2006 Mustang GT with CAI & tune = no chirp 1-2? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to aiminglow
i dunno wat's goin on lol. all i know is the car's respondin how it should be now. i know it'll be a different story once i get a custon tune, but it's pullin like a freight train now

2006 Mustang GT: 5-speed (was auto)
Show: Hood scoop // Side Scoops // Louvers // GT500 Spoiler // Rear diffuser insert // Stripes // Mustang trunk letters // Interior goodies.
Go: JLT intake // J&M LCA's // J&M UCA // Strut tower brace // FRPP Front Lower Control Arm Brace // Pro 5.0 Shifter with MGW blue striped shift ball.
Flow: Flowmaster American Thunders.
Stereo: Pioneer DEH 2200ub.
Oh and of course, the lead foot mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I don't have an auto, but just thinking this thing through, shifting at closer to max torque would chirp more????

Site Sponsor

It's the canned tune. I guarantee an email tune will wake that thing up... night and day difference.

Are you manually shifting or just putting it in D?

Either way... I've got guys with autos who can roast the tires let alone chirp. Give me a call, you'll love the auto tune!!

We just had a bone stock auto trans with an Edelbrock E-Force go 11.65 with our stage 1 system. So we know the calibrating!

Tillman Speed Inc.
Custom Tuning | In-House Dynojet 224xLC
3344 Market Street • Suite C • Aston, PA 19014
Sales: (610)497-5776 or 497-3736
Out-of-State Sales: (610)497-3711
Service / Dyno: (610)497-9683
PREMIER DEALER: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Systems - Kooks Custom Headers - Magnaflow Exhaust Systems - MORE!

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

i'm leavin it in D.

wat i did was tested rpm shifts 5800-6300. 5800 was the strongest, got them to finally chirp, 6300 felt sluggish. i saw a few dyno's of stangs that have the same mods as me, and the graphs have shown the same results with a canned tune: peak HP has been at 5800 and up, peak torque at 4200-4400. seein that goin into the next gear the car generally shifts down about 1500 rpm, 5800 seemed the most logical to get to peak torque, and it's workin like a charm.

still won't replace a custom tune tho, i just wanted wat everyone was gettin in the mean time tho

Show: Hood scoop // Side Scoops // Louvers // GT500 Spoiler // Rear diffuser insert // Stripes // Mustang trunk letters // Interior goodies.
Go: JLT intake // J&M LCA's // J&M UCA // Strut tower brace // FRPP Front Lower Control Arm Brace // Pro 5.0 Shifter with MGW blue striped shift ball.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbrett View Post
I don't have an auto, but just thinking this thing through, shifting at closer to max torque would chirp more????
everythin i've seen says that's correct. so far my experience with this car backs that up. since torque is ur actual acceleration, if u shift at max torque, butt loads of acceleration r at the tires, causin them to break loose.

Rookie

tillman speed will chirp indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!! first to second second to third
Apprentice

I don't have an auto, but just thinking this through, sounds like shifting closer to max torque would chirp more???
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germankiller View Post
firmer shifts will do it
Not if you are shifting when you are not on the step (so to speak) of the torque curve. If the correct amount of torque is not available to overcome the resistance of tire traction, drive-line inertia, et al then the engine will only bog down and what torque there is will be trying to twist your drive-line into a pretzel.

Snake 42
2006 Mustang GT Premium, convertible, automatic, tungsten grey/blk top, 18" chrome Bullit wheels, C&L cai, BBK tuned shorty headers, UPR off road X-pipe, OEM mufflers, 3.73 FRPP gears and Diablosport Predator C&L Racer 93 octane tune.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiminglow View Post
tcs and od r definitely off. turnin tcs off is a ritual for me lol.

it could be the tires, not sure. it's in D, manually shifting in the auto is just pointless anyways. i'll try the shift at 6k, like i said about 6200, it just didn't seem to get much power after shiftin at that point.

the power definitely feels like it was there, i was just disappointed to not hear any birds back there
What is your rev limiter set at? It's just possible that shifting at 6200 you are on the threshold of the rev limiter and that is the reason your power seemed down after shifting.
I have my rev limiter set at 6500 and my tranny it set to shift at 6000 with the C&L cai and the Predator C&L 93 octane racer tune. I have played with the shift points and rev limits and this combination seems to work best for me.

Snake 42
2006 Mustang GT Premium, convertible, automatic, tungsten grey/blk top, 18" chrome Bullit wheels, C&L cai, BBK tuned shorty headers, UPR off road X-pipe, OEM mufflers, 3.73 FRPP gears and Diablosport Predator C&L Racer 93 octane tune.
Apprentice

How many miles are on the tires? And what elevation are you at?

2008 Vista Blue GT

You definitley need a custom tune from someone who knows what they are doing. I have a bit of mods and cant even get traction till mid 3rd(thanks to the 4:10's and a manual) with street tires, the car ran great. I got some advice from our buddies here on this forum and gave bama chips a call. Total night and day. Its like my car went to sleep and woke up and dropped a big pair. It is especially nice w et streets. So get a good tune and youll get what your looking for.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake 42 View Post
What is your rev limiter set at? It's just possible that shifting at 6200 you are on the threshold of the rev limiter and that is the reason your power seemed down after shifting.
I have my rev limiter set at 6500 and my tranny it set to shift at 6000 with the C&L cai and the Predator C&L 93 octane racer tune. I have played with the shift points and rev limits and this combination seems to work best for me.
the rev limit in drive was set to 6200 wen i tried that. i dont see anythin about the shift point on here, just rev limit for drive and neutral. there are settings to lower or raise how many mph i'm shiftin at in each gear other than that

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

ok, update: i got myself a custom bama tune (93 race) and..... nothing. provided after driving it at first i flashed it back to stock, then reloaded the tune to rule out any stock tune remaining. i chirped once on a road w/ bad traction goin into second.

i'm really at a loss. i mean, it's haulin, but i'm confused as to why i'm the one not gettin a chirp on gear changes. suggestions on changin the shift point in the tune or anything?

PONY Member

I don't think you said what tires you have - softer tires don;t always make a high pitched chir sound; and are you dropped to the ground? if you're really lowered by springs alone that could alter the traction characteristics; and is it shifting hard and fast but you are just literally not hearing the "chirp" sound? or is it actually shifting slowly? If it does not shift quickly enough, or you're not getting really good torque converter lockup, you still may need a better tune. Everybody talks highly of Tillman tunes, and I can vouch for Evolution Performance tunes, so maybe you should try one of them if there is no other answer
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuna42 View Post
I don't think you said what tires you have - softer tires don;t always make a high pitched chir sound; and are you dropped to the ground? if you're really lowered by springs alone that could alter the traction characteristics; and is it shifting hard and fast but you are just literally not hearing the "chirp" sound? or is it actually shifting slowly? If it does not shift quickly enough, or you're not getting really good torque converter lockup, you still may need a better tune. Everybody talks highly of Tillman tunes, and I can vouch for Evolution Performance tunes, so maybe you should try one of them if there is no other answer
i have the stock perreli's. i hear that may be the issue, tho i don't know why sometimes i'd hear the chirp n others i wouldn't.

it's shiftin fast n hard, pullin like a freight train and literally not hearing the chirp sound. i'm not lowered either. i went w/ bama cuz i also heard good things about him, especially his experience w/ auto's. i dunno if it's my tune at this point or not, but either way ppl that have the canned tune and bama tunes say their tires chirp healthily 1-2 and 2-3...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page