Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucking engine wiring

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  OrangeCrush 
#1 ·
Anyone remember the thread where the guy went completely insane and detailed his engine compartment TO DEATH. The main think I am looking for is what he did with all of his wiring. I seem to remember he hid 90% of it. It was a hell of a job. I can’t find it. Can someone please think of something to find it (STL cough, cough)?

Since I have the entire car stripped out I figured it would be a good time to “fix” Fords beautiful wiring job under there. A little cheating with that guys pics would be a great head start.

thanks

#3 ·
I very sure i also have seen that car. I looks nice with that main harness tucked out of the way. I belive they brought the harness to the sides and down more, really the only wires left to see are the injector wire coming up from underneath.

After looking at the engine harness, it doesnt look like to bad of a job to un-tie the entire harness and move it with the main harness hidden with only the extention of a few wires on the drivers side. :bigthumbsup Its one of the first things i noticed under their that wouldnt be to bad of a job with a bunch of new loom and some shrink wrap.

#4 ·
I very sure i also have seen that car. I looks nice with that main harness tucked out of the way. I belive they brought the harness to the sides and down more, really the only wires left to see are the injector wire coming up from underneath.

After looking at the engine harness, it doesnt look like to bad of a job to un-tie the entire harness and move it with the main harness hidden with only the extention of a few wires on the drivers side. :bigthumbsup Its one of the first things i noticed under their that wouldnt be to bad of a job with a bunch of new loom and some shrink wrap.
You didn't look very close then:gringreen

#5 ·
#6 ·
I believe it's somewhere in this thread, Chevykiller Reloaded - WWW.S197FORUM.COM

I don't think he went into details though, just showing the work done.
Thanks for the link but that’s not the guy. I know I saw it here because I have never gone to another board. The guy had a fairly stock/bolt on setup but the engine compartment was ready for a show. He had custom valve covers, etc, etc, etc. He had pics of everything pulled out and laid down on the ground, what he removed, what he saved, what he changed, etc. I would like to see it again to see what he did. I have some ideas of how I could make it real nice but it would be a LOT of work and I hate wiring stuff. I’m trying to see if my ideas are the “hard way” and someone else has come up with something less time intensive.
I could re-do the entire engine compartment, build a custom fuse block, use all aircraft connectors, etc. But I would rather stick a sharp stick in my eye.

#10 ·
I just seem to notice that the main harness has a lot of play, and if undone and modified slighly, there is enough wire to work with to tuck it down to the left and right with only a few wires on the ds that would need lengthening. And still keeping most of the harness in the stock configuration just moving it lower. Idk im just really curious as to how work it out as i also have been thinking ford could have done the wiring in a much cleaner manner.

#11 ·
wire tuck was quite easy. just depends on ur setup my car has no ac or heater core so i put it all under the dash and fed wires through the firewall and filled the holes. ran the lighting harness down the driverside fender and did a lil rewire wraping. find new ground locations. some wires need extending it jsut depends on the year and how much u wanna hide.

#12 ·
Says the guy with an 86':worship

#13 ·
I have an extra AT harness sitting around and to piggyback on what Squidd said, this thing is HUGE. I have plans to try and run the harness in the valley of the block. That seems to be the easiest way to get this done, but that's just looking at it at a glance.

I've had an idea that involved running the bulk of the harness on the front sway bar and essentially reverse the way that it is routed. That would take a butt-ton of work though and the possibility for error would increase dramatically.

I still don't fully understand how one could run it on the frame rails without the heat doing anything to it. It just seems like the harness would be so close to the exhaust manifolds that problems would be inevitable, but I guess it's possible.

Eager to see what you come up with Squidd. I know it will be :kooky:

#14 ·
Anyone remember the thread where the guy went completely insane and detailed his engine compartment TO DEATH. The main think I am looking for is what he did with all of his wiring. I seem to remember he hid 90% of it. It was a hell of a job. I can’t find it. Can someone please think of something to find it (STL cough, cough)?

Since I have the entire car stripped out I figured it would be a good time to “fix” Fords beautiful wiring job under there. A little cheating with that guys pics would be a great head start.

thanks
OMG what a project that would be:worship

You evidently have way to much free time on your hands or your way more anal than you let on:D

#15 ·
I do have a lot of free time. Work for myself and no kids.:bigthumbsup

And yes, when I decide to do something I go crazy. I will either leave the harness as is or go crazy and completely re-do it. After I get the rest of the car put back together we'll see how I feel.:)

#18 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.