2008 Mustang GT Kooks Headers Installed! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up 2008 Mustang GT Kooks Headers Installed!

Thanks a ton for all the help guys! The headers are installed along with the Kooks H pipe with high flow cats. I think the thing I wished I knew the most beforehand was to re-install the passenger side motor mount (I did the passenger side first), but then don't put the nut on on the top side. Once I figured that out and I could jack the motor up just a little bit higher, the drivers side header went right in. That and I read on a different thread about a guy who put the H pipe on upside down, so I was going to make sure I didn't, but, it seems like the way it is bent that you want the curving of the pipes to go up towards the back, that is not it I found out after getting the car down off the jack stands! The way it is angled you want it the other way around and the pipes just ride higher. So I got to go in and take it back off and switch it around. Man, my mufflers are still really low though. The other thing I realized after taking it for a drive is you have to really watch how your tail pipes are lined up afterwards, cause the passenger side tailpipe was rattling against something, so back up on the jackstands it went and I had my wife hold the tailpipes in place while I re-tightened them. The sound is awesome with the Magnaflow Magnapacks and I can feel the added power!

Again, thanks a LOT guys!!

2008 Mustang GT, Vortech V3, BBK TB, Kooks LT Headers & Catted H, Magnaflows, Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009
Snackmaster

You didn't snap any pics while you were under there did you?

I'm glad you got them installed with relatively few problems.

I bet they sound mean as h*ll.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Dzins - congrats. I've got a set (w/ the X pipe) on order from Tillman - but Kooks has not yet shipped them. If you can - how about a video?

What made you get the H over the X?

2006 Mustang GT - premium, 5spd, charcoal leather/dash, IUP, Shaker 500, spoiler delete

484 rwhp / 446 tq - Mods: Whipple HO, Custom tune by Tillman Speed, SOS pod w/Cobalt gauges, Kooks LT's w/catted X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth, FRPP Handling Pack, Hurst Shifter (chrome w/black ball), Zinik Z9 Sabini Black Lip 20", BFGoodrich 255/35/20 KDW 2, Eleanor front grille, Cervinis 2.5 cowl hood, clear corner/rear side marker lenses w/stealth bulbs, sequential tail lights.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I followed the instructions from https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...s-install.html

That has many great pics!

From what I gathered, the H pipe sounds a lot better and the X pipe flows a little better, but not enough to make much if any difference (I don't know that, that's just what I have gathered from other posts and talking to people). The sales guy I talked to at brenspeed said they recommend putting on an H pipe, so I just followed his advice.

I had them high temp coated 2000 degree black satin finish from a local place.

2008 Mustang GT, Vortech V3, BBK TB, Kooks LT Headers & Catted H, Magnaflows, Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009
PONY Member

I have a set of Kooks headers and catted x pipe on order which should ship on Friday. Why did you go with the 2000 Deg Black satin finish instead of the chrome and how much did it cost. Pictures would be nice.

2007 Shelby GT black with silver stripes, 4.10 rear end, kooks LT headers and catted x-pipe,SSS terminator mufflers, LCA, adj UCA,adj panhard bar, 18" cobra r chrome rims, Baer Decelerotors front and rear with chrome braided brake lines.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump View Post
I have a set of Kooks headers and catted x pipe on order which should ship on Friday. Why did you go with the 2000 Deg Black satin finish instead of the chrome and how much did it cost. Pictures would be nice.
I had them coated at New Image Coatings - 651-784-7055 and the black satin was 2000 and ceramic was 1600, he said if I was going to do nitrous or a sc the 2000 would be better. And it cost $200.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.JPG
Views:	576
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	76839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0955.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	791.5 KB
ID:	76840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.JPG
Views:	2036
Size:	733.3 KB
ID:	76841  

Last edited by dzins; 08-20-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Add the cost.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin View Post
Dzins - congrats. I've got a set (w/ the X pipe) on order from Tillman - but Kooks has not yet shipped them. If you can - how about a video?

What made you get the H over the X?
I'll see if I can get a vid tomorrow.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzins View Post
I'll see if I can get a vid tomorrow.
I had Kooks send mine to Jet Hot for coating before they set them to me which was a extra $265 but well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-03_20[1].53.09-1.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	78221  

--Dan--
SOLD>> 07 GT 5 speed,20x9 Razors,FRPP springs,Kook stainless LTs and catted H package,Mac Boomtubes,C & L cai w/sctx3 and 93 race tune from BAMA,FRPP 4.10's

The New>> 2011 5.0 6spd,black on black premium ,3.73 option, Roush axelbacks,C&L cai,SCT SF3 w/93 race tune from Bama.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I have the same setup and my exhaust rattles too. If u figure out what it is then please tell me cuz ive had mine for about 8 months and mine has rattles since the day i put them on. I also noticed to that it did change the angle of the factory exhaust and it hangs down really low to the ground. And here is a video of mine with the same setup its frikin' awesome. YouTube - 05 Mustang Gt Kooks Headers Magnaflow Magnapacks

05 Mustang GT - Performance Mods - Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Diablosport Tuner, Eibach Multi-pro R-2 coilovers , Max. Motors. camber plates and bumpsteer
Appearance Mods - 20" Shelby Razor wheels (Gunmetal with polished lip), flat black fender stripes
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1EATINPONY View Post
I have the same setup and my exhaust rattles too. If u figure out what it is then please tell me cuz ive had mine for about 8 months and mine has rattles since the day i put them on. I also noticed to that it did change the angle of the factory exhaust and it hangs down really low to the ground. And here is a video of mine with the same setup its frikin' awesome. YouTube - 05 Mustang Gt Kooks Headers Magnaflow Magnapacks
It was just how the pipes were laying over the rear axle. They were too close to the side in there. I went back under the car, loosened it all up again and held the pipes up and in and had my wife hold the tailpipes up and in (when I disconnected mine, they layed down and rotated a bit outward) while I re-tightened everything. Now they line up about perfectly (better than they did before) and no rattles at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2008 mustang gt , kooks headers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page