manual <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> clunking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter

manual trans clunking

Have an 06 mustang gt, I just noticed that during (most) downshift i can hear a quiet clunking sound when downshifting. Yes I am downshifting at the appropriate RPM. Is there suppose to be a quiet clunking sound during downshift? First manual.. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
Rookie

IMO, the mustang transmission makes some noise/clunks/etc. that's just how they are they are. You will hear a little noise, but if it sounds out of the ordinary of the usual clunks/noises, than you might have a problem. I know this wasn't very helpful at all...but mine makes a 'clunk' sound when I downshift sometimes

Take care,

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter

yea it is a little noise, but..idk if its a good noise or not lol. I'm assuming it is a "good" clunk then lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
PONY Member

I've read that alot of the clunk is actually caused by the 2-piece driveshaft. I haven't had the $$$ to put in a 1-piece yet in mine to confirm this though.

300 stroker @ 11:1 compression, FRPP Stage 2 heads, 127300 cams, 4r70W, Kooks 1 3/4" lt's with 3" H mid-pipe, FRPP stinger mufflers, B&M ratchet shifter, UPR LCA's, JPC race UCA. E-Force TVS. Engine built by Everett's specialty repair, tuned by Manuel @ tudyno.com 9.98 @ 136.55 1.39 60'
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009

yeah i believe it is the 2 piece shaft. Mine was doing the same until I put in a 1 piece aluminum with real man joints. also when i replaced my clutch and fly wheel and put it all back together i guess i forgot to put locktight on the bolt that secures th tranny to the cross member and it eventually shook itself loose and out then it made a whole lot more movement. oops, but now the problem is solved. You should be fine though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
That noise is very normal.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page