2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern

I ordered my aluminum rear window louvers from American Muscle, along with new quarter window covers and new turn signal lights... All which came in last week. All parts were delivered perfect with no "concerns". The Rear louvers came with an installation kit (including brackets and adhesive). Its recommended the adhesive set for 24 hours before attaching the louvers to the brackets. I brought my car to Ford, as I wanted them installed perfect with no "concerns". I picked up the car Wednesday and was pleased with the result. I drove the car home, where it sat in my garage to this day.

I entered my garage last night, to check on my car, and noticed the upper right corner of the rear louvers separating from the window (approximately six inches). The Lovers broke free from the silicone WTF!! It appears the louver forced itself off the window, and wont lay flat. Are the Louvers bent slightly? Are these aluminum louvers not fitted to the design of the car perfectly, and have to be custom fitted .

I am picking up my (now painted) quarter window covers from Ford today, and plan on leaving my car there, for them to fix the rear louvers. Iam now very "concerned" because I dont want some adhesive shot into the problem area, and the rear louver reattached. The area needs to be stripped clean before this repair, which probably means removing the entire rear louver...Arg! I plan on conveying this "concern" to Ford, but Geez...What a headache! Does anyone have any insight , or a similar experience with these rear window louvers?

These are the louvers I have...
Mustang Smooth Aluminum Rear Window Louvers - (2005-2010) at AmericanMuscle

05 Mustang GT Coupe (Modifications in profile)
91 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible (Bone Stock)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

I have heard some complaints about the aluminum ones for sure. I prefer the good quality Saleen style plastic ones. I have had mine on in Michigan winters and summers for a couple years now, on probably the roughest roads in the nation. No issues whatsoever

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009

Mine come unglued with extreme temp changes. I'm in GA so some days it will go from 95 degrees in the day to 40 degrees at night and for sure it will make mine want to warp. Even in my garage. The adhesive that most shops use is junk. I've started using gasket maker and it seems to be holding much better.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got the Roush rear window louver and I only had one problem with it and thats when I first got it installed. The adhesive didnt stick so i took it off and cleaned the area with alcohol wipes and I havent had a problem since.

The roush window louvers are a very good metal. I wouldnt have chose any other brand.

06 Mustang GT - AT

Show
- Roush racing stripes, spoiler, quarter window louvers, & rear louvers- Shelby Razor 20x9 rims, side scoops, hood pins- Push button Ignition

Go- Roush CAI- Steeda UDP- Magnaflow X-Pipe- SCT Xcal 3- Ford Racing 3.73 gears

Future Show- C/S rear bumper, Re-stripe, Engine dress up

Future Go - Camshafts, Kooks LT, CMCV delete plates

1/4 mile ET: 13.377
1/4 mile MPH: 103.77
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxthemax View Post
Mine come unglued with extreme temp changes. I'm in GA so some days it will go from 95 degrees in the day to 40 degrees at night and for sure it will make mine want to warp. Even in my garage. The adhesive that most shops use is junk. I've started using gasket maker and it seems to be holding much better.
Thanks for the info...We will be entering some fluctuating temps soon in FLA, and I foresee further concerns with the adhesive.

I dropped my car off today and hopefully by Friday I will have the louvers fixed, as well as the quarter window covers and new turn signal on... I will post pics of the final job

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009
Apprentice

I have been running aluminum rear window louvers on by '05 for well over four years; closer to five. Mine came from CDC and use the 3M tape method. You may, unfortunately, have a fittment issue with the ones you received. Possible slightly twisted due to manufacturing defect causing one side to lift. You'd be able to tell if they were damaged in shipping or handling. Installation is pretty hard to screw up. If that is the case I'd just contact AM for return instructions. Aggravating but at least they didn't come off at 70 mph. Good luck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009
MACH I Member

Garage
The prep of the window and bracket is very important to insuring the brackets stay attached to the windshield. I had to re-do mine twice, after i was dis-pleased with the dealers install.
You'll need; 3M Extra Strength Automotive Tape (comes with red backing), Adhesive Promoter and a hair dryer.
1. Clean the windshield surface and bracket, where tape will go, with alcohol.
2. Apply Adhesive Promoter to both the windshield and bracket.
3. Warm up the bracket with hairdryer...nice and warm too and apply the 3M automotive tape covering entire bracket surface that will go against windshield. Apply pressure to tape, I used some small automotive clothes pin style clamps. Making sure the tape got stuck on there real good.
4. Warm up the windshield with hairdryer, nice and warm too.
5. Peel off red backing on tape and apply bracket to windshield at exact spot you want it. Apply pressure. I rigged a long pole, wedged against garage ceiling and bracket with a block of wood on bracket to insure even pressure and let it sit overnight. Keeping constant pressure on the bracket to insure tape got stuck on real good.

