Dead battery again! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05roush View Post
Well long story short I have never figured out why my car drains the battery but it does, always has, took it to ford numerous times the first year I had it but they could never figure it out. I have tried a few different batteries but have now decided to go with a red top optima and a battery maintainer that I will hook up periodically. What did you guys do that have had the same problem?
I have 3 battery tenders from BatteryMart.com.
1 for each mustang, electrial and one Imob solar one for my pickup truck, just in case i get stuck somewhere. It can also be used for other 12v batteries such as the garden tracker, snowmobils etc.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

I went and got some distilled water, filled the battery up some, but not to the top and its kept a charge ever since. It used to drain slow and i could tell because id get this low tone from the back end of the car. wierd.
When i shut off the car, i turn off the radio first and i dont put on the parking brake. All controls are set to off.

05 GT Premium, Blood Red Metallic, Shaker 500, IUP, My Color.....
70 GTO Conv. Red, Black interior, 400, Auto, Air, PS, PB
Rookie

Exclamation

Dead battery from day one. I am on the 4th battery in 2 years. No problem during cold months, even to -14, however it goes dead in 2 weeks in the summer. The Ford dealer claims I just don't drive it enough but not true and in fact before the weekends I drive it for an hour on the hiway just as fast as possible. I also shift it manually (its an automatic) to keep the RPM over 1500 so it could charge. I bought a jump start set up and keep it in the trunk so it at least doesn't stand me but it is a new car and I don't think I should have to go through this. By the way, I did put a tricle charger on it and still dead battery!

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH08 View Post
Shaker shouldn't be the problem or cause of the dead battery unless you don't run the car for several months. All stereo's use some constant battery power to keep the memory of your clock and settings, but shouldn't cause a heavy drain to kill a battery.

Since you've replaced your battery several times i'd check your alternator. It might not be throwing out a good of a charge to keep your battery alive. I know AM sells alternators if you want something throwing more amps. I don't know how powerful our stock ones are and if they are really an increase or not.

Also give Roush a call and see if anyone else has had battery issues.
I wouldn't be so quick as to assume that. My shaker 500 drained my battery even if i turned it off before i got out of the car. Replaced the battery, same problem. Swapped the radio out for an avic f700bt and now my battery is always strong.

First car, 2006 Mustang GT (See avatar) Bought on January 17, 2009
Mods: SCT Tuner, SLP Loudmouths, JLT CAI, Steeda sport lowering springs, BMR adjustable lower A arms, Roush hood scoop.
Apprentice

Have you recently drove through a bunch of water, big puddles, lots of constant rain, park where a sprinkler system hits your car all the time, etc...?

2008 Vista Blue GT
Apprentice
S197 Member

Red top doesnt help btw. Changed not too long ago and every night its dead. I dont drive it enough for sure while only putting 500 miles on it in the last 4 months. Ive taken it to ford and they keot saying nothings wrong. I have a battery charger and charge it frequently. Im to the point of giving to the dealership and letting them see for themselves. Dont give it back till it starts everyday for 2 weeks.

2008 Torch Red GT
Show: Trufiber GTS-2 Hood, Shelby GT Rear and Front Bumper, Shelby Hood Pins, Black Billet Grille, Cervinis Upper & Lower Scoops. Ford Racing Wheels 18x9 Front 18x10 Rear. Nitto Tires
Go: Steeda CAI + SCT Tuner Combo, JBA Long Tubes, JBA Off/Raod H, JBA Mufflers, Hurst Short Throw
Rookie

its the radio

My 07 Mustang GT with the standard radio keeps draining the battery. I was blown off by the service writer first time around and was told I don't drive it enough. Then was told it was the battery. Well 4 batteries later I am now being told it is the radio that is drawing it down. They have ordered me a new one. I hope this fixes it.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well I have 2009 GT And the auto lights just pop on when they fell like it for 2 to 10 seconds this may cause a Battery Problem.

2009 GT Axleback Flowmasters Classic, C&L CAI Race, with SCT 93 Street Race tune by Tillman, Steeda LCA, Ultralite Springs, Steeda adj Panrod, And Tokico D Spec Adj Shocks.
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

My mustang does the same thing. In my case, the 6 disc CD changer is spinning from chamber to chamber, loading and unloading cd's all night. I thought I had fixed it by taking all the cd's out but yesterday morning when I got in it, I could hear the motor to the changer running....barely. The battery was so low that it was having a hard time running. Ofcoarse, the car wouldn't start and the battery had to be replaced. I sprayed some contact cleaner in the cd slot and hopefully that has fixed it??
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro1730 View Post
have you ever replaced the alternator? that could be the reason why your battery keeps draining. before you go with the optima I would suggest getting your old battery tested and if it just needs a charge then I would suggest replacing or testing the alternator.
Have a friend with a '05, had the same problem dealer had hard time figuring out the problem, even replaced the shacker 1000, didn't work they finally found that it was the alternator. Hope this helps u

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page