Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Steeda UDP failed.... (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/195557-steeda-udp-failed.html)

GT speeder13 09-17-2009 12:05 PM

Steeda UDP failed....

I got them used from someone here on the forum and they were on my car almost 2 years. The other day I blew a fuse for my headlights, and popped the hood. My car was still running, and I noticed that the Harmonic Balancing pulley was wobbling a decent amount. I dont know when it started, but it didn't look good. I brought it to my friends house so we could all take a look at it.

his dad who is a mechanic and brother who rebuilds engines and just about anything on a car both recommended that I not drive any further with a pulley that wobbled at idle. We tested it at 2500rpms and the pulley balances out at that rpm, but at idle they said could do damage. It is the rubber ring around the center of the pulley that is peeling and flaking away.

I dont know what could have caused it, but I called Steeda 3 times and finally just had to order a whole new set of UDP's. There customer service isnt the best, as the guy was accusing me of not knowing how to install the pulleys and saying I was wrong from not buying them new... Whatever.

Has anyone ever heard of a harmonic balaner pulley going bad from an aftermarket place?

oh and my car is out of commision until sunday! :happyhapp

smokeshow 09-17-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT speeder13 (Post 1714399)
It is the rubber ring around the center of the pulley that is peeling and flaking away.:happyhapp

I don't think that's a rubber ring, if it's the part I'm thinking of. If it's around the inside of the one the goes on the crankshaft, it's the gasket sealant from the last install, which prevents oil from leaking.

I'd say try pulling that pulley off, de-gunking it, and applying new gasket sealant, and reinstalling it. A good install guide is here:

2005 Mustang GT Underdrive Pulley Installation

And, on an unrelated note, when the instructions say "disconnect the battery", they mean it. I didn't do that, and the engine threw a check engine light until I disconnected the battery for half an hour. It hasn't come back since.

Brent05redfire 09-17-2009 05:02 PM

My Steeda UDP failed on me some time back. I didn't find out until the serpentine belt was ejected. leaving me stranded and waiting for a tow truck.

upon inspection, the balancer was backing away from the block. Got the pulley off, and the dampener portion of the pulley was seperating from the hub of the pulley.

I put my stockers back on and called it a day. but, I forgot to take pictures when I told AFM about my experience. I guess I need to do that and maybe we can compare scenarios.

stlwagon 09-17-2009 05:47 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Harmonic balancers can fail so it's not unheard of.

Brent05redfire 09-17-2009 06:15 PM

did you re-use the original crank bolt? I did, and I can't help but wonder if that caused my failure. the Steeda instructions say it is okay to reuse, and I had no problem torquing the original bolt.

stlwagon 09-17-2009 06:17 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent05redfire (Post 1714855)
did you re-use the original crank bolt? I did, and I can't help but wonder if that caused my failure. the Steeda instructions say it is okay to reuse, and I had no problem torquing the original bolt.

If the bolt started backing out that certainly could have contributed to it.

GT speeder13 09-17-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlwagon (Post 1714862)
If the bolt started backing out that certainly could have contributed to it.

I used a new crank bolt from ford, and it was torqued down to spec and we used sealant and blue loc-tight when we originally installed the pulley. funny thing about the pulley is that it is still torqued down and the bolt spins perfect, but the outside of the pulley wobbles, not the center

stlwagon 09-17-2009 06:39 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GT speeder13 (Post 1714884)
I used a new crank bolt from ford, and it was torqued down to spec and we used sealant and blue loc-tight when we originally installed the pulley. funny thing about the pulley is that it is still torqued down and the bolt spins perfect, but the outside of the pulley wobbles, not the center

Sounds to me like you just got a bad pulley!

GT speeder13 09-17-2009 06:52 PM

sounds that way to me too... 3 more days without a car! Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.

I cant wait to be driving my mustang again!!!!:bigthumbsup

stlwagon 09-17-2009 07:16 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GT speeder13 (Post 1714914)
Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.

Too much information! :happyhapp

Brent05redfire 09-17-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.

we are gonna have to revoke your man card until you get your stang back.

Bocephus357 09-17-2009 09:36 PM

That sucks dude. Lucky for me, I just ordered a used set of Steeda UDPs from a guy on another forum. :so You guys think I need to worry?

stlwagon 09-17-2009 09:53 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocephus357 (Post 1715149)
That sucks dude. Lucky for me, I just ordered a used set of Steeda UDPs from a guy on another forum. :so You guys think I need to worry?

Inspect them good before you install them. Check for any cracks in the rubber.

Beagle1 09-17-2009 10:26 PM

Most UDPs are not correctly tuned for Crankshaft torsions IMO. And I built and tested the original 4.6L dampers years ago, they are not one size fits all. Crank dampers have a hard life, especially when you start adding more power.

If the rubber is poor quality or not the proper durometer, there is going to be issues. Removing mass from the ring and still using the same type of rubber will work the rubber harder.

I could go on with what if's for hours. But I know I wouldn't play with any pulley that is not OEM or no proof of testing with torsional data.

A properly tuned damper should go 100,000+ miles without issues.

a_manifestation 09-18-2009 12:35 AM

I am wondering if they were damaged when they were removed.

Think about it like this. If you have an 'inside hub' then a rubber ring outside that, then an 'outer hub', then a pulley remover that is the claw type could damage it. The center is stuck to the crank, and the puller is pulling out on the outer ring, it is not going to be even. I guess that is why they suggest that Chrysler pulley puller be used on our cars. It grabs from the inside instead of the outside.

Just a thought.

Beagle1 09-18-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_manifestation (Post 1715395)
I am wondering if they were damaged when they were removed.

Think about it like this. If you have an 'inside hub' then a rubber ring outside that, then an 'outer hub', then a pulley remover that is the claw type could damage it. The center is stuck to the crank, and the puller is pulling out on the outer ring, it is not going to be even. I guess that is why they suggest that Chrysler pulley puller be used on our cars. It grabs from the inside instead of the outside.

Just a thought.

If someone is pulling their crankshaft damper by the ring, then they really need to have someone else work on their car :nono: And please don't install it with a hammer. Use an installer tool. These tools have been created for a reason.

Also, don't be cheap. GET A NEW BOLT. Torque to yield is one time use. I recommend the ARP bolt and then you can reuse it.

stlwagon 09-18-2009 06:52 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Chrysler pullers and installers work best on these cars.

STU 09-18-2009 08:10 PM

You just had a failure. Rare but happens. I had a stock one blow apart on a road course with my 94 Cobra. Around 40,000 miles I think. Wore a hole through the timing chain cover before I got it stopped.

Thereaper 09-18-2009 11:43 PM

I'll check mine. Again.

GT speeder13 09-20-2009 06:08 PM

ok, I was attempting to install the new pulley today... I went to rent a 3 jaw puller like I did last-time I installed my pulley, however the steeda pulley is much smaller and a 3 jaw puller doesnt fit.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to take the pulley off. The normal harmonic balancer removal kits dont have bolts that match up to the steeda holes. actually 2 out of the 3 holes are different sizes!?!

Im really confused and need help bad

goldenpony 09-20-2009 09:38 PM

Just another reason I decided NOT to go with UDPs. Not worth the risk for 3-5 HP. :nogrinner

Brent05redfire 09-20-2009 09:50 PM

edited: my post was of no benefit. LOL

GT speeder13 09-21-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenpony (Post 1718415)
Just another reason I decided NOT to go with UDPs. Not worth the risk for 3-5 HP. :nogrinner

I actually picked up around 8 rwhp from the pulleys and had no problems with them at all until this. If you buy them new, which I didnt, they have a lifetime warranty with free replacements. I was unfortunate in having the rare case of a harmonic balancer going bad. Could happen to anyone, but even with this problem, notice I am putting back on a new set of pulleys. They make a nice noticeable differnce!

Brutal Metal 09-21-2009 05:05 AM

Stick with a Stock Crank Pulley or if your want a QUALITY piece go with ATI or Innovators West!

goldenpony 09-21-2009 12:50 PM

Well, I put UPDs on a '97 GT and a 2000 GT. I didn't have any problems, but I didn't notice any benefit either. Just my $.02.

GT speeder13 09-21-2009 03:32 PM

brought the car to a really good mechanic who is now on my speed dial. A straight forward guy, was a Master Mechanic for 25 years, and is real honest. He works out of his own garage because he hated working for dishonest shops. He only charges you if he can fix it, so free diagnostics if anyone needs one and he cant fix the problem. He charged me $70 bucks and finished the install in 58 minutes! he replaced the water pump pulley with the new one also, just because I got a new one with the kit, so why not...

He said he would work on any performance mods I do in the future, which makes me happy while considering a set of Long Tubes.:bigthumbsup

klangstone 09-02-2010 12:48 PM

Steeda Underdrive pulleys

My problem is I had a pro (friend from a Ford Dealership) install my Steeda UDPs. On his way home from the shop the serpentine belt broke (snapped right off). No fraying so it seems it was not an alignment issue. He said the belt might have been too tight (but shouldn't have been since it is spring loaded) or it might have been nicked during the removal/reinstall. He replaced the belt and everything seems fine now. But I am worried now that the car/pulleys/belts are now unreliable. I guess time will tell if it holds...(really bums me out man!)

Any comments or suggestions?

'07 Conv. GT AUTO, BBK CAI w/Predator custom 91 Firm shift tune, magnaflow mufflers

Stangstta 09-02-2010 01:02 PM

I'd carry an extra belt and the tools to change it, in the trunk so you don't get stuck somewhere. It's not that hard.

Thereaper 09-02-2010 02:24 PM

But I am worried now that the car/pulleys/belts are now unreliable. I guess time will tell if it holds...(really bums me out man!)

Any comments or suggestions?

If that's the way you feel you should trade your Mustang in on a Focus.

klangstone 09-02-2010 06:16 PM

that's real helpful reaper, good thing you are here to help people out...

Thereaper 09-02-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klangstone (Post 2211789)
that's real helpful reaper, good thing you are here to help people out...

You did say " Any Comments "

redruder 09-03-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

sounds that way to me too... 3 more days without a car! Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.

I cant wait to be driving my mustang again!!!!:bigthumbsup

I don't what is worse the pully biting the dust or driving that concord. And I agree with STL that pullies fail just like everything else. I watched one get ejected from a 10 sec car at the strip. Nothing is unbreakable.