Since going thru this process over a year ago, I've not had a single problem with the brackets trying to lift off the windshield and its been out in direct sunlight over the summer where I know the surface temp was up there.

It's all in the prepping of the windshield and brackets and the dealers won't take the time needed to do it right. We will though!!

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009
PONY Member

Louvers that use 3M tape seem to be more secure. For about the same price, you can get aluminum louvers that are hinged for easy window cleaning. You might consider returning those and getting the hinged type that also use 3M tape.

JLT series 3 c.a.i., detroit rocker cams, various tunes, roush front fascia w/chin spoiler.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangdave2008 View Post
Louvers that use 3M tape seem to be more secure. For about the same price, you can get aluminum louvers that are hinged for easy window cleaning. You might consider returning those and getting the hinged type that also use 3M tape.

from the pic, his looked to be the hinged type, similar to the Roush louvers I have.

PONY Member

He has bought the Astro-Hammond Louvers, which are not hinged. While I do prefer the looks & the extra slat of that brand, there has been problems with the mounting pads on them. Usually a clean, prepped install corrects the problem.
Also, check how the louvers set against the window, as some people have had to 'tweak' the louvers to fit evenly prior to mounting the pads.

Do a search on the various Mustang Forums for 'Rear Window Louvers' for tips on getting your mounting pads permantly attached.
I have the MRT/Visus brand on mine & have had almost 3 yrs with no issues.

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 1055
Previous Mustangs;
Torch Red 2006 GT
20 Yrs of Mini-vans
Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302
Lime Green 1969 Notchback Coupe
Maroon 1967 Vert
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircare84 View Post
I have the MRT/Visus brand on mine & have had almost 3 yrs with no issues.
I saw those at the 45th Anniversary MRT Vendor site. Liked them. Knew if I ever needed to replace my current ones, I'd go with these.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FLStangGT View Post
I ordered my aluminum rear window louvers from American Muscle, along with new quarter window covers and new turn signal lights... All which came in last week. All parts were delivered perfect with no "concerns". The Rear louvers came with an installation kit (including brackets and adhesive). Its recommended the adhesive set for 24 hours before attaching the louvers to the brackets. I brought my car to Ford, as I wanted them installed perfect with no "concerns". I picked up the car Wednesday and was pleased with the result. I drove the car home, where it sat in my garage to this day.

I entered my garage last night, to check on my car, and noticed the upper right corner of the rear louvers separating from the window (approximately six inches). The Lovers broke free from the silicone WTF!! It appears the louver forced itself off the window, and wont lay flat. Are the Louvers bent slightly? Are these aluminum louvers not fitted to the design of the car perfectly, and have to be custom fitted .

I am picking up my (now painted) quarter window covers from Ford today, and plan on leaving my car there, for them to fix the rear louvers. Iam now very "concerned" because I dont want some adhesive shot into the problem area, and the rear louver reattached. The area needs to be stripped clean before this repair, which probably means removing the entire rear louver...Arg! I plan on conveying this "concern" to Ford, but Geez...What a headache! Does anyone have any insight , or a similar experience with these rear window louvers?

These are the louvers I have...
Mustang Smooth Aluminum Rear Window Louvers - (2005-2010) at AmericanMuscle
I got my car back and I am pleased with the result...Ford removed the rear louvers, and reinstalled, using a stronger adhesive. I also had them slap on my new quarter window covers and turn signal lights, which came out perfect

Check out the pics...
2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern-picture-038.jpg2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern-picture-039.jpg2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern-picture-040.jpg2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern-picture-041.jpg
2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern-picture-042.jpg2005 Mustang GT Rear louver concern-picture-043.jpg

Rookie

Cost?

How much did it cost for ford to put the rear louver on??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page