Steeda UDP failed.... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_manifestation View Post
I am wondering if they were damaged when they were removed.

Think about it like this. If you have an 'inside hub' then a rubber ring outside that, then an 'outer hub', then a pulley remover that is the claw type could damage it. The center is stuck to the crank, and the puller is pulling out on the outer ring, it is not going to be even. I guess that is why they suggest that Chrysler pulley puller be used on our cars. It grabs from the inside instead of the outside.

Just a thought.
If someone is pulling their crankshaft damper by the ring, then they really need to have someone else work on their car And please don't install it with a hammer. Use an installer tool. These tools have been created for a reason.

Also, don't be cheap. GET A NEW BOLT. Torque to yield is one time use. I recommend the ARP bolt and then you can reuse it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Chrysler pullers and installers work best on these cars.

1965 Mustang Coupe
STU
Rookie

You just had a failure. Rare but happens. I had a stock one blow apart on a road course with my 94 Cobra. Around 40,000 miles I think. Wore a hole through the timing chain cover before I got it stopped.

BOSS Member

Garage
I'll check mine. Again.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

ok, I was attempting to install the new pulley today... I went to rent a 3 jaw puller like I did last-time I installed my pulley, however the steeda pulley is much smaller and a 3 jaw puller doesnt fit.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to take the pulley off. The normal harmonic balancer removal kits dont have bolts that match up to the steeda holes. actually 2 out of the 3 holes are different sizes!?!

Im really confused and need help bad

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
PONY Member

Just another reason I decided NOT to go with UDPs. Not worth the risk for 3-5 HP. :nogrinner

2006 GT Convertible - Screamin' Yellow, Black top & leather
Corsa exhaust
87 octane Brenspeed tune
6000K, 35 W BiXenon HID headlights (Retro-Solutions)
18" Fanblades
5 Speed w/MGW shifter
Nitto 555 G2 tires
MACH I Member
S197 Member

edited: my post was of no benefit. LOL

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpony View Post
Just another reason I decided NOT to go with UDPs. Not worth the risk for 3-5 HP. :nogrinner
I actually picked up around 8 rwhp from the pulleys and had no problems with them at all until this. If you buy them new, which I didnt, they have a lifetime warranty with free replacements. I was unfortunate in having the rare case of a harmonic balancer going bad. Could happen to anyone, but even with this problem, notice I am putting back on a new set of pulleys. They make a nice noticeable differnce!

Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
Brenspeed Supporter!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
Stick with a Stock Crank Pulley or if your want a QUALITY piece go with ATI or Innovators West!

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
PONY Member

Well, I put UPDs on a '97 GT and a 2000 GT. I didn't have any problems, but I didn't notice any benefit either. Just my $.02.

2006 GT Convertible - Screamin' Yellow, Black top & leather
Corsa exhaust
87 octane Brenspeed tune
6000K, 35 W BiXenon HID headlights (Retro-Solutions)
18" Fanblades
5 Speed w/MGW shifter
Nitto 555 G2 tires
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

brought the car to a really good mechanic who is now on my speed dial. A straight forward guy, was a Master Mechanic for 25 years, and is real honest. He works out of his own garage because he hated working for dishonest shops. He only charges you if he can fix it, so free diagnostics if anyone needs one and he cant fix the problem. He charged me $70 bucks and finished the install in 58 minutes! he replaced the water pump pulley with the new one also, just because I got a new one with the kit, so why not...

He said he would work on any performance mods I do in the future, which makes me happy while considering a set of Long Tubes.

Brenspeed Supporter!
Rookie
S197 Member

Steeda Underdrive pulleys

My problem is I had a pro (friend from a Ford Dealership) install my Steeda UDPs. On his way home from the shop the serpentine belt broke (snapped right off). No fraying so it seems it was not an alignment issue. He said the belt might have been too tight (but shouldn't have been since it is spring loaded) or it might have been nicked during the removal/reinstall. He replaced the belt and everything seems fine now. But I am worried now that the car/pulleys/belts are now unreliable. I guess time will tell if it holds...(really bums me out man!)

Any comments or suggestions?

'07 Conv. GT AUTO, BBK CAI w/Predator custom 91 Firm shift tune, magnaflow mufflers
PONY Member

I'd carry an extra belt and the tools to change it, in the trunk so you don't get stuck somewhere. It's not that hard.
BOSS Member

Garage
But I am worried now that the car/pulleys/belts are now unreliable. I guess time will tell if it holds...(really bums me out man!)

Any comments or suggestions?

If that's the way you feel you should trade your Mustang in on a Focus.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Rookie
S197 Member

that's real helpful reaper, good thing you are here to help people out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page