam which I removed from retainer with 3-M super strength molding tape 7/8 inch x 60...three packages of same. This material is not quite as thick as original tape but seems to work.

Did have Smart Junction Box out of car twice to look for leaks into box. None found, but car acted weird when box removed and replaced. Eg. headlamps on with switch off. Also once turn siganls inop, hazards inop, dash computer said no fuel in car and low oil pressure. Service manual says to upload info from SJB and then download info into a new SJB. Not necessary in my car (with no tire pressure monitors) as SJB finally reset itself. One time headlamps were on even after battery disconnected overnight. Still don't understand operation of SJB and exactly how to reset it (or car's main computer??) but eventually everything works fine now.

W/S wipers were also inop. Thought that was due to SJB, but after much trial and error, testing connections, wiring, wiper motor, I finally discovered the problem: My car had been parked under trees which dropped leaves, seeds, pollen. The drain for the cowl area on the driver's side was partially plugged, which may have caused water to soak the wiper motor and motor electronic circuit board. I removed the cowl cover, wiper arms, wiper motor. I removed the circuit board (which has 12 pins to wiring harness). The board has actually only three pins to the motor. I tighened the female side of the pins between the circuit board and motor. The wipers, which had quit altogether twice in the past three months are now working fine. Incidentally, when they did not work at all, the washers did work.

Weeks of part-time diagnosing these two problems and solving them. Thanks to your help and that TSB, I am back in business. There is always something to fix on this car (2005 GT manual) and I had zero problems with my 2005 V-6 auto...but sold that car in May as I prefer stick shift. The other car also had the water leak problem due to the microburst of weather. I sold it to a Ford dealer and they had to figure out the leak for themselves.

Thanks Again, Richard.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Help

Now it's about a year later. I am still having problems with the windshield wipers quitting completely at times. Then, they'll work again hours or a day later. I have finally fixed all the water leaks in the car as of a year ago. Never did find any water in the SJB. Still a mystery as to wiper problems. Could it be that electronic box attached to the wiper motor...decides to work sometimes, other times not. Note: washers always work, yet no wiper action to go with washer fluid. When the wipers are inop, they are inop in all modes.
We used to call it ****ing magic when I was a tech. Sometimes no explanation why something works part time, seems to fix itself, then stops working again.
I have not heard of anyone else with these problems. My wiper motor, when tested by itself (three only contacts it has) always works, yet with the electronic box connected, all wiring and fuses connected it works when it feels like it. Sometimes works for many months, then quits again.
A real mystery, I'd like help with.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Update 4-21-2012

Well I talked with a shop foreman at a Ford Dealership last week. He told me that he's familiar with the problem. He said moisture gets into the Smart Junction Box.
On my way home from talking to him, it dawned on me that maybe turning the car's heater on full blast might dry out the SJB. At that moment the wipers were not working. I turned on the heater, then drove to a Supermarket parking lot, where I would have easy access to opening the passenger door.
I parked the car with the engine running, wipers turned on but not working, heater on (floor position) full heat, full fan speed.
I opened the passenger door, then removed the door sill plate, then removed the passenger side kick panel...to expose more heat to the SJB. Within about two minutes the wipers began to work.
Now I will leave the kick panel off the car...(the carpet has already been out completely for a year now...due to previous water leaks). I'll see how it goes ???

Later that evening, I disconnected the car's battery, removed the SJB from the car and took the SJB indoors. I removed the black covers for the printed circuit board, exposing the SJB completely. I studied all the connectors spots on the printed circuit board. Note: there are places on the SJB for 6 connectors in it's rear and 2 connector's in it's front.
I could find NO visual evidence of any latent moisture, or any evidence of there ever having been corrosion on any of the hundreds of pins on the SJB.s printed circuit board.

Bottom line: Not sure if the problem in my car is fixed permanently yet or not. If I still have a problem with w/s wipers in the future, with heater on, I will next check wire ends (female connectors) of harness which goes to the SJB...for those circuits related to the wipers.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012
Rookie

Exclamation Wiper freak-out w/ water build up too

I'm having a very similar (if not identical) problem to yours. I have not had any standing water in my car, and none at all on my passenger side, but over the last year I have noticed water dripping on my feet occasionally when making right turns. I thought this was utter insanity!!! I've never owned a car with a design flaw such as this... ANYHOW... So this whole thing started with this occasional water on my feet. Then my wipers started intermittently wiping on their own without being turned on from inside the cabin. I could not get them to turn off. They would keep going and turn off and on of their own accord. This carried on for some time. However for the last 4 months Iíve had a break Ė theyíve been fine (and Iíve been driving a lot less). Well we recently have had record breaking rainfall in Tampa, and now suddenly the wipers don't work in any position accept high-speed. The washer fluid spray doesn't work either. So now Iíve finally started researching this issue and have now found out that the water and wipers are related!!! Hoorah!

I've just come in from checking my car and found that both drain grommets on either side of the car were plugged with leaves. When I cleared the passenger side not much happened except I got my hands dirty. When I cleared the driver's side, about 1/2 a gallon of water came pouring out! Now we had a strong downpour this morning for about 6 hours so Iím sure this allowed the water to build up.

Prior to clearing the grommets I checked the passenger side carpet and driver's side carpet up to the firewall and the sides and underneath to the padding. There was no wetness. So Iím fairly certain I don't and haven't had significant water inside the car in the past. I'm guessing that this standing water has simply been soaking the wiper motor and circuitry to the point of failure.

After checking the carpets and before clearing the grommets I pulled up the cowl on the passenger side to check for water. There was none leaking into it on that side. I did a visual inspection through the vents on the driver side and it was clear that there is water leaking through the cowl near the middle of the window into the cowl channel. So I am going to have to take this apart and re-seal this piece. It appears to be a fairly labor-intensive and costly job. But I may have to pull it apart anyhow to replace my wiper motor.

My question for you is, have your wipers been working since your heater/dry-out SJB event or have you had to replace your wiper motor?

Also, I am a little fuzzy as to the water channeling/flow and the relationship to the drain grommets that I cleared in my engine bay. Are those grommets designed as a worst-case scenario to allow water that has leaked into that cowl channel out into the engine bay instead of the cabin? Or is that the normal drain point for water coming down off the windshield???

Until now I had no idea I needed to clear any kind of grommets and keep them clear to prevent this insanity from occurring. This is my first and probably last FORD.... I have been very disappointed with the engineering overall.

Thanks for any and all help!!!!!!!! This forum has been a life saver thus far!!!!

2007 Mustang GT. Torch Red. Bone Stock (At the moment )
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Update 12-25-2012

Well I keep learning and learning.
After three years of w/s wipers working on and off, I finally gave up and replaced the wiper motor with a used one from a junkyard.

Yes my cowl drains had been plugged up by debris from trees and leaves about three years ago. Cleaning the cowl area seemed to help for some time....yet wipers inop reappeared again over time...several times. Wipers would work for up to 9 months, then quit again...even though cowl area not flooded.

I finally decided that water had gotten into the electronic box which is attached to the wiper motor...maybe corroding the circuitry.
Tested wiper motor itself and motor o.k. but would not work when connected to it's electronic box.
The electronic circuit is not available as a part separate from the motor. New motor about $180. Rebuilt motor about $80. I found a used motor on E-bay for $37. Once that used motor installed...all is well now.
Note: All my previous ideas about SJB box having gotten wet, etc., were wrong. I just needed to replace the electronic circuit board attached to the motor... and as I've previously said...that part is not available separately.

p.s. And it took me two years to figure out all of the water leaks into the interior of my car. That finally solved also.

I used to be an auto tech. Sometimes solutions to particular problems do not come easily or quickly. Remember this when you take your car for repair and they don't fix it correctly the lst time.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Pictures

Attached pics of electronic circuit board which is attached to wiper motor.

And I'll restate here: Even though the wiper motor is not bad, you can't buy just the motor. So you have to buy the motor/electronic circuit board combo to get the circuit board...which is the part you really need....thanks Ford.

Note: to find part (entire motor and circuit board) used online...enter the large long number which appears on circuit board label.

In this case: 2L2F-17D539-AD

My car is : 2005 Mustang GT coupe (most likely other s197 body years may be the same)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8875 2.jpg
Views:	1939
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	168568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8874 2.jpg
Views:	2217
Size:	651.9 KB
ID:	168569  

Last edited by s197gt; 12-25-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Add Content
Rookie

Hi, I'm having a similar issue with my 2005 mustang gt, I had a water leak, but I solve the problem, I didn't have any issues for a time, but now my wipers and the A/C blower are not working. I check all the fuses and relays and everything seems to be ok, . I tryed to make a jumper from a B+ to the fuse that controls the wipers and blower and everything worked fine, but I had another problem, my radio wasn't turning off when opening the door, so a couple of times I forgot to turning off the radio and I went out of battery, so what I did was to take out that jumper, and in order to get back my wipers and a/c blower working without affecting the radio, in the fuse box that is in the engine, I make a jumper from the out pin of the fuel pump relay (since it only activates when the key is in the on position) to the relay that activates the a/c and wipers. Now everything works as it should but I want to keep thing original. Now what I want to know is if the SJB is damaged, I took it out and cleaned it but the problem wasn't solved, so I still have the jumper thing working fine. Thanks
PONY Member
S197 Member

Dont forget to check the connector at the windshield wiper motor in the cowl.. If the drains were plugged its possible that water or moisture got into the connector and there is corrosion. Some di-electric grease will help that. My water leak was from the main plug from the door wiring harness thru the body. Some sealant when I put it back together fixed it...

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page