Steeda UDP failed.... - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Exclamation Steeda UDP failed....

I got them used from someone here on the forum and they were on my car almost 2 years. The other day I blew a fuse for my headlights, and popped the hood. My car was still running, and I noticed that the Harmonic Balancing pulley was wobbling a decent amount. I dont know when it started, but it didn't look good. I brought it to my friends house so we could all take a look at it.

his dad who is a mechanic and brother who rebuilds engines and just about anything on a car both recommended that I not drive any further with a pulley that wobbled at idle. We tested it at 2500rpms and the pulley balances out at that rpm, but at idle they said could do damage. It is the rubber ring around the center of the pulley that is peeling and flaking away.

I dont know what could have caused it, but I called Steeda 3 times and finally just had to order a whole new set of UDP's. There customer service isnt the best, as the guy was accusing me of not knowing how to install the pulleys and saying I was wrong from not buying them new... Whatever.

Has anyone ever heard of a harmonic balaner pulley going bad from an aftermarket place?

oh and my car is out of commision until sunday!

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT speeder13 View Post
It is the rubber ring around the center of the pulley that is peeling and flaking away.
I don't think that's a rubber ring, if it's the part I'm thinking of. If it's around the inside of the one the goes on the crankshaft, it's the gasket sealant from the last install, which prevents oil from leaking.

I'd say try pulling that pulley off, de-gunking it, and applying new gasket sealant, and reinstalling it. A good install guide is here:

2005 Mustang GT Underdrive Pulley Installation

And, on an unrelated note, when the instructions say "disconnect the battery", they mean it. I didn't do that, and the engine threw a check engine light until I disconnected the battery for half an hour. It hasn't come back since.

2005 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Cold Air Intake/Diablosport Predator Tune
Tokico D-Spec Shocks & Struts
Steeda Sport Springs/Front and Rear Swaybar/Front Swaybar Brace/LCAs/Adjustable Panhard Bar and Brace
Steeda-branded Borla Stingers
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
1965 "GT" Logo and some other chrome bits
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009
MACH I Member
S197 Member

My Steeda UDP failed on me some time back. I didn't find out until the serpentine belt was ejected. leaving me stranded and waiting for a tow truck.

upon inspection, the balancer was backing away from the block. Got the pulley off, and the dampener portion of the pulley was seperating from the hub of the pulley.

I put my stockers back on and called it a day. but, I forgot to take pictures when I told AFM about my experience. I guess I need to do that and maybe we can compare scenarios.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Harmonic balancers can fail so it's not unheard of.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009
MACH I Member
S197 Member

did you re-use the original crank bolt? I did, and I can't help but wonder if that caused my failure. the Steeda instructions say it is okay to reuse, and I had no problem torquing the original bolt.

2005 Mustang GT M5
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent05redfire View Post
did you re-use the original crank bolt? I did, and I can't help but wonder if that caused my failure. the Steeda instructions say it is okay to reuse, and I had no problem torquing the original bolt.
If the bolt started backing out that certainly could have contributed to it.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
If the bolt started backing out that certainly could have contributed to it.
I used a new crank bolt from ford, and it was torqued down to spec and we used sealant and blue loc-tight when we originally installed the pulley. funny thing about the pulley is that it is still torqued down and the bolt spins perfect, but the outside of the pulley wobbles, not the center

Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
Brenspeed Supporter!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I used a new crank bolt from ford, and it was torqued down to spec and we used sealant and blue loc-tight when we originally installed the pulley. funny thing about the pulley is that it is still torqued down and the bolt spins perfect, but the outside of the pulley wobbles, not the center
Sounds to me like you just got a bad pulley!

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

sounds that way to me too... 3 more days without a car! Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.

I cant wait to be driving my mustang again!!!!

Brenspeed Supporter!
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.
Too much information!

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Im currently driving my girlfriends 01 concorde, its a girlish purple.
we are gonna have to revoke your man card until you get your stang back.

2005 Mustang GT M5
MACH I Member
S197 Member

That sucks dude. Lucky for me, I just ordered a used set of Steeda UDPs from a guy on another forum. You guys think I need to worry?

2008 Grabber Orange GT premium, 5 speed manual, 3.31s
C&L Racer CAI, Kooks LT headers and catted H pipe, MAC Boom Tubes, Diablosport Predator Tuner with AM/Bama Tunes

Heroes Live Forever
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus357 View Post
That sucks dude. Lucky for me, I just ordered a used set of Steeda UDPs from a guy on another forum. You guys think I need to worry?
Inspect them good before you install them. Check for any cracks in the rubber.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Most UDPs are not correctly tuned for Crankshaft torsions IMO. And I built and tested the original 4.6L dampers years ago, they are not one size fits all. Crank dampers have a hard life, especially when you start adding more power.

If the rubber is poor quality or not the proper durometer, there is going to be issues. Removing mass from the ring and still using the same type of rubber will work the rubber harder.

I could go on with what if's for hours. But I know I wouldn't play with any pulley that is not OEM or no proof of testing with torsional data.

A properly tuned damper should go 100,000+ miles without issues.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am wondering if they were damaged when they were removed.

Think about it like this. If you have an 'inside hub' then a rubber ring outside that, then an 'outer hub', then a pulley remover that is the claw type could damage it. The center is stuck to the crank, and the puller is pulling out on the outer ring, it is not going to be even. I guess that is why they suggest that Chrysler pulley puller be used on our cars. It grabs from the inside instead of the outside.

Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